New
Find
Notify
Tools

Afghanistan Hunters?
 Login/Join

<Russ D>
posted
I was wondering if any of our group have ever hunted in Afghanistan and if so would they care to tell us of their experiences? I look forward to hearing some first hand accounts. Thanks,Russ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Post this again in 6 months on the Navy SEALS and Delta Force websites.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Right now, with the famine going on, there are about 6,000,000 active Afghani hunters. Don't suppose there will be much left to hunt for a long time. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know him, but Clayton Williams, an oilman, and an ex-gubernatorial candidate from Texas and his wife were hunting sheep, I believe, right on the Afghanistan border in the mountains when the WTC occured, took his friends several days of cell phoning to locate him and tell him to unass the area. By that time he was out. He said in the newspaper article that his wife missed and he did not get a shot at whatever species he was trying for. So apparently there is game in the mountains, key is that, like mountains anywhere getting there is so much trouble that the game is not worth the effort, from a subsistence point of view. Unless your game is Osama. Now that is real hunting, the animals shoot back.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Clayton and his wife were probably hunting in Tajikastan. The Marco Polo hunting in this area is quite good, at least it is about 50 miles or so from the Afganistan border.

[This message has been edited by Buffalobwana (edited 10-09-2001).]

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know Clayty W., did they get back safly, I suppose they did...I used to live in Ft. Stockton and ranched in that area, as did Clayty. They used to toss a great yearly Bar-B-Que at the Brangus Sale and his foreman was my sons best friend, so we got an invite..He also hunted with one of my Aussie PH's....

I have talked to a lot of folks that have hunted in Afganistan and been offered many opertunities to book hunts in that area, but never have taken anyone up on it.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
On the Friday after the Sept 11th attack, I talked to a fellow at SCI headquarters who had been in contact with a booking agent who operates in that region.

He reported having 20 cancellations over the 3-day period.

Posts: 1548 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
<csj>
posted
I have to say I do not know but my cousin was deployed a few weeks back destination unknown. Being in the ARMY Rangers I guess it goes with program but I will still not stop thinking about him. Trint God speed and I can not wait to see you soon and I know you will do our country proud!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
csj, i know how you feel. a buddy of mine is in the navy, USS KITTY HAWK to be exact. all the same good luck to your cousin.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote