New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts PLEASE!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been offered the oportunity to hunt a small 40 acre tract this year and was wondering if this would be too small to hunt with a rifle. I am thinking I should hunt this with a bow to minimize spooking deer on the property. I am not a bow hunter and would have to purchase and learn to shoot one. I have always hunted public land with rifle. I would love to be able to hunt this with a gun but I think it may just be a little too small. What do you guys think?

Posts: 144 | Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hunt it correctly and one can use any weapon you want.

How many times to you actually shoot? regardless of weapon.

You can screw up a hunting area without even carrying a weapon.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
No, not at all. My bro is there in SC and has hunted several small tracts of land with his rifle and it's never been a problem...sees deer all the time.

Also sees deer within 10-15 minutes after he's downed a deer.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I guess it would depend on how close neighbors are.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Depends upon where your hunting. If it's the SC low land, unless you have dense woods to hunt in and from a tree stand, I'd consider a muzzle loader or shotgun. If on the other hand your in hilly country, I'd stay in the tree stand and be very careful about the direct you fire into. Common sense and gun safety will guide you. If you really have concerns (kudos' for you for being a conscientious hunter) go the M/L or shotgun route.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Handgun?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
It would depend on the game density and nearness of residences/people.

Out West here usually 40 acres isn't worth wasting your time because the game density is pretty low. For my hunting business I rarely even look at a potential lease that's less than 1,000 acres and it doesn't get interesting until 3,000 and up.

But my brother-in-law hunts a wooded part of northeastern KS with lots of farming and he kept telling me about this place where he, his friends and half the people in his little town were getting their bucks every year. It turned out it was 80 acres... right on the edge of town... AND across the street from the local high school. I still can't get over it.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40 acres can be real big, real small or just right depending on all of the above. As was said, you don't need a weapon to screw up the hunting.

Ask the property owner what he/she would prefer, then choose accordingly. If you're just looking for a good excuse to buy a bow and get into bow hunting then by all means do so.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
use the bow. you can still take plenty of game and no one will know you are there. the best of both worlds.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt an 80 acre plot of land in Wy but just mainly the north 40 as the south is a hill. I have houses on three sides so have to watch shot direction. Deer density isn't too bad but have to wait for them to come to me. I drive my truck right up to the stand also which is uphill from my camper. Heart condition won't let me walk. Don't see many bucks though except on the neighbors.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt my forty with anywhere from 1-3 people, mainly on stands or doing a small"push" to one another. This is whitetail hunting in the thick woods of northern Mn.We get our deer every year. There are a lot of places for a deer to hide on even just a 40.

Posts: 549 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
You could always use a shotgun and slugs if you are worried about the bullet carrying too far.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I have 20 acre's of land in WV, and I use rifles, handguns, bow and muzzleloader's. But the land I hunt on is all mountains.

There is a lot of variables to take into consideration on what you use to hunt with.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
You could always use a shotgun and slugs if you are worried about the bullet carrying too far.

Those carry just about as far as center fire rifles according to some studies. I just wish we could use a rifle in Ohio.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Some of the new ones might indeed, but the old sluggers drop like a rock past 100 yards.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I've been hunting a 40 acre tract here in SE Oklahoma for three years and it has been productive for me. One year I killed deer with my bow, muzzle loader, and rifle. I always kill at least two deer there. One day I could hear hunters talking on the leased property which surrounds my 40 acres and I thought there was no way I'd kill anything that day, but while I could still hear them talking, up walked a beautiful 8 point, which I proceeded to kill with my muzzle loader.

If your in a good area, 40 acres can be very productive. Others hunting around you may be a benefit, in that, they may move deer your way.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'm kind of leaning towards the bow but I still have to go see the property. I do know there are houses nearby but I'm just not sure how close. According to the land owner there is only one other person with permission to hunt this property. Unfortunately I don't know this other person so I'm not sure what impact they have on the deer. I also want to hunt squirrels and turkeys here too. Good idea or not? Maybe bowhunt them too?

Posts: 144 | Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote