THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Holy Crap, you won't believe this, update from Rottweilers
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy Crap, you won't believe this, update from Rottweilers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Get this, the lady that owns the 2 aggressive Rotts has informed us that if we WALK WAY AROUND the property and stay out of view of the dogs, they might not charge again. This BEYOTCH is now telling us we can't walk where we want on our own hunting grounds!

Now I'm pissed off.

First off, these dogs go where they want and unfortunately, the property we hunt across the road joins theirs, even though it is down into the hardwoods and drops off down into a ravine. Don't think the dogs could see us but to get there, now she's telling us to walk all the way around and not out the driveway!

Would any of you allow a neighbor to instruct you not to walk anywhere on YOUR property in sight of her dogs because if you do HER dogs just might have another go at you??

Some nerve. I see 2 dead dogs in the very near future. My friend, who is the landowner is PISSED!!!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
What a dumb bit**! Did you tell her that the 2 dogs were going to end up with holes in them?SmilerThats some nerve..your right. I'm a little pissed just reading it..let alone being involed in the situation!

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Doc:

After reading your other thread on this subject, I expect that the time for restraint has long passed. If I were you, I would definately load up as soon as I left the house and go where you want to go on your friend's property. If the dogs charge you as they did before, I think you would be justified in killing them.

Be careful, however, that the state's hunting regulations don't prohibit you from having a loaded gun within "x" number of yards from an occupied building. You might get a citation for shooting too close to the houses.

It might be a good idea to file a police report on the first incident so that if you have to kill the dogs a history of bad behavior by the dogs will have been established.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Doc,

I've followed the other thread as able--been busy lately!

Normally, I refrain from telling people what to do.

I think you or someone needs to "take care of the problem." In the other thread, you mentioned the "what if" of having your 4 year old with you.

With dogs like that, it's not if the mofos will get into someone, its when will it happen.

And then your landowner (the one you hunt with) will have a real lawsuit, and maybe even felony charges up against him. Doesn't matter that the dogs weren't his, they were on his land, etc.

Do it and be done with it!

Sorry this is such a mess for you. But think of what might happen Frowner

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Doc, can you tote a shotgun and your muzz legally there? If so I'd find a light to carry scatter gun and load it heavily w/ 00 Buck. If they do charge, at least you'd be ready for business!

There's no way someone would tell me how to get around on my own property.

I had a poacher(he's a landline hugger that likes to shoot on both sides) try and tell me last year how to approach my stands that I've been hunting all my life on my family's land just so I don't disturb his spot. I told him I'd keep going the same route and if he didn't like it I'd gladly put up a 10' game fence on the property line so he wouldn't see any deer anyway. Never heard anything out of him after that.

If I were the land owner in your case I'd kindly tell the lady that I had all intentions to travel down the drive as I always have on my own property and if her dogs cross the property line they will be shot imediately. When she's hears the seriousness of that response she'll lock them up if she cares anything about them. If she doesn't care about harm to them, they need to be put down anyway.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc
Tie a string to a steak and drag it into the woods with you. What you do when you get there is up to you. Make sure you have a shovel stashed back there.

Perry

ps quit talking about this publicly as it could be used against you in our twisted court systems

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm just blown away by this lady.

Legally, there is something called premeditation, ie., I cannot tell her "I'm GOING to shoot your dogs if...." I can get into trouble with that.

Even so, they'd have to PROVE it was me that did the shooting.

Moreover, it is ILLEGAL to carry 2 firearms at the same time during gun deer season. I think the state of Ohio certainly considers a ML a firearm. But, lets face it, I'm confident that many hunters carry their pistola with them when they're out in the boonies.

I've already decided to get a shotgun for deerhunting. Any recommendations?

I can put 3 slugs in it. It has to be plugged. Also, we all talked about it and decided that we will walk wherever we please on the places we hunt, but just do it in pairs.

I'm not overly concerned about making this public, it is my way of venting. I'll still avoid the dogs and I really think this lady will do the right thing and start penning her dogs when she realizes we are there hunting.

She just learned that the other neighbor, about a quarter mile up the drive has a nickname: "Dog Killer."

He has a reputation of killing any and all dogs he sees on his property. My buddy just told me that yesterday. Apparently the Rotts have made there way by his place and he's already submitted a warning. He's an ex con. Maybe he'll shoot the damn things and get it over with for the rest of us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Report it to law enforcment. make a paper trail. Write her a letter sent by certified mail return required. Them you have protected your self and your friend from possible litigation. You are allowed (except in Leftaforina and Hillery York) to use what ever force to protect your self and others from imminant physical danger. The road is a public way and just as you could put dowm a human mauler on the public way you can put down an animal, wild or domestic. Think of it as practice for the trip into the brush of Africa. The "dogs" make good lion substitutes. LOL
Just cover your ass first.
Your friend and sometime lawyer
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
File a police report about the original incident and then tell her to go pound sand. Find out exactly what your legal rights are, then exercise them.

Make things squeaky clean; the woman is clearly an idiot.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'll take two bowls of antifreeze to go please.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just read the post you made just ahead of mine. Small buck shot is better than a slug for dog killing. Even better in close action is a load of number 4s or sixes. A good pump is quick and reliable. The ex-con had best be careful- they are not allowed to possess a firearm under federal law.
Another suggestion- call the Bi-zich when you start out, at say 4:00 AM and tell her to put the Dogs up, you are going to be on the road. If she does great, you don't have to worry. If she does not, you don't know that they were hers that you shot because you gave her notice. Also, If you hunted for a week and called her every morning at going out time, say 4:00 AM, I'll bet she will start putting the dogs up to stop your calls.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Judge, unfortunately, I don't think the 00 is legal. I'm fairly certain that Ohio requires a slug.

I really like the idea of calling at 4am though!!

The ex con doesn't give a crap. We've already watched him shoot a couple deer this year. I didn't know he was an ex con either til this year. But we've seen him with deer left and right. Maybe he's using a ML and since the ATF does not consider it a firearm, that is what he's using. I don't know.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cwilson:
Be careful, however, that the state's hunting regulations don't prohibit you from having a loaded gun within "x" number of yards from an occupied building. You might get a citation for shooting too close to the houses.

It's not that, but you cannot carry a loaded firearm until it is legal light to shoot, which is 1/2 hr before sunrise to sunset.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
the 4 am phone calls are pricelss. And all in the guise of "good neighbor relations".

Love it. Heck call at 3, 4 and 5 so she gets plenty of warning.

Remove the collars, bury them deep. SSS rules apply.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is your shotgun recommendation. Remington 870 3 in magnum. Reasonably priced, very dependable and they come with a plug to make it a 3 shot gun. They also have multiple chokes that come with it. They have an express model that is very affordable if you dont want the classic. You can get a rifled barrel for it also. I concur with everyone else. If the dogs come at you again, make it the last time they do.

Posts: 141 | Location: Upstate, New York | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ust feed the mongrels some rump steak laced with 10/80 or Lucy Jet if you can still eget it in the states...........................problem solved Wink

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the obvious and filed a report with animal control to see if they will take care of the problem for you? Heck, they may get her for unlicenses dogs, or CDD (crazy dangerous dog) or out of control dogs or whatever local animal control ordiance may be in effect. Hopefully, they will pay a visit to her and the dogs will go after them. Then you are about guaranteed that the dogs will be gone.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With that attitude, anyone care to bet if the woman votes Democrat???

headshot with a 22 will take down a rottweiler...

a little meat, will get their attention first...

end of problem...

unless she gets another rottweiler.. and then just repeat until she gets the message...

i am sure that she can't do much if her dogs are killed on someone else's property.. when they were being a threat....

I hate to see anyone shoot a dog, as I have more faith in a dog than I do most people in today's society....but Rottweilers, can get as aggressive as Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton on a mission!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Free legal advice from a prosecutor: File for an injunction (anti-harassment, anti-nuisance order) in which the court would order the dog owner to keep these dangerous curs off your property. Definitely file a complaint with the sheriff or county animal control officer, or whatever agencies would have jurisdiction in you county, detailing this and any other incidents. THEN carry a shotgun with slugs for deer hunting. (At a minimum, file the comlaint before you find yourself in the position of having to shoot in self-defense.)
If you have to shoot the dogs, or if you are attacked and injured and have to sue (or your insurance carrier has to sue) for damages, you will have greatly improved your legal footing. The reports document the past behavior, which will help prove the reasonability of your fear of getting munched, which is why you shot the mutts, and will help prove up the unreasonability of the dog-owner's behavior in not taking steps to keep you from getting hurt or the dogs getting puffed. If there is a court order in place requiring the dog owner to take reasonable steps (like penning the dogs or keeping them in her undoubtedly very smelly house) and they get out, even if you don't end up hurt or shooting them, there is usually some remedy for violation of the injunction, such as a forfeiture (fine), confiscation of the dogs or possibly incarceration for violating the order (contempt of court.)

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My advice is not to put any of what you might do in writing on the net such as was done here.

Then to follow the law. I would carry a camera that has video. Even cell phones have that now. Get a video of the dogs when they are off of their property. Then file a complaint with the law.

