THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Stainless 7 mag - Savage, Tikka or Remington

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless 7 mag - Savage, Tikka or Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I plan to get a new SS/plastic stock rifle, probably in 7mm rem mag, to hunt caribou and moose with (This is not a 7mm thread!). I lean towards functional rifles - not cheapos but value is important. So far, I am considering Savage, Tikka T-3 lite SS, or Remington, (All my hunting rifles so far have been Remingtons.) I like what I hear about Tikkas, and the one I looked at seemed to function well, and had a good trigger. At 6 lbs maybe too light though for a 7mm. From what I hear, Savage seems to be accurate, well made and functions well. Any suggestions?

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Savage does make an accurate rifle, I do not know much about the Tikka. I have a Remington 7mag and love it. I understand the Tikka comes with a nice barrel.

Savage would be my last choice of the 3.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot all 3 and would for sure pick the tikka.Better: stock, trigger, action, lower bolt lift, feeds like a dream and shoots great.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 for the Tikka. Limbsaver recoil pad is worth it on a 6lb. rifle. Barrel and trigger are first rate on these rifles.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Another for the T3 Lite, I have all 3 and it is my favorite, smooth as butter, accurate as all hell. I put a Kick-Ezz pad on my 300win.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
My first choice is theTikka T3 but I prefer the LS model over the SS. I dont care for the hollow sounding stock of the SS. I hav2 two 270WSM's, and a buddy has a 300WSM in the LS model plus a 22-250 in the Varmint Stainless and a 223 in the Tactical. All are great shooters.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Savage. The Tikka is a fine rifle but I just have never been a big fan of clip feed rifles. Tikkas are one of the smoothest actions out there at a reasonable price. The Savage provides accuracy, affordability, and lots of add ons. I also think your choice of the 7 Mag is excellent.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I can't say enough for the Remington.

If you want a accurate and dependable stainless 7RM, you can't go wrong with a Model 700.

I do custom loading for quite a few folks and I work with rifles of all different makes. I can honestly say that hands down the most accurate factory rifles I've worked with have been 700s. (Knock on Wood), I've never done load work for one that would not shoot sub moa with handloads.

All you'll need is a good set of scope mounts and an adjustment to the trigger(if it's not to your liking stock) and you'll be set.

I rescently had a guy bring me a stainless BDL. He bought it used from a shop and said it was terribly inaccurate, he said it shot 3"+ groups with factory Federal Premium 140 Partitions and 1.5-2" with 154 Hdy Ils. I dissassembled the rifle, thourghly cleaned it, checked out the trigger setting, and measured the lands with a few pills. I loaded 3 different types of loads and carried it to the range. All three shot sub MOA. I wrote a report of my findings, attached the targets and mailed them to him. I'm just waiting on him to choose which combo he wants to go with and he'll probably order a couple hundred loads. I thought I may have had a stubborn one on my hands but, it turned out to be just another typically accurate 700 Big Grin

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help (for a while there I was starting to wonder if this was rigged for Tikkas). I like wood over plastic, but for this one I want an Alaska rifle - something that can take 5 days of rain without concern over wood or rust.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
but for this one I want an Alaska rifle - something that can take 5 days of rain without concern over wood or rust.

The XCR was made for you.

I know a guy that bought one a few months ago in 300 WM and he's been getting sub moa groups with factory fodder. They aren't cheap but, they are pretty nice rifles. The BDL is nice as well. I don't have experience with any of the new SPSs.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Corax,

Here's the XCR for a good price:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=73343191

They go for close to a grand locally.

Here's the stainless SPS:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=73627156

Here's the Savage:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=73627740

Here's the Tikka:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=73074039

The XCR is alittle more pricey than the others but, as they say, "You Get what you pay for."

Good Luck

Reloader

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corax

I've owned or still own several Model 700 from 22-250 three 7 mm Mags and now a 300 ultra mag and have never had one problem. And the accuracy is outstanding.
Good-Luck

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I have no experiance with the Tikka but the remington I currently have is a tackdriver. The savage I did have was a good rifle as well.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corax:
... (All my hunting rifles so far have been Remingtons.) ...
Obviously we are blessed with many fine rifles to choose from today. That said, since they are "Man Made", occasionally one from any manufacturer can be a bit aggravating.

That said, I really do like those Made-in-the-USA Remingtons. I have one of the very first Stainless & Synthetic 7mmRemMags they made in the ADL model. It has a rather tight Bore, so it is not a Velocity champion with my Reloads. Someone using factory ammo would in fact get a higher Velocity than a rifle with a slightly looser Bore though.

Amazingly accurate, rugged and it has that excellent Remington Trigger.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Tikka T-3 lite Stainless .270 WSM that is so accurate!!! It is almost BORING because of its accuracy.
I know, plastic stuff all around, but, DOES it SHOOT!!! Factory Fed. 140 accubonds do less than 3/8th's for FIVE shots!!!

I have MANY, MANY rifles. Custom, factory and the like. I WILL say this: This Tikka is The MOST accurate rifle I've ever owned!!
I am so impressed with its function and accuracy!
NEVER had a Savage. Several Remingtons (700's).
I HATE Remingtons!! The ejector sucks in the 11th degree!!!
Try a Tikka, you'll be pleased!!!

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Remington first then tikka. The xcr would be a good choice. I believe the finish on the xcr would be a lot better for alaska.

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I have been a Remington fan for a long time. I have two of their mountain rifles, 30-06 & 7mm-08 and one Safari Grade in 375 H&H, with H&S Precision stock.

