New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheathed knives during the hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I use non-stainless steel kitchen knives. Other than initial discoloration/staining, I experience zero additional corrosion. But I clean and dry them thoroughly. I find no additional rust inhibitor or wax necessary to maintain them. But condition of their use is well controlled.

Those of you who use non-stainless or near-stainless (D2, etc.) steel fixed-blade knives: After a successful larger game (deer, elk, moose, etc.) hunt when you have field dressed and/or quartered your animal, and you will be in the field for several hours to several days, you will clean your blade as best you can then sheath it. How severely does your blade corrode (or rust or whatever deleterious effect results)? OR what procedure do you use to maintain the blade - assuming you don't carry detailed maintenance equipment with you?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1507 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wipe it off on a pant leg and keep moving

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't worry I use stainless knifes after have carbon ones rust on me.

The same reason I like stainless sty stocked rifles where maintenance can be a issue.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Plus one on ravenr's comment.

I don't carry a sheath knife, haven't for years.

I use two Buck 110 folding hunters and a Leatherman Multi-Tool because of the saw blade for splitting pelvis's. I rinse them off, wipe off excess water on my pant legs, put them back in my pocket and move along.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:

Me too. I do carry fixed blade knives but I keep them in my daypack.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Randall got quite rusted/tarnished after last year's elk. My fault for not taking care of it. I rehabbed it with Flitz and its no worse for wear. Other than the Randall, most my fixed blades are of modern stainless. I've found D2 to hold the best edge for me, and is easiest to sharpen. Right now my edc is a Doizer personal from AG Russell, its a little gem of a knife. I believe Doizer prefers D2 and I've had zero problems with any corrosion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much what ravenr said. I just wipe them off, put them back in the sheath and go on. I find the animal fat makes a pretty good protective coating. Never had one rust. When I get home, I MAY do more if I think about it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:

Me, too. I don't like sharpening stainless knives, they're kind of gummy. My skinning knife is an old Swedish piece I've used for 50 years.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14444 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
What do you guys use a knife for?

As bad a hunter as I am....and an even worse shot

I don't get a knife dirty very often

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a sheath knife. I prefer a blade of 3/12 inch to 3 3/4 but not longer for my own knife. It is in a pocket or handy side pocket of a bag that will not come off unless I take it off. A person can get into a jam without a good sheath knife. Think of holes, falling etc etc of things that can wrong.
I have made myself folding hunters and they do ok. I was brought up using a folding knife to clean about anything. And it will. But there are times when a fixed blade sheath knife will come in right handy.
New carbon steel, go cut an apple and let that patina get on it, oil it and go forth. Stainless, wipe with water or the pants leg and go about your business.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like D2,O1,ATS-34.All hold a good edge.I usually carry handi-wipes in my pocket.I wipe my blade with them.They are also good for after a prairie dump.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For years I have used Case pocket knives for gutting and skinning. This year I have made several knives and I plan to use some.
This one is the one I plan to use on my Antelope hunt.

This one I am thinking I am going to use on my Deer Hunt.

This one will be used to cut meat.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

As bad a hunter as I am....and an even worse shot

I don't get a knife dirty very often

SKINNING!

from time to time.

JAPPFT,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Skinning.....hmmmm

Whodathunkit

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Skinning.....hmmmm

Whodathunkit

ya',

when I'm not using them for "props"......

JAPPFT,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya:

Very nice photos.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say the old Rudy knife got my attention. That is a fine collection of knives you have. Great pictures of them being used doing what they were made to do. Scott

Posts: 414 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least now we know what G-dub's been doing
these past weeks/ months....
Great looking knives tu2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

With a lot of practice, a closed Buck 110, makes a better beer bottle opener than a old fashioned Church Key! Or so I have been told. shocker beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

With a lot of practice, a closed Buck 110, makes a better beer bottle opener than a old fashioned Church Key! Or so I have been told. shocker beer

Randall,

My EDC was a Boker Top Lock Auto for about 12 years before I misplaced it.

I bet I opened close to 3,000 Negra Modelo bottles with it.

JAPPFT,

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see the situation, I REALLY do not see a problem!!! clap clap clap beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sheathed fixed blade hunting knives poke a hole thru the end of the sheath and are not that easy to carry safety wise either.

While I have used a fixed for a lifetime I carry a suitable folder these days when BG hunting with a second serrated blade.

They are only knives.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
My favorite knife

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Prey in sight

Dressed and done

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To bastardize a bromide.......

Life

is

just

too

short

to

employ

a

FUGLY

knife

IMHO,

Best,

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the previous replies are incredibly unfair to those of us who were not invited to join them for dinner. Actually, I don't care about everybody else. Why wasn't I invited?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1507 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naphtali!

Come on Down!

Almost always cookin' up a pot of my Texas Barkin' Spider Beans

or Black-Eye Peas.........

or stew.....

sometimes grillin' some yard-bird.......

or steaks.......

smokin' a turkey......

or a pork hind........

makin' jerky

and other such non-sense.

JAPPFT,

GWB

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
For my purposes I like carbon steel better then stainless. I just clean them off with water after using them and wipe them with an oily rag when done hunting. I've never had one get serious rust doing this. A little tarnish is just part of a well used blade.

Carbon In my opinion takes a far finer and sharper edge then stainless and is easier to touch up in the field. One of my favorite brands is Helle which is made in Norway it has a laminated blade that's carbon steel sandwiched with stainless on the outside. It's really the best of both worlds. They may not be the prettiest compared to a lot of customs but to me the beauty is in their function in field, not their looks. Helle's designs are very practicle and well thought out.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2804 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote