New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Bull This Year
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well it's taken me 30 years of hard hunting to finally crack the 350 mark. I was fortunate enough to do it this year when I drew a tag in a special draw area that I lease for deer hunting. I kill 2-3 bulls every year with a client but this year it was my turn. Opening week came with a huge arctic storm that brought lots of snow and cold weather to MT. Over 300 + elk showed up on our property and I had my pick. Passed up over 30 six and seven point bulls looking for the next level. My wife Niki thought I was crazy until one morning when she actually spotted this bull and said "OK I really think you should look at this one". I did alright......thru my rifle scope.
He's got a 57" main beam with the outside spread at 51" Scored in at 360ish. Hey, Let's see some other Bulls. Elk or Moose!

-

[ 12-11-2002, 06:04: Message edited by: Keith Atcheson ]

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Here is your photo-Congrats!!!! That is an awesome trophy!!

Bob

-

[ 12-11-2002, 05:00: Message edited by: Bob in TX ]

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob in TX,

I think I'm dangerous with this computer. How in the world did my deer end up on your post? [Confused]

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Keith,

I posted the picture for you before you edited your post to get the picture back in. I was trying to give you a hand.

Congrats Again,

Bob

[ 12-11-2002, 06:52: Message edited by: Bob in TX ]

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob. I'm trying to put my elk picture on this post but I'm having difficulty. I'll fix soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE deer Keith . . . can't wait to see the Elk.

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Keith,

This may help, or you can email the picture and I will post it.

Posting Pictures

Regards,
Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith---holy bat gwana--that's a mega buck--where'd you bag that hog at???---can't wait for the elk pic--57" mains is tremendous---chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
now we're talking--great bull---here's two of my Montana bulls from 2001(top) & 1999(bottom) --again sorry about the quality---chris

-

-

[ 12-11-2002, 06:12: Message edited by: csutton7 ]

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C-7

Thanks. I shot the deer in Sonora, Mexico in 97. I put the details and pic on the post "Whats your biggest buck"? Was having a bit of trouble getting my elk on and in the mean time Bob in TX lent a hand and put my deer on here. Nothing like double exposure! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
C-7,

NICE BULLS!!!!! South Central MT. is a happening place [Wink]

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Keith,

I see you got the elk in there!! What a great bull!!

Bob [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Son of a ... I don't know which animal to look at first.

Man, that is an Elk. Nothing like breaking that personal record.

I will not even comment on that Mule Deer ... he needs no comment.

Wow, that is nice.

Well done Keith, very well done.
---------------------------------
Chris, dang, those are huge Elk too!

Is jealousy one of the 7 deadly sins?

[ 12-11-2002, 08:00: Message edited by: Buffalobwana ]

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a Roosevelt.
 -
Here is a bou
 -
Here is a Rocky.
 -
Nice trophys guys!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 42 | Location: washington | Registered: 05 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Guys,
congratulations on your bulls!!!!!!! Very Well Done [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Eek!] congratulations [Eek!] .....really hugh bulls.
We do have no elks here, but the smaller ones.The Reds, which already are big .
I think you need a couple of time to get all this meat out of the bush [Big Grin]
How much are they, by weight? 300KG and up?
You will get some nice kg as steaks [Smile] [Smile]

Is it possible to hunt on an elk as a non resident hunter from overseas?
Or do i have to book such a hunt by an outfitter?

All th ebest and nice X-MAS
Konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Keith, nice bull!

I blew an excellent chance on a big bull... located him in a high meadow. Hiked up to find an ambush site thinking he'd bed well away from the meadow... wrong! He was bedded about fifteen feet off the meadow... dimwit! Well, I'm a smarter hunter now... took a cow the last day of the season.

C7, I think my good friend G.B. guided you on at least one of those bulls?.? They are beauties.

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
konst: Some Canadian provinces require a non-resident to use a guide, but most states in the U.S. allow you to hunt on your own. There is a myriad of individual state laws, regulations, seasons, and application deadlines, so unless you know exactly where and when you intend to hunt, you are probably better off going through an outfitter.

A lot of outfitters participate here on AR, and I'm sure one of them would be glad to visit with you about it.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The depth of my jealousy is an abyss I can not bear to peer into...... Y'all go to hell [Razz]

Posts: 425 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cengel:
The depth of my jealousy is an abyss I can not bear to peer into...... Y'all go to hell [Razz]

Amen!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Dang Capp, was that all in one year?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

I know all about elk getting away. All part of our education. I always tell people I'm hunting elk with the "Elk are the Enemy". They don't get it at first but after some lung tearing vertical walks they come to understand fast [Wink]

Capp, some fine bulls!!! Keep em coming.
I suggested earlier for some moose. Maybe I'll start it out.............. [Big Grin]

In a minute... friggin computer.....ok here we go.

-

[ 12-12-2002, 04:03: Message edited by: Keith Atcheson ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray--very, very nice trophies--

Brad--I wasn't guided by G.B.--who does he guide for--I don't even recognize the initials, but there is one guide I'm going brain dead on--I was guided by M.Z. the 3 times I've been able to hunt with this outfitter-or wait a minute M.Z. was known as KaBoom--for his insightful weather forecasts and song singing and other hilarious antics--is this him--first name is Marty-----chris

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Keith, I understand your elk/enemy completely... After hiking about 130+ miles this season up and down, I'm also reminded of Zumbo's book title "To Heck With Elk Hunting!"

Beautiful Moose!

C7, I thought perhaps you'd taken those bulls on the Bar None Ranch north of Bozeman... the terrain and animals looked like they could be from that area.

Best Regard's,

Brad

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Ray, didn't mean to leave out congrat's to you... those are beautiful trophies... that bottom bull is a brute!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is my friend Jim and this year's moose..he's only 61.5 inches wide, but he has 32 points and 9 brow tines. Taken with a .338 Ruger near another friends cabin. And they say Friday the 13th is unlucky?

-

[ 12-13-2002, 07:48: Message edited by: Canuck ]

Posts: 284 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad--you were extremely close as I was next door to the Bar None--right next door---

Keith--great Moose...

chris

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
 -

Just a tease. I don't know the full story on these, but I took the pic in my friends backyard one day. Someone had dropped them off to score as he is an official B&C scorer.

[Smile] Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
My best bull to date...

-

[Smile] Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Chris, you need say no more... I know EXACTLY where you took them!

Another great moose!

Canuck, way to go!

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris, thanks brad, thanks Kieth. Wish I had pics of all of em but I don't. I'll post a few more.

Buffalobwana:
No those were not in one year.
I couldn't afford that! [Wink]
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ 12-12-2002, 22:54: Message edited by: ray capp ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoss,

You shot the boss!! Seriously, Nice nice bull. A great memory. I hope your friends helped you pack! I love moose hunting and calling them in. VERY INTENSE [Eek!]

Konst #1 I can help you do an elk hunt here in the Western States. If you want to hunt un-guided your challenge is greater but still can be done with lots of ivestigative work on your own ( state by state) or you can sign up with
a service here in the states that helps you meet deadlines for application drawing dates (usually in the first 4 - 5 months of the year and I would check early). You invest the amount of the license fee and perhaps a one time sevice fee and then they apply every year for you until you get a tag or give up or fade away [Frown] If you draw in an area where there is public land and your armed with a good map for public land and the ability to read it you can hunt on your own!

Still, that is a tough route as drawing odds are not good. I'd suggest a guided hunt and the prices vary greatly......anywhere from $3000 to $10,000 or even more. I know of an elk hunt on a huge unfenced ranch in Colorado that has 90 - 100% success on mature bulls and superb accom's for about $6250.00 That type of success on fair chase elk hunting is rare. Or you can hunt Idaho on a packin wilderness hunt for $4500 - $5500. When it comes to elk hunting, because of the inherent low success I'd save my $$ and go on the best guided hunt you can find and afford as many hunters go several times and go home without an elk and end up spending more $$$$. Good luck to you anf if you need more info.........................

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow, guys! Nice bulls, bucks and stags! Unfortunatley I have nothing even remotely close to share with you. I did get a nice bou stag once.

The moose are particularly impressive.

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

Nice!!!!

Ray, You are a serious elk slayer. Keep after em!

Thanks, Ann. Sounds like you are due for a good antlered game hunt!!! I happen to know a good agent.............HEE HEE HEE [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoss,

I think your moose photo needs to be shrunk down as it seems to make the page twice as wide. Maybe someone can help.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Keith, you'd have to do one of those deals like Mike got. I am a po girl. Overtime has been very tight so my bank account is screaming.

You sure get some nice game your way. Makes me dream!

Found a photo of my bou....

From Labrador

-

[Big Grin] He's got a double shovel and a double bez on one side and a double backscratcher on that side too.

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the pic being so big. I have no idea how to shrink it down.

Posts: 284 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
couple of more bou's--Canadian Barren Ground from this year--again scanned in pics aren't the best

-

-

Hoss---nice moose...

R Capp--you da man---

Ann--very well done on a unique 'bou...

Canuck--nice elk---chris

[ 12-13-2002, 04:43: Message edited by: csutton7 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice couple a bous' chris. Where did you get those if you don't mind me asking?