Don't shoot the dogs or do anything else to them unless it really really is true self defense. Even then take all action to avoid harming the dogs. You don't want the dog lovers down on you. You could have a crowd of them on your lawn every day. You don't want that.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've already decided to get a shotgun for deerhunting. Any recommendations?

Doc,

I fixed up my 11-87 for Iowa this past spring. I installed a Hastings rifled barrel w/ cantilever and a 2-7 Nikon. It will shoot Winchester Supreme 385 Partition Golds into around 2" at 100. The bad thing is those rounds cost 3 bucks a pop!

The 3" Remington Copper Solids shoot good as well but, they don't have the trajectory of the Wins.

It will shoot reloads (Cast 525 grn Lymans) into around 3".

The 870 barrels are cheaper than the auto barrels so that may be an idea if you have an 870 laying around. If not you can usually get em' at pawn shops for around $150.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
All of this and I see three posts you really should consider:

1. File a written complaint with all governmental entities tha have juridiction should be foremost.

2. Find out what your legal rights and oblgations are according to state and local law(s).

3. Inform the dog owners of their legal obligations.

4. Be prepared to find the owner will ignore you.

5. Be prepared to do what you have to, but do NOT provoke a situation.

6. Realize that unless they are properly restrained these dog will hurt someone before this is all over.

7. This is NOT time for SSS!!!!!

8. THIS IS TIME FOR PITA FULLY PROPER LEGAL ACTIONS TO COVER YOU, YOUR FAMILY AND VISITORS.

Of course this is just my opinion and legally is totally worthless to cite!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That lady is a piece of crap. Anywhere USA has laws about controlling your dogs . Call the cops . Call animal control. Make reports. Then if they attack you again shoot em. Screw that lady.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Houston (in northern BC) we'd just moved to BC from NWT. 3 of us got a moose early on a buddies LEH. Back at his place to gut and skin etc. The other 2 take the guts and skin away, leaving me. I go back in the house to begin the liquid refreshments. I go back outside to the camper (to get something harder than beer) and am confronted by the nieghbors german shepards. A quick retreat and back out with a 30-06. 2 shots and no more problem. Well then there was another trip to the landfill.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I see a sudden dose of lead poisoning about to happen

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Some Brenekke Dangerous Game Load 600 grain slugs will do the job right and you won't have to worry about her identifying her dogs, because she won't be able too, that is if your shotgun will hold 3 inch shells.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm pretty sure i have the fix for this,go down and buy a can of bear spray(the large can!)guareenteed to repel all large air breathing mammals.go hunting.try and get footage of the incident so we can all enjoy.may be alittle fall out when dogs enter owners house covered in bear spray,refer to footage...

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Free legal advice from a redneck. Load up your 12 ga with 00 buck and go over there rabbit hunting. I wouldn't trust the law or the court's in this country and leave a paper trail.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
As a veterinarian, I would never advocate the antifreeze solution. As a hunter I would never advocate leaving the antifreeze container with your fingerprints on it! Big Grin

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACRecurve:
As a veterinarian, I would never advocate the antifreeze solution. As a hunter I would never advocate leaving the antifreeze container with your fingerprints on it! Big Grin

Bwaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!

clap

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I go with the do everything Legal, such as getting pictures or video, and getting the Sheriffs office or Animal Control Dept. in that area involved.

Even though the owner and the dogs are in the wrong, a judge and or jury might not see it that way.

I don't think you would want to end up the local PETA or HSUS, Poster Boy for animal cruelty.

If this lady is that crazy, and you shoot her dogs, you might end up wishing those dogs had bit you.

Any of us would be mad in the situation, but the way our country is anymore, a person could lose a lot of money defending themself against a charge of animal cruelty. JMO, and we all know opinions are like A-Holes, everybody has one and it stinks.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Bear spray sounds about right to me also. Those dogs will never come around you again.

Good luck.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I don't think I can get bear spray around here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc here in Ohio if you see these dogs running loose all you have to do is call animal control as it is against the law for free roaming dogs. I know that gun season doesn't come back in till the 16th but rabbit season is in now so you can carry shot. If you have a pistol to hunt deer with you have six shots and only one gun is allowed. Muzzel loader season is another story as you only have one shot.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, video! thumb

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
3S!

Shoot, shovel, shut up!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:

I can send you some Big Grin

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck no kidding Doc, I'll send you a can too if you make sure you paint those POS rott's orange with it!!!
MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:

I can send you some Big Grin

They got lot's of it at the Wal-Mart. Got your choice of 2 3/4" or 3"!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the bear spray offers. I'll check into ordering some myself, but if I have to I will take you guys up on it. I'll PM you with my address, and I'll send you a check.