New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painted 30-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wanted to share with everyone my first paint job. I wanted to dress-up the boring black tupperware stock. It holds up real well with the clear-coat I applied. Its a GREAT way to dress-up an old worn dinged-up stock instead of purchasing a brand-name high-end aftermarket stock for a fraction of the cost. dancing
I'm going to do several more next week using different colors and techniques. Friends & family are lining up too fast.....

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late
Bloomer

Very nicely done, looks great, what is you're address and I'll send you my stock dancing

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks great! clap

Looks similar to the Bell&Carlson stocks Cabelas used to sell. I had a couple over the years and got attached to the colors.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
Just wanted to share with everyone my first paint job. I wanted to dress-up the boring black tupperware stock. It holds up real well with the clear-coat I applied. Its a GREAT way to dress-up an old worn dinged-up stock instead of purchasing a brand-name high-end aftermarket stock for a fraction of the cost. dancing
I'm going to do several more next week using different colors and techniques. Friends & family are lining up too fast.....

Well I will have to say it looks a lot better than black. I would be kind of interested in doing that to my 7 mag as I hate the black stock. What kind of paint did you use and where can I buy it?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jarrod,

I've tried all types of spray paints with varying success, it depends on what I am trying to achieve in each phase of the process. Some paints are more suitable for certain applications and techniques. The applicator needs to be in perfect control of his methods and objectives.

Depending on what I'm trying to achieve thruout the 5-step process, I might use a variety of Rustoleum Paints and Krylon Paints and Dupli-Color Paints to create texture, depth, and color hardness.

Sand your stock very well to promote excellent adhesion properties. Then, tape-off the barrel channel and action inlet with blue tape carefully. We really don't want anything getting in there. Then, degrease the stock thoroughly with a good brand-name de-greaser, then wipe down the entire stock with alcohol. Use disposable rubber gloves throughout your prepping as you do not want to contaminate the stock even with the oils from your hands.

Depending on the type of stock you are working with i.e., wood or synthetic you might want to consider using a primer or not. You need to do several tests to determine what you are using will be the BEST for your method of application and technique.

Sometimes people use a matte clear-coat to provide better abrasion-resistance and chemical-resistance. I've tried several brands with very promising results. I find certain clear-coats work favorably with only certain BRAND paint combinations, but try several to see which one works best for your methods and techniques.

Most of all Jarrod, HAVE FUN in all of this...
I did...
And still do...
I'm constantly experimenting with new techniques and new methods of application.

You need to develop a VISION...

A GOAL & Objective...

Once you got that, you got it whipped...

Its just a matter of time after that...

Don't be afraid to buy dozens of paints in various colors and different brands...

Get blocks of wood like I did, i.e., 1x4's cut two feet long...

And PRACTICE...

ALOT...

Let your CREATIVE JUICES flow...

I can't stop my FOUNTAIN...

I'm ADDICTED to this stuff...

I got over 35 design combinations & techniques running in my head...

And I'm only getting started...

I've been experimenting with this for about three months now...

And the longer I do it, the more I realize there's alot more variables I haven't even started to embark on...

There's alot of information out there on the internet...

RESEARCH...

Determine how far you want to go with it...

As for ME, I'm going all the WAY...

I use a combination of several techniques and methods I learned, as well as what others have shared upon on the web.

There's a difference between spraying a can of paint on a stock vs. applying paint using a particular method & technique, to achieve a desired pattern, color, and dimension.

Just determine what your goals are and go from there.

Its exciting, fascinating, and a whole lotta Fun.

Good Luck in this interesting facet of the hobby!

Sorry, for the lengthy post but I wanted to share with you so you can be off to a GREAT START.

Many have been so kind to share their experiences with me and I just wanted to afford you some of the insight that has benefitted me these past several months.

Most of all have FUN with what you're doing, I know I do...

In time you will develop a method to all the madness...

Let the GOOD TIMES flow...

You'll be AMAZED at what may unfurl...

That's my STYLE anyways...

Thanks my friend! Smiler

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote