Find
Notify
Tools

Bob Milek
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Guns and Ammo had a nice article about Milek this month. Penned by Craig.

Growing up in Milek country, it was common to hear some stories as he lived within a 100 miles of me in Wyoming when I was a kid.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
I always liked reading his articles .... One of the good guys.

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also enjoyed his writings. He was responsible for me wanting to use handguns to hunt. Great writer.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
That is why my first rifle I bought was a 25-06.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I just sold my 25-06 that I have had many years, I'll buy another when we get set up.

Me too on the specialty pistols.

I once owned a 284 Winchester Xp-100 that he had someone build for him.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
His writing got me started in handgun hunting. He was a good one!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I read everything Bob wrote when I was a kid. He did a great job and inspired me to hunt with a handgun.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I read his articles each month in the 80s when I used to subscribe to Peterson's Hunting.

He had a bit to do with me getting a 280 (mine is an Ack Imp).

By today's standards some of his loads are too hot and need to be dropped by a grain or two.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great writer, really down to earth style...

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Another fan here. He had his blind spots (refused to believe the .45 Colt could be safely loaded up because of the "weak" case), but thanks to him, I had to have a Contender in .30 Herrett -- my first wildcat. Agree he had a fresh way with words, too.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too many writers today haven't "lived the life" - but Bob Milek sure did. Bob Hagel was similar.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed reading Bob Milek. I still use some of his work as reference from time to time.

CENTERFIRE REVOLVERS, TROUBLESHOOTING AND TUNING, is one of his works that I keep handy.

Posts: 283 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know of a collection of his writing?

E-collection preferred.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites. Got me into Contenders and Handgun hunting. Would love to see G&A reprint a bunch of his articles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like he got a lot of us interested in pistol hunting. He wrote in a way that was informative and enjoyable. Wish there werre more writers like him.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was down to earth, his writing, skill and experience was evident. I thoroughly enjoyed his writings in the 70's.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm another who got interested in the 25-06 by his writings. Had it for years and finally sold it
last year....oh well, something had to go and it wasn't in future plans.
Truly enjoyed his writing.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I grew up reading him ,like his simple writing ,althoug i dont like pistol-carbines i prefer Ross Seyfried revolvers for true handgun hunting .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I grew up reading every hunting magazine out there,
as my did was not interested in hunting. As I grew older Icould skim the B.S. from the real and Bob
was the cream of the crop. I had two Peterson's
magazines totally with his articles and loaned them
to a new hunter and never got them back. I miss them
almost as much as if I had met or known Bob.
One day I will get to meet him and shake his wing.

Posts: 9 | Location: Dallas,Tx. USA | Registered: 08 January 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed reading his articles very much.

I remember getting a bit of a laugh reading one of his articles on hunting deer with a 375 Magnum revolver.

In which he stated it had enough energy and a good deer killer.

But, a few months earlier, he had written an article saying that the 243 Winchester might not have enough energy to kill a deer at the longer ranges clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67469 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote