New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Supreme?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was hunting with a long time friend yesterday, and he shot a small buck at a distance of about 325 yds. The bullet hit square on the left shoulder, after the shot the buck ran about 100 yds before piling up.
The entrance hole was the size of a quarter, obviously blowing up on impact. The deer was standing in a hay field at the time of the shot.
This was a .270 Winchester with 150gr. Ballistic Silvertip. I was not impressed to say the least. Has anyone had any experience with this ammo?, either good or bad. I'm thinking this ammo should be renamed.

Congrats to Jim White on his very nice Michigan 8 pt.this season
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting Winchester Supreme ammo for about 12 years. I have never shot the Ballistic Tips, only Failsafe, Partition Golds and now Accubonds CT. Never any problems, from shooting large WT/mulie bucks, moose, elk and bear in Alberta using my 300WM. I still like the Failsafes, eventhou some people had problems with their performance.

Try the Winchester Supreme Accubonds for the 270. My 270WSM loves them, and the performance on our game with this rifle caliber and bullet is AWESOME.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I used the 140 grain Win BST ammo in a .280 for several years before relegating the .280 to a backup gun with a new purchase. I was never able to recover a bullet from 25 yards to 150 yards. They worked very well.

A buddy was showing a recovered bullet from a 115 grain 25-06 BST (also Win factory load) just today. It was the first bullet he ever recovered, and from his descriptio is traversed a good 15 inches after punching through the shoulder blade...being found under the skin in front of the opposite side rear leg.

Yeah, they expand fast. That's what they are designed to do. Blow up? We need more details on what you call a 'blow up' as everyone seems to have a differnet opinion here. Bloodshot meat around the entry is the norm and to be expected. Where was the bullet found after hitting the shoulder as you described?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I appreciate the responses. I'm not sure where the bullet wound up, just surprised that it didn't pass through and the entrance hole was as big as it was. In my opinion this was pretty poor bullet performance.Another surprise was that the deer went about a hundred yds after being hit.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
That same ammo and rifle combo used to put that bullet BEHIND the shoulder may well have dropped it in it's tracks.
I think people read to much about shoulder shots and wind up missing the jointy area where it actually does work the way the story goes. Often times the deer, or whatever, that runs after the "shoulder shot" is because the bullet hits a bit low and misses everything that really works.

JMO but I suppose thats what we are all throwing around here. I don't aim for the shoulder at all unless it's behind the heart or in front of it. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm...let's see: 325 yard shot. Dead deer.

So remind me again: what was the problem???

I have long lost count of the critters that have succumbed to BTs. I don't push them too fast and I put them where they belong -- and they work EXTREMELY well.

Also, the quarter-sized entrance in not necessarily indicative of a bullet coming apart. Especially when you hit bone near the surface, the disrupted tissue and secondary fragments have no place to go; hence, you get a widened channel as they exit through the entrance (almost a ricochet of soft tissue, if you will).

Simply put, you failed to check terminal performance and want to judge a bullet by an entrance wound, saying it "Obviously blew up on impact." With no understanding of forensics and no check of the bullet's actual path, HOW CAN YOU DECIDE THAT??? Wrong, wrong, wrong...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I shot a deer years ago while I was in a tree stand using my 30-06. The deer was about 20ft away the shot was perfect, strait through the heart. The deer did not drop as I was told a heart shot deer would. The deer ran a good 200 yards, when I field dressed the deer I found that I had hit it in the middle of the heart and destroyed the upper part of the heart. The entrance hole was 30cal and the exit hole was about the size of a quarter. I was using a Hornady 150gr bullet the type with a knurl.

After finding out the heart shot was not reliable I switched to aiming center, center on the deer, meaning half way back and half way down. Figuring if I missed a little I would still drop the deer. Recently I found out if I hit the deer exactly there I would be missing the lungs and hitting the liver most of the time. I t was defiantly not a good place to aim for a humane kill.

Since I have went to aiming just behind the shoulder and about ¼ of the way down the deer after a friend told me about a bow hunting show he watched on cable. This is supposed to be a double lung shot. I looked up the deer anatomy on the internet to get a better idea what he was talking about.

BTW I used to shoot Nozler Balistic Tips but have switched to Barnes Tripple Shock after having the Balistic Tips blow chuncks out of the deer I shot. I do not want huge holes just a decent entrance and exit with plenty of blood flow in case I have to track a deer.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:

I have long lost count of the critters that have succumbed to BTs. I don't push them too fast and I put them where they belong -- and they work EXTREMELY well.

Also, the quarter-sized entrance in not necessarily indicative of a bullet coming apart. Especially when you hit bone near the surface, the disrupted tissue and secondary fragments have no place to go; hence, you get a widened channel as they exit through the entrance (almost a ricochet of soft tissue, if you will).

Simply put, you failed to check terminal performance and want to judge a bullet by an entrance wound, saying it "Obviously blew up on impact." With no understanding of forensics and no check of the bullet's actual path, HOW CAN YOU DECIDE THAT??? Wrong, wrong, wrong...

Bobby,
Yes, the deer died, but that's not the point. This was the first time in 50+ years of hunting that the entrance hole looked more like an exit hole and on a Great Dane sized deer, I would have expected the bullet to exit. And no I didn't do an autopsy on it, it was getting dark.
You have your opinion and I have mine and mine is that this was marginal performance.
Stepchild

Bobby,
Just one more thing on this subject and then i'm going to put it to rest.
Jim White, a member here hunted with me this season and harvested a nice 8 point. His shot was a little low, hitting the top of the left front leg square, and then slicing part of the heart, he was shooting my 22/250AI with a 55gr. Sierra. There was no gaping entrance wound, just a dead deer.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
That same ammo and rifle combo used to put that bullet BEHIND the shoulder may well have dropped it in it's tracks.
I think people read to much about shoulder shots and wind up missing the jointy area where it actually does work the way the story goes. Often times the deer, or whatever, that runs after the "shoulder shot" is because the bullet hits a bit low and misses everything that really works.

JMO but I suppose thats what we are all throwing around here. I don't aim for the shoulder at all unless it's behind the heart or in front of it. Nate

Big Nate,
I agree about the shoulder shots, I wasn't doing the shooting. I take a lung shot when ever
possible.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swede44mag:
I shot a deer years ago while I was in a tree stand using my 30-06. The deer was about 20ft away the shot was perfect, strait through the heart. The deer did not drop as I was told a heart shot deer would. The deer ran a good 200 yards, when I field dressed the deer I found that I had hit it in the middle of the heart and destroyed the upper part of the heart. The entrance hole was 30cal and the exit hole was about the size of a quarter. I was using a Hornady 150gr bullet the type with a knurl.

After finding out the heart shot was not reliable I switched to aiming center, center on the deer, meaning half way back and half way down. Figuring if I missed a little I would still drop the deer. Recently I found out if I hit the deer exactly there I would be missing the lungs and hitting the liver most of the time. I t was defiantly not a good place to aim for a humane kill.

Since I have went to aiming just behind the shoulder and about ¼ of the way down the deer after a friend told me about a bow hunting show he watched on cable. This is supposed to be a double lung shot. I looked up the deer anatomy on the internet to get a better idea what he was talking about.

BTW I used to shoot Nozler Balistic Tips but have switched to Barnes Tripple Shock after having the Balistic Tips blow chuncks out of the deer I shot. I do not want huge holes just a decent entrance and exit with plenty of blood flow in case I have to track a deer.

Swede44mag,
If I hadn't winessed the shot I would have sworn the entrance was instead the exit.
I have killed a lot of game over the years and winessed a bunch more killed by friends with a variety of calibers and bullet brands and, well you know....
I have been using a 22/250AI for the last several years with the very fine 55gr.flat base Sierra and haven't come up short yet, mostly lung shots and the deer drop right now and the lungs are liquid.
Stepchild

P.S The one bullet that was recovered during this years hunt started out 55gr. and weighed 32.7 under the far side hide.And all of the entrance holes were around .224". Truthfully most of them blow up the lungs and are in pieces, not bad for varmint bullets, ya think?

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Swede. It's not so much that the heart shot is not reliable, it is. However, consider this. The heart is the muscle that pumps blood to the animal's body supplying oxygen to the brain as well as the rest of the body. Now this is just my opinion, but after talking to a doctor that hunts, we pretty much agreed on this.
here is the deer walking along, minding it's own business, maybe thinking about the next hot doe he might run into and his heart is pumping blood as it is supposed to do. Here you are, and you shoot the deer in the heart. The deer runs off, in the case you posted, for about 200 yards. What went wrong? Absolutely nothing. I'd be willing to bet the the deer's heart had just pumped a supply of blood to the brain just before your bullet hit.Energized with a fresh supply of oxygen rich blood, the deer, although technically dead took off on the 200 yard run. Now, again this is all theoretical, if you had fired when the heart was full of blood and the brain was in need of fresh oxygen, that deer would probably have dropped like a sack of potatoes.
Me? My preference has always been to try for a lung area shot, but hell, I've had them take off and with that shot as well, although they don't usually go very far.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
I shoot winchester ballistic silver tips in in 150gr varity in my 7 mag and they work very well. I have killed 4 deer this year with these and the only one to take a step was a poorly placed shot by me. I hit low at 258 yards. I was thinking it was 190 yards. she ran about 30 yards before she piled up. but there was plenty of blood if I had needed to trail her. All shots have been complete pass thru. two shoulder shots one neck that went in out and into and out of the spine. she was coming right at me at 154 yards.

Married men live longer than single men do,

but married men are a lot more willing to die.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:

Swede. It's not so much that the heart shot is not reliable, it is. However, consider this. The heart is the muscle that pumps blood to the animal's body supplying oxygen to the brain as well as the rest of the body. Now this is just my opinion, but after talking to a doctor that hunts, we pretty much agreed on this.
here is the deer walking along, minding it's own business, maybe thinking about the next hot doe he might run into and his heart is pumping blood as it is supposed to do. Here you are, and you shoot the deer in the heart. The deer runs off, in the case you posted, for about 200 yards. What went wrong? Absolutely nothing. I'd be willing to bet the the deer's heart had just pumped a supply of blood to the brain just before your bullet hit.Energized with a fresh supply of oxygen rich blood, the deer, although technically dead took off on the 200 yard run. Now, again this is all theoretical, if you had fired when the heart was full of blood and the brain was in need of fresh oxygen, that deer would probably have dropped like a sack of potatoes.
Me? My preference has always been to try for a lung area shot, but hell, I've had them take off and with that shot as well, although they don't usually go very far.
Paul B.

Good point about the supply of fresh oxygen to the brain. It makes more sense than anything else I have heard or read.

I also get a kick out of the people I meet while hunting that tell me they can hit a deer in the heart on a dead run at 300 yards every time and they drop dead in there tracks. bull

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Cat Doctor:
I shoot winchester ballistic silver tips in in 150gr varity in my 7 mag and they work very well. I have killed 4 deer this year with these and the only one to take a step was a poorly placed shot by me. I hit low at 258 yards. I was thinking it was 190 yards. she ran about 30 yards before she piled up. but there was plenty of blood if I had needed to trail her. All shots have been complete pass thru. two shoulder shots one neck that went in out and into and out of the spine. she was coming right at me at 154 yards.

Cat Doctor,
I'm not here to knock Nosler or any other brand,I'm just reporting what happened. The other 19 may perform admirably, mean time i'm stickin' with Sierra.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No forensics professed here, But I did Stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night(grin).
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a whitetail deer three years ago at 339 yards with a 140gr nosler bt from a 7 mag with a muzzle vel. of 3100. The shot was broad side, just behind the shoulder, and about 1/3 of the way up. The deer ran about 150 yards. Upon examination, there was no exit hole and no bullet found. There was quite a bit of damage just behind the entrance wound. I figured the bullet totally came apart.

That was the first time I tried that load in the gun and used it because it was quite accurate, consistanly 2" or smaller at 300 yards. The load performed okay on deer but I quit using the NBT's in the gun because I also use it for elk hunting. I didn't think the bullet would kill the larger animals, especially if I came accross one at 25 yards. Since then I have developed a load with 154gr. Hornady IB's.

I guess what I am trying to say is that for light game at long ranges the NBT's are great but for heavier game at closer ranges with high velocity guns a "tougher" bullet would be better.

Posts: 28 | Location: Kamiah, ID | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
quote:

Paul B.

Paul B,
When the lungs go from solid to liquid, nothing else matters. If they can't breathe, they are dead!!!Ackley's Rule!!!!!! Roy Who?
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7magman:
I shot a whitetail deer three years ago at 339 yards with a 140gr nosler bt from a 7 mag with a muzzle vel. of 3100. The shot was broad side, just behind the shoulder, and about 1/3 of the way up. The deer ran about 150 yards. Upon examination, there was no exit hole and no bullet found. There was quite a bit of damage just behind the entrance wound. I figured the bullet totally came apart.

That was the first time I tried that load in the gun and used it because it was quite accurate, consistanly 2" or smaller at 300 yards. The load performed okay on deer but I quit using the NBT's in the gun because I also use it for elk hunting. I didn't think the bullet would kill the larger animals, especially if I came accross one at 25 yards. Since then I have developed a load with 154gr. Hornady IB's.

I guess what I am trying to say is that for light game at long ranges the NBT's are great but for heavier game at closer ranges with high velocity guns a "tougher" bullet would be better.

7magman,
That was a good move, now step up to Sierra. When I first started reloading(1960) my Gunsmith told me for hunting use Hornady and for target use Sierra, well it didn't take me long to figure out that Sierra's did an excellent job, target or game!!! Ask Steve Ricciardelli what he prefers, and this old boy has been around the block!
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my moose this year with my .300 win mag at about 20 yards using 180 grain balistic silvertips at a claimed muzzle velocity of I believe 2970. The moose shuddered at the shot took one step and fell never to move again. I shot it low behind the shoulder the bullet smashed the heart, then went through the leg bone on the other side and rested on the skin on the far side. I recovered the bullet, I have not weighed it but I expect it to be 100 grains or more retained. In my opinion thats not to bad for a cheap rapid expansion bullet.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw the deer, there was a chunk about 4" long hanging out of the entrance wound, the heart did have dammage (approx a 1" diameter hole part way through) lungs were NOT souped and there was no exit hole on the off side.
As I use a 150gr NBT in my -06, and have shot deer over the same field, I won't bash the bullet, but I was also supprised with the lack of penatration. That shot should have gone through both shoulders and souped the lungs.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
stepchild2: Yes, you have your opinion -- but that's all you have as you have no clue as to what the bullet did internally. You call its performance "marginal" after looking at the entrance. The shot was taken at 325 yards with factory ammo and the deer traveled 100 yards before expiring, so I'd have to say you got darn good performance...

You say I have my "opinion." Actually, what I have is fact. I've based my knowledge on years of actual field experience and countless autopsies. I have a pretty decent grasp of forensics and ballistics and simply have grown tired of baseless blanket statements regarding bullet performance by folks who didn't even see the wound channel in question and yet are determined that the bullet failed or somehow was marginal in performance. And those generally are the most vocal in their bashing of the bullet in question.

I apologize if I have offended you. But such unqualified bullet bashing ranks right up there with stories of how someone's super bullet slammed a deer to the ground or threw it over the cactus. Those tales are hogwash as well. And for those who think I am wrong, try this simple experiment. Take a 100 pound sack of corn or sand. Put it on a table in an area that has a safe backstop. Back up 100 yards, take your favorite rifle and centerpunch the sack. Does it fly off of the table? Was it slammed to the ground??? More than likely, you couldn't even see it move when the bullet impacted it.

An animal can have a dramatic physical reaction to a bullet's impact, particularly when the CNS takes a direct hit, but a bullet can't fling a deer across the county as some would have you believe.

But I am stepping off my soapbox for now...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
You speak as though you have actually done autopsies or witnessed them being done. What is your background? Are you or were you a coroner or something in that field in another life?
I was more than a little surprised when Stepchild told me of the "Supremes" performance. I know several people here that use them almost exclusively and have never heard a bad word said about them. Quite the contrary in fact.
Speaking of opinions, I got one too. It don't get any better than a 22/250 AI spitting 55 gr. Sierra spitzers at Whitetails at 3900 fps. They kill like lightning and meat loss is at a minimum. clap
Got any more barrels for sale? That Douglas 22 I bought from from you is soon to become a 22 K-Hornet as soon as I get off my ass and chamber it. Roll Eyes

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jim-Let's just say I have more than a passing interest in forensics and terminal ballistics. As such, I want to know what every bullet did on every head of game I shoot. Therefore, to me, bullet selection becomes more of a science than anything.

Hey, I love the 22-250 and the IMP version as well. My first-ever whitetail fell to a 55 grain Sierra BTHP GK launched from a stock Rem 788 in 22-250. It was the first of several taken with that bullet, and the 22-250 never let me down.

Keep me posted on that barrel project. I actually may have a few more to move out later down the road, but I'm not sure what remains.

And congrats on the 8-pointer. Rumor has it you took a mighty nice buck...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
I took that 8 pointer only because of Stepchilds guide services. I have been a client of his on several hunts and all have been memorable experiences. I especially like his choice of rifles and calibers, however there was large barn cat prowling the area after the gut piles started to stack up and I personally would have been more comfortable with something more appropiate on hand like a 416 or at least a 375 but the 22/250 AI worked like a charm on the deer. Wink Let me know about the barrels. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
stepchild2: Yes, you have your opinion -- but that's all you have as you have no clue as to what the bullet did internally. You call its performance "marginal" after looking at the entrance. The shot was taken at 325 yards with factory ammo and the deer traveled 100 yards before expiring, so I'd have to say you got darn good performance.

You say I have my "opinion." Actually, what I have is fact. I've based my knowledge on years of actual field experience and countless autopsies. I have a pretty decent grasp of forensics and ballistics and simply have grown tired of baseless blanket statements regarding bullet performance by folks who didn't even see the wound channel in question and yet are determined that the bullet failed or somehow was marginal in performance. And those generally are the most vocal in their bashing of the bullet in question.

I apologize if I have offended you. But such unqualified bullet bashing ranks right up there with stories of how someone's super bullet slammed a deer to the ground or threw it over the cactus. Those tales are hogwash as well. And for those who think I am wrong, try this simple experiment. Take a 100 pound sack of corn or sand. Put it on a table in an area that has a safe backstop. Back up 100 yards, take your favorite rifle and centerpunch the sack. Does it fly off of the table? Was it slammed to the ground??? More than likely, you couldn't even see it move when the bullet impacted it.

An animal can have a dramatic physical reaction to a bullet's impact, particularly when the CNS takes a direct hit, but a bullet can't fling a deer across the county as some would have you believe.

Bobby,
Not to question your expertise, but when a .270 caliber bullet blows a 4" chunk of meat out of the entrance hole(it was hanging there) in my opinion it has failed, regardless of whether the deer died or not. The bullet barely made it to the heart.
And as far as you offending me, that didn't happen. I was there and witnessed the dismal performance!This ammo cost the owner $27 and change and as far as i'm concerned it failed miserably.
And what does a bag of corn or sand have to do with it?
Your responding to this as though your last name is Nosler, maybe this was one that should have been in a seconds bag?, ya think? As previously stated I have been hunting for a lot of years in Wyoming, Colorado, as well as Michigan and have never seen such miserable performance as this regardless of caliber or bullet weight. Like I said in an earlier post, i'm not bashing Nosler, just reporting what happened. I didn't feel an autopsy was in order when a chunk of meat the size of a dogs dick was hanging out of the entrance hole. I've had better performance out of a .222!

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim White:
Bobby,
I took that 8 pointer only because of Stepchilds guide services. I have been a client of his on several hunts and all have been memorable experiences. I especially like his choice of rifles and calibers, however there was a large barn cat prowling the area after the gut piles started to stack up and I personally would have been more comfortable with something more appropiate on hand like a 416 or at least a 375 but the 22/250 AI worked like a charm on the deer. Wink Let me know about the barrels. Jim

Jim
All you had to do was ask, in fact it wouldn't have been that far out of my way to deliver one, or 2, to you Big Grin You can never be overgunned when dealing with rampaging porch panthers and lawn lions.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
I'm thinking that Jim was poking a little fun at you, but you knew that already. It wouldn't have been a problem since we were all hunting on the same farm.
He seemed to be perfectly happy shooting my 22/250 Ackley Very Much Improved.
2 shots/2 Deer, what more could a person ask for?And neither one had any dog dicks hanging on the entrance hole!
Stepchild

And Jim not to split hairs but that was 3,998

NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
stepchild2-This is the first time you make mention of 4" of meat hanging out of the entrance. In the next post, you also say you have no idea where the bullet wound up. And again in the original posting, you note that a quarter-sized entrance indicates a bullet had "obviously blown up."

Now, it seems you know that it "barely" made it to or through the heart.

Not that it matters anymore, but why didn't you include that information in your original post???

Also, I NEVER said my alluding to the 100 pound sack of corn had anything to do with YOUR situation. I simply made a comparison and said blanket statements such as yours in the original post are akin to a shooter making a post and saying his super-duper whizbang bullet knocked a deer off its feet and through the adjacent county.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
Let me put it this way, Give it a break. The bullet performed poorly, everyone there agreed.Regardless of who made the bullet it performed like shit in this particular instance.
The next 5,000 may not, but just in case, i'm shooting Sierra's in everything I own with the exception of my .17 Remington and that's only because Sierra doesn't make them.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
stepchild2-This is the first time you make mention of 4" of meat hanging out of the entrance. In the next post, you also say you have no idea where the bullet wound up. And again in the original posting, you note that a quarter-sized entrance indicates a bullet had "obviously blown up."

Bobby,
The only way I knew about the heart was by looking at the gut pile. Your turn!
Stepchild

Not that it matters anymore, but why didn't you include that information in your original post???

Also, I NEVER said my alluding to the 100 pound sack of corn had anything to do with YOUR situation. I simply made a comparison and said blanket statements such as yours in the original post are akin to a shooter making a post and saying his super-duper whizbang bullet knocked a deer off its feet and through the adjacent county.

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
quote:
stepchild2-This is the first time you make mention of 4" of meat hanging out of the entrance. In the next post, you also say you have no idea where the bullet wound up. And again in the original posting, you note that a quarter-sized entrance indicates a bullet had "obviously blown up

Bobby,
The only way I knew anything about the heart was by looking at the gut pile. Your turn.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
No, I will pass at my "turn." I've wasted enough time here and haven't made a dent. Your story has changed throughout. My viewpoint hasn't.

Re-read your ORIGINAL information below.

"The bullet hit square on the left shoulder, after the shot the buck ran about 100 yds before piling up.
The entrance hole was the size of a quarter, obviously blowing up on impact. The deer was standing in a hay field at the time of the shot.
This was a .270 Winchester with 150gr. Ballistic Silvertip. I was not impressed to say the least. Has anyone had any experience with this ammo?, either good or bad. I'm thinking this ammo should be renamed...

...I'm not sure where the bullet wound up...

..."I didn't do an autopsy on it, it was getting dark..."

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:

How about try hitting it high in the shoulder. Most of the time drops them right there or they may take a few steps.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:

You should know where the heart and lungs are before you go hunting not afterward.

Heartshot not reliable. You obvioulsy havent shot many deer.. You destroy the heart or lungs it's not going to go far period.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
stepchild2: Yes, you have your opinion -- but that's all you have as you have no clue as to what the bullet did internally. You call its performance "marginal" after looking at the entrance. The shot was taken at 325 yards with factory ammo and the deer traveled 100 yards before expiring, so I'd have to say you got darn good performance...

Come on now this 100 pound sack of corn or sand is the most ridicilious experiment I have heard of in a while. Especially comparing to a live deer for Christ sakes.
Take your 100 pound bag of sand and shove it as hard as you can and see what the bag does, then walk up to a 100 lb tall long legged dog like a great dane or something tall and lanky that even halfway resembles a deer, when it is relaxed and shove it as hard as you can. I'm sure you will see a big difference in how both objects react and both of them weighing 100 lbs.

Other than that I agree with you on most of what you have posted here.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
Gentlemen,
I appreciate the responses. I'm not sure where the bullet wound up, just surprised that it didn't pass through and the entrance hole was as big as it was. In my opinion this was pretty poor bullet performance.Another surprise was that the deer went about a hundred yds after being hit.
Stepchild

If you dont know where the bullet wound up, you probably didnt see the wound channel either. why post a ridicilious post like this saying the bullet failed. At least see the wound channel first
What's the big deal about the deer running 100 yards. I prefer them to drop right there to but I dont get tore up if it only runs 100 yards. It was dead wasn't it. Was it hard to find, if not then what is the big deal Not every single one drops in their tracks.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Yep...Ballistic tip threads seem to be second only to Matchking threads at getting people riled up!

I've seen a few dozen deer killed (okay, more than a few dozen) and seen all sorts of patterns of running after the hit. Basing an opinion on one event is unwise. IMO, of course.

Also, IMO, from the description, it sounds like the bullet did exactly what it was intended to do...destroy a lot of tissue in the first 6-12" of penetration. For reference, I 'missed' a shot on a cull doe a few years back. Instead of hitting her as she was walking toward me, she turned to start browsing as I pulled the trigger and the bullet hit just behind the shoulder at a high angle. 3 ribs wide by 4" high was the entry wound. The bullet came to rest in the opposite side ham after breaking the thigh bone. She ran 40 yards anyways... Another similar occurance the previous year on an offhand shot dropped a similar sized deer in its tracks, with the bullet found under the skin in front of the ham. Those are the only 2 BT's I've ever managed to recover from whitetail deer.

If I had used that one entry wound alone to judge the bullet I would have been doing it a great disservice. The bullet, a 165 grain NBT at around 3000 fps muzzle velocity.

As always, YMMV!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
quote:

How about try hitting it high in the shoulder. Most of the time drops them right there or they may take a few steps.

Thanks for quoting me.
The shoulder iswhere it was hit. Now if you had read why I said what I said you'd understand that I don't think many people execute the shoulder shot with enough consistancy. If done perfectly it is very effective. I don't think deer need a tough bullet to work its magic. People don't hit animals where the vitals are and then blame the bullet. I hear people say things like "it ran off after I shot it through both shoulders!" and I know they missed the bones. The shoulderblade on a deer isn't a big target, and if they are unfamiliar with the anatomy the shot generally is to far down and slighty behind the bone. This may catch the aorta or front lobe of the lung(s) but it can also pass through missing the important stuff. My point was that shooting the deer behind the shoulder would have been better. I've never seen an animal shot through the lungs go unrecovered or very far. I have seen animals with broken bones go an awfully long way.

If you recommend shooting shoulders that's your opinion and choice. Much the same choice, and opinion, this hunter of subject matter must also have as that is his "typical choice" of shot placement. You are recommending the exact shot this guy took. If this shot were executed perfectly, this thread would have been more of a congratulatory rant.

I won't ever believe I have seen it all, but my opinions are based on my experiences in the field, and not based on how many people agree on something. This is clearly demonstrated by my lack of favor for the .270 Win as an Elk rifle. I've seen less than impressive reults more often with the .270 than most others. That isn't saying an elk can't be taken with it at all. What it means is that the .270 is on the small side for Elk and because of this, the shots need to be spot on. Sierra GameKings are also flamed constantly by the Nosler Partition crowd. They are actually very effective on game if they are placed into the vitals. I've not yet recovered one, as I have always had pass-throughs and I aim for the top of the heart. I suppose if I were to use the same rifle for everything, with the same load, I'd catch one eventually and someone would claim that was a bullet failure.

In this case, the .270 with the BT is a fine deer rifle. I think the shot placement was probably the culprit above all else! The shot taken( and made) was for the shoulders, and the result was less than hoped for. The heart/lung shot would have been a larger target by far and if the bullet landed a bit to one side or the other it would have still been leathal.

To me the bottom line is everyone needs to be able to hit where they want in the field. A well placed bullet that expands will result in rapid death. In this case the animal died a slower death than expected. Without any of us getting to see the guts and the carcass were just guessing.

I actually use much smaller caliber rifles for deer than many others do, most of the time. But shot placement is everything! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jarrod-You ALMOST got it regarding the experiment -- so close....

You say "reaction." Now continue and think that all the way through.

A deer can have a dramatic REACTION to a bullet's impact. That's what I was conveying. A bullet CANNOT slam a deer down. Unless the scenario is such in which the game is truly outmatched by the projectile (a 130 grain Speer HP from a .300 WM vs. a Columbia ground squirrel, for example), it just aint so...

I recently had a coyote do a cartwheel after it was greeted by a .22 cal, 75 grain A-Max. But the bullet did not make the coyote cartwheel. It went head over heels due to a physical reaction to the bullet's impact and its forward momentum on uneven ground.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
quote:

Thanks for quoting me.
The shoulder iswhere it was hit. Now if you had read why I said what I said you'd understand that I don't think many people execute the shoulder shot with enough consistancy. If done perfectly it is very effective. I don't think deer need a tough bullet to work its magic. People don't hit animals where the vitals are and then blame the bullet. I hear people say things like "it ran off after I shot it through both shoulders!" and I know they missed the bones. The shoulderblade on a deer isn't a big target, and if they are unfamiliar with the anatomy the shot generally is to far down and slighty behind the bone. This may catch the aorta or front lobe of the lung(s) but it can also pass through missing the important stuff. My point was that shooting the deer behind the shoulder would have been better. I've never seen an animal shot through the lungs go unrecovered or very far. I have seen animals with broken bones go an awfully long way.

If you recommend shooting shoulders that's your opinion and choice. Much the same choice, and opinion, this hunter of subject matter must also have as that is his "typical choice" of shot placement. You are recommending the exact shot this guy took. If this shot were executed perfectly, this thread would have been more of a congratulatory rant.

I won't ever believe I have seen it all, but my opinions are based on my experiences in the field, and not based on how many people agree on something. This is clearly demonstrated by my lack of favor for the .270 Win as an Elk rifle. I've seen less than impressive reults more often with the .270 than most others. That isn't saying an elk can't be taken with it at all. What it means is that the .270 is on the small side for Elk and because of this, the shots need to be spot on. Sierra GameKings are also flamed constantly by the Nosler Partition crowd. They are actually very effective on game if they are placed into the vitals. I've not yet recovered one, as I have always had pass-throughs and I aim for the top of the heart. I suppose if I were to use the same rifle for everything, with the same load, I'd catch one eventually and someone would claim that was a bullet failure.

In this case, the .270 with the BT is a fine deer rifle. I think the shot placement was probably the culprit above all else! The shot taken( and made) was for the shoulders, and the result was less than hoped for. The heart/lung shot would have been a larger target by far and if the bullet landed a bit to one side or the other it would have still been leathal.

To me the bottom line is everyone needs to be able to hit where they want in the field. A well placed bullet that expands will result in rapid death. In this case the animal died a slower death than expected. Without any of us getting to see the guts and the carcass were just guessing.

I actually use much smaller caliber rifles for deer than many others do, most of the time. But shot placement is everything! Nate

Yes I agree with you the shoulder shot to work like it is suppost to has to be placed with precision. I also agree the heart/lung shot is a lot bigger target, therefore it gives you a greater margin for error. It also ruins less meat too.

I pretty much agree with everything you said as a matter of fact. All except for the 270 and that is because I havent seen it used enough to have an opinion on it one way or another except from what people have told me about it.