The '06 and 375 get a lot of use. Those are two great guns. Accurate as can be. I have no complaints.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt, especially after having extensive experience with all 3.

The Tikka T3 hands-down! beer

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you take into consideration, the build quality, accuracy, and value for money, the Tikka wins easily. I have owned 3 Tikka rifles, all have been very accurate, reasonably priced and a joy to shoot.

the nut behind the butt

Posts: 135 | Location: Somerset | Registered: 15 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corax,

I used a Tikka T-3 Stainless in 7MM Mag on my Tahr hunt in May. I was impressed with the feel and the accuracy of this gun. I would like to have one in the 7MM WSM cal.

Hawkeye47

one of us
posted Hide Post
All three would likely be plenty accurate out of the box, although my money would be on the Remington as the most accurate.

That being said, I would go with the Tikka if for no other reason than to at least try something different. The Savage would likely serve you well but is one asteticly challenged hunting partener in my opinion Smiler

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Savage would likely serve you well but is one asteticly challenged hunting partener in my opinion

I heard that.

They will definitely get the job done but, they are not going to win the local beauty contest for sure.

I've owned a few Savages and still hunt with a couple every year. A good accurate rifle to drag through the elements and not get too worried about. I will say that even though pretty dependable, the only bolt actions I've ever had misfire were Savages and no, they were not dirty.

Reloader

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to avoid making this a Remingron Vs Savage Vs Tikka discussion and say one thing on point that everyone seems to have missed...

If ALL your previous hunting rifles have been Remingtons then why consider getting anything else?

I think it's important to be familiar with your hunting rifle
and if you are already used to remingtons...

If all your other hunting rifles were savages or Tikka's I'd
say to keep them all the same.

People here DO like to knock on Remington rifles, but I consider remington's to be in the same class in rifles
as SnapOn tools are in hand tools
Or Milwaukee tools are in power tools.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also give my vote to the Remington 700. I have owned at least 40 of these fine rifles and presently have 12 to 15. I own many other models, Ruger, Winchester , savage , etc. All are dependable, but Remington most always gives you good "out of the box" accuracy and trouble free preformance. I have not owned a Tikka so I can not comment here othe than say they enjoy a very good reputation. Just pick the one that feels the best to you. 7mm Rem. Mag is also a good choice. Good luck.

Posts: 36 | Location: Little Rock, Ar | Registered: 19 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but another one for the Tikka. In a heavy calibre personally I would go for the LS, its not heavy, its just right, I have a T3 lite in 223 which is fine, I also have a 7-08 in the 595(older one) both are tack drivers, my friend has just brought a 300wsm in T3 LS and it is beautiful to shoot,carry and its accurate.Recoil is there but nothing to worry about, Im sure the 7mm Rem Mag may even be less.

Go the Tikka !!!!!

Regards Runas

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remmington, for me also. I have all three, including Rugers, Winchesters, Sakos, and Marlins...

When in doubt, and you need an accurate rifle out of the box, that you can depend on the way it is, Remmington Model 700. The XCR is a fine rifle for the purpose.

Regards... PAH

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the input. From what I hear I can't go too far wrong with any of the three. WHat I am not hearing is bad experiences with rifles you all owned.

Allan - I agree with the familiarity issue. Being unsure of my equipment has been a source of buck fever in the past. I guess I want to try something new and am willing to take the time to become familiar with it.

While I really like wood, this one is going to be a plastic rifle - I want a waterproof one. I may wind up adding weight to the stock if I decide it is too light. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks again.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I really like wood, this one is going to be a plastic rifle - I want a waterproof one. I may wind up adding weight to the stock if I decide it is too light. Any suggestions on that?

I took in a lightweight 300wsm with a plastic stock on a trade that was far too light for my liking. I mixed small lead shot with epoxy and placed it in the stock voids in various locations so the rifle would gain weight as well as balance. I've also packed thin plastic garbage bags into the open cavity of the rear to get rid of the hollow sound and add alittle weight(you can use spray foam to eliminate the sound but, it will not add weight, the compressed plastic bags will do both).

If you are used to the Remington and want something different, the Tikka would be the way to go. Safety is located in the same area and 2 pos like the remington with the exception of the bolt lock.

Good Luck

Reloader

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:

The XCR was made for you.

+1. Given the options you've listed, I'd take the Remmy every time. I'll probably get flamed to no end for recommending a Remington product (suit on), but I've always liked their rifles and the XCR seems to be just about as nuke-proof as you can get.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corax:
Allan - I agree with the familiarity issue. Being unsure of my equipment has been a source of buck fever in the past. I guess I want to try something new and am willing to take the time to become familiar with it.
Thanks again.

the "familiarity issue" has saved me a lot of money over the years because I haven't gotten heavily into a lot of other make rifles.

It's the same reason why I'll never be "serious"
about any handgun other than a 1911 variant.

I don't need to think about how to operate it
when I NEED it to operate RIGHT-F'ING-NOW!

I've never missed a shot because I put my finger in the wrong place to turn off the safety....

quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:If you are used to the Remington and want something different, the Tikka would be the way to go. Safety is located in the same area and 2 pos like the remington with the exception of the bolt lock.

Good Luck

Reloader

Remington got rid of the bolt lock some time ago...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:If you are used to the Remington and want something different, the Tikka would be the way to go. Safety is located in the same area and 2 pos like the remington with the exception of the bolt lock.

Good Luck

Reloader

Remington got rid of the bolt lock some time ago...

AD,

I was refering to the Tikka which has a 2 pos safety and bolt lock.

Reloader