Find
Notify
Tools

Cougars in the news
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I saw the stories about the man killed in Northern California by a cougar, but this account of an attack on a group of cyclists in Washington was pretty incredible as well.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/26...mountain-lion-attack

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea...ifornia-19365657.php

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read about both attacks.

Both would have ended very quickly if the people involved would have been armed.

Even with only a decent 22.

These people paid dearly for not being armed.

Even a decent sized knife would have helped.

But society and laws in these areas made it unlawful or politically incorrect to be armed.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The citizens of CA and WA made the choice to increase the odds that this will happen in exchange for more mountain lions. This is the price due for that decision. Fewer people helps global warming, right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Live and die by your vote.....literally, in CA and other liberal strongholds. You could be attacked by a maniac with a machete in NYC.....defend your life with an unregistered firearm and you're the one going to jail. Common sense and civility have left the building.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
I always thought when someone says “ Unreasonable defense “ is rather loaded word
I’d say Arm yourself when in nature against man and beast

Posts: 124 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
In Washington just hunt them. Long season, September to the end of March and tags are cheap.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2794 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
The California attack happened about 30-40 miles from my house and very near where I hunt deer & turkeys. We have lots of lions here, my son and I have seen several. My concern is my daughter trail runs in the same general area where this attack occurred as well as another about 30 years ago. I do worry about her trail running alone, but more for 2-legged predators.

Posts: 3852 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My concern is my daughter trail runs in the same general area where this attack occurred as well as another about 30 years ago. I do worry about her trail running alone, but more for 2-legged predators.

Have you seen that she carries some type of arm.

Have you trained her to defend herself with it.

Have you talked to her about situational awareness.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you stop hunting animals they loose their fear of man, simple. No fear makes people food, still simple!

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i WAS RAISSED ON A BIG RANCH ON THE Texas Mexico BORDER AND WE KILLED MANY lions. My uncle jack WAS A WELL KNOWN LION TRAPPER AND HUNTER. I TAKE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT WHEN I HEAR OF A HUMAN BITTEN OR KILLED UNLESS IT WAS RABID..tHE lion IS A MILD AND TIMID CEATURE, I've KILLED MORE THAN A FIEW IN TRAPS WITH A HAMMER OR CROWBAR AS DID MY DAD, AND I WOULD NOT GET WITHIN 25 FT OF A TRAPPED 30 LB. bOBCAT/LYNX.

IN A LOCATION WHERE lION POPULATION IS THE HIGHEST, tEXAS IN THE BORDER AREA, THERE IS NO RECRD OF LION HUMAN ATTACKS NO COWBOYS, RANCHERS, ROAD CREWS, FENCE BUILDER. HUNTERS, OR CROSSING ALENS OR TOURIST CERTIFIED ATTACKS AND NO BODDIES THATS BEEN ET!.... old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well in areas they are hunted they are a lot more respectful of humans.

In areas that they are given protection.

Some of them see us as just another form of meat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A common thread in cougar "attacks", around here at least, is the presence of a small dog, snack food for the cat. The owner intervenes and things go downhill from there.

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
All the cougars will move to Ca and OR because there will be free food for them

Posts: 124 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
With all the liberal vegetarians in Portland, cougars may begin to aassociate them with the taste of grass-fed meat.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Mt Lions out there must know the difference between cowboys and liberals in yoga tights.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess they lose their fear of man under some circumstnces, I know bears do..and it seems they prefer tender liberals! well hell I can live with that! sofa

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard the similar stories about Javalina attacking humans, and that's hogwash, their half blind and will run into you on rare occasion. DAd laughed and said they make folks hurt themselves.

I had a dozen piglets for pets in my youth, My dogs kept eating them. The babies love bananas and oatmeal..

Folks claim they get to 50 lbs but I weighed many of them for our hunters and 26 lbs was the largest I weighed gutted. Folks tend to claim 300 plus Mule Deer. 10 ft Mt Lions, 100 lb bobcat's and on and on.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I believe it was 1960 I remember seeing a dressed mule deer on a scale in Bishop California at 298 lbs.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'm so dissappointed. I thought this thread was about Courtney Cox or Demi Moore ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote