Find
Notify
Tools

Elk vs. Dall Sheep
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted
This question maybe in the wrong forum, but here it goes. I have not had the opportunity to hunt either species. However, I do want to hunt both at some point. I'm 34 years old and have been an avid white tail deer and duck hunter. But as things will have it, in the next couple of years, I will begin reaping the fruits of my labor and will have the money and time to be able to afford to go on some different adventures. So while I day dream of days to come, I pose this question for those that have had the experience to hunt BOTH Dall Sheep AND Elk, but of course will take responses from anyone else as well. Comments are always welcome too, such as where would you recommend a trip to.

Question:
If you were allowed one hunt over the next 5 year period and you could choose between going to hunt Dall Sheep or Elk, which one would you choose?

Choices:
Dall Sheep
North American Elk

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I can hunt elk at home (Colorado). If I could afford a Dall hunt; that's what I would do.

But then once you have gone on one sheep hunt, you will have the fever.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I go elk hunting each year so my vote is the Sheep.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Same as the other guys, plus the sheep hunt is getting more expensive every year and I get older every year!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I go Dall Sheep hunting every year and my vote is still Dall Sheep...

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Dall sheep if indeed the criteria is ONE hunt between Dall or elk over the next 5 years. The thing to consider is that one could go on multiple ~5K guided elk hunts for the ~12-15K minimum price of a Dall's sheep hunt these days. Or an elk + black bear + mule deer. Personally I would still select the sheep hunt.

Or, you could look at say Namibia for 7+ animals for the same money...there are options.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bill - go to Africa!!! and hunt 7 to 10 species, eat great good, have a great PH, sleep in a bed and take a bath everyday....

Posts: 10206 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
What can I say, I'm a fan of the elk hunt... More meat for the table whether trophie bull hunting or cow hunting... Plus it's a fun hunt...

Here in Arizona we don't run into a whole lot of rugged canyon scenarios so it is easier going then a Colorado hunt... But then to sheep hunting in this state is a once in a lifetime event (in other words you only get drawn once)....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
skyjacker- I am in the same boat except I have also hunted mulies and antelope. I am trying to put the dough together to do a dall's hunt,so true getting more expensive and I'm not getting younger.Elk is certainly on the short list but the sheep will be a once in a lifetime.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
been on many many elk hunts but only 1 dall sheep hunt, no question that the sheep hunt would be my choice. But as posted by others, you get a lot of relative bang-for-your-buck with elk as opposed to sheep. And yes, you would get sheep fever!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunt Sheep while you are young and in shape.

kk alaska

One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
i have been blessed to be able to hunt both. my advice would be to hunt your sheep first, only because of your age and the physical strains of sheep hunting, then hunt elk. personally i like elk hunting much more but i think that is because i like the meat so much and is not quite as expensive. your whitetail experiences will help you with either one.

b h

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Since I am able to hunt dall sheep every year, I chose elk. I hunted them for several years when I was stationed in Idaho. Hunting big bull elk during the rut with archery gear is one of the most exciting hunts I have ever done and to have a chance to shoot a monster 6x6 with my bow again would be a dream come true.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted either, but I would rather go for Elk. Sheep just don't do anything for me.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I have elk practically running through my backyard--so my choice would be easy; but obviously this is about you (who lives in Georgia)-- In your position I would choose Dall sheep-- as someone pointed out, hunt them while you are young and in good shape.

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SkyJacker ----- Real easy answer, the Dall Sheep hunt first. At 35 you may think yourself invincable, but time will win that debate. Get the sheep out of your system, then you will have plenty of time for the Elk hunt, which lacks a lot being as physical as the high country hunt. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kk alaska:
Hunt Sheep while you are young and in shape.

I am your age and have shot two sheep. I am looking forward to doing some elk hunting soon. (might be moving back to MT)(really,really want to anyways).

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I geuss I'm contrary to popular opinion once again, I would recommend to go on a couple mountain hunts like Elk and Mule Deer in the High Mountains before spending all that money on a Sheep hunt. I hunt Elk every year right where I live, I've also taken a Bighorn hunting solo here in Colorado. Some people are not ever going to enjoy a mountain hunt whether it be for Sheep or Elk because it is strenuous and requires a certain drive that not everyone has. I know this because I see people every year that aren't willing to persue Elk or Deer for that matter into the steepest and hardest to get to areas and I am grateful for that. That is why I am a successful hunter and when I hunt where I choose to I don't see anyone else out there. I especially don't see them out there when I'm making those multiple pack trips in and out with a quarter of an Elk on your back, if I did I'd ask for help!
I'll be 46 in a couple months and feel the drive still to this day to hike to the top of every peak and follow up any track that looks worthwhile and I'm sure I'll have the drive for a while longer.
If it was me I go on a Mountain hunt or two for Elk then once you have some of that under your belt go after a Sheep.
Just my opinion.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
SkyJacker, You have your youth, so plan the hunt now and go sooner than you think is feasible! You can never get enough days afield, and the hills will not get any gentler. Of my greatest trophies, I include the Dall as one of them even though it is a representative specimen... Then again I don't put my work in a book. Wink

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
I've hunted and shot both, I would definately say do the sheep hunt first!!!!

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I have also successfully hunted both, but since I can hunt elk every year, literaly out of my back door, I'd pick the Dall sheep hunt. Also, the sheep hunt costs and the sheep mountains get higher every year.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunt Sheep while you are young and in shape

cheers

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would hunt elk first. That way when you are worn out hiking up the mountain and sit down for a breather you can gander on the upper tops of the mountains and figure that is where the Dall Sheep are.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:
Same as the other guys, plus the sheep hunt is getting more expensive every year and I get older every year!!

I agree! Sheep hunt while you are young and in better shape

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
Dall sheep if indeed the criteria is ONE hunt between Dall or elk over the next 5 years. The thing to consider is that one could go on multiple ~5K guided elk hunts for the ~12-15K minimum price of a Dall's sheep hunt these days. Or an elk + black bear + mule deer. Personally I would still select the sheep hunt.

Or, you could look at say Namibia for 7+ animals for the same money...there are options.
Since Dall sheep hunting is cheaper for me, zero cost for the "harvest ticket", than an elk hunt. I'll pick the sheep hunt. Big Grin

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What exactly do you want in an elk hunt? Just the experience of hunting new game, or a trophy? You can't just decide to hunt big elk one day, you'll want to apply for limited entry hunts for several years for your best shot at a nice elk.

Start applying for elk this year in a few of the better states and gear up for you sheep hunt soon. Just like others have said, you'll want to do it now, while you are in better shape, and you can hunt elk in several states after applying for those years.

Posts: 58 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dancing Sheep Sheep Sheep

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're young start earning your preference points now for Grizzly Bear,Elk,Moose,Sheep,Goats,Bison & monster Mule Deer,etc.I'm 72 and have 5 CA Preference points for elk: Ca has 3 types:Roosevelt,Tule or Rocky Mtn;Mule Deer & Antelope but how long I'll be healthy enough to pursue big game is unknown.I've never been interested in Big Horn Sheep which habituate the eastern San Bernardino County Desert and San Gorgonio Mountain to the north and east of my home.I'm not a head hunter haven't found a recipe for cornified epithelial tissue(antlers to the laymen)and a rut weary buck or elk just doesn't taste that great.I'll take a cow or doe any day to a bull or buck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were allowed only one hunt over the next 5 years, I would contemplate harakiri!

But I guess you mean guided hunt, so it would be dall sheep; I have elk to hunt around here. But even if I hadn't it would still be dall sheep.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting ready to turn 50. I run daily and work with weights as well, so can still handle a rough hunt. That said, I am nearing the point of no return for a dall sheep hunt, in 5 years it just may not be physically possible. I can hunt horseback for many years for elk, besides I've hunted elk many times, no sheep, so my decision was simple.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO, I don't think it's fair to compare an elk hunt to that of a sheep hunt.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm the oddity here.

I'd much rather hunt elk than sheep. True, I've never hunted sheep, but that's because I've never WANTED to.

I think a lot of the "attraction" with sheep is the (how do I say this delicately...? Wink) snob appeal. It is more of an "elite" sport, but that may just be me.

I guess I have always seen myself as a "down home" type hunter, who just enjoys being out, than being able to say "Look at what/where I did/shot/hunted".

I'd actually rather just hunt whitetail around the house than go after a sheep. They've just never done it for me...

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Sheep. As a few others have stated (trust me), one day you won't be able to make it up that mountain. I still dream of going back, but I wake up. Old age takes a toll that no exercise bike will bring back. I've been on my last sheep hunt, but know I can find elk at elevations that won't fry my pacemaker. Get your sheep now. The elk will be there when you're ready and CAN'T go up the mountain.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You've gotten really good advice. Take the sheep hunt while you are young enough, elk hunting is much less physcially demanding. Also, sheep hunting is probably going to get more restrictive and more expensive. After a Dall hunt in the AK Range most everything else will seem a little easier.

Posts: 66 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 5 sheep and 6 bull elk, so I have experience with both.

I am a bit puzzled as to why you can only go on one hunt in the next five years. If it cost only, then you could go on one "premium" elk hunt for the cost of the sheep hunt. But more truthfully, you can go on two elk hunts for the cost of one sheep hunt, so the question becomes "Two elk hunts or one sheep hunt?"

My vote: if you haven't been to Africa, go there first, even if only a plains game hunt. Otherwise, I think Snellstrom gives the best advice.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From this 62 years young man who just returned from the NWT there is no question in my mind that I would do the sheep hunt first for the obvious reason, physically demanding. When you fly into Norman Wells and see those mountains you will understand!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I've been to Alaska for Dall as well as NWT (Norman Wells,) for Dall and without a doubt I'd take elk any day. I've gotten the Dall and the Big Horn and I'd never do it again though I'm glad I did them. The challenge to sheep is the rough country not the game as evidenced by success rates. I'm a confirmed elk hunter, more fun, more challenge and country just as pretty. And besides it's less expensive.

Take elk!!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
My vote: if you haven't been to Africa, go there first, even if only a plains game hunt. Otherwise, I think Snellstrom gives the best advice.

I don't want to sound sacriligeous, my cousin 1115 and his friend Judge G talk about Africa so much, but it just doesn't float my boat. There are only two species in Africa I have any interest in hunting and if I went, I would want to go bow hunting for them is Kudu and Impala.

I definately am not choosing between Elk and Sheep. I will do both. But I'm thinking Sheep first. I like the idea of having to physically train for 6 months to a year before even being ready to go. Something about that type of preparation makes me want it more.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote