Find
Notify
Tools

Game Cam Pic
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
I got this off Facebook, don't know if legit or has already been around, first time for me anyway:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am no photo expert beut certain things look funny

1) What are the cat's teeth sunk into that would allow it to hold the head up? The small amount of flesh on the lower jaw?

2) Doesn't even look like the cat's mouth is open.

I guess it's possible that picture snapped at the exact moment the cat was dropping its hold but the deer's head had not hit the ground.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's legit and that's how a cat kills a lot of the time by a bite to the neck and they hold on until the animal can no longer breathe and it suffocates. They will also grab and bite the spinal column in the neck area and the game is over that way too. I have no idea how one can comment about the position of the cat's head/mouth since it's behind the deer and not visible.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Interesting picture, but I don't think it's real. Cat and deer are way too big compared to the feeder. Cats paws are floating above the ground it seems.

Very poor photoshop job.

It's a shame, because there are some real game camera pictures out there of very similar scenes.

That may be one of those photos that a guy used to play a joke on his buddy. Take his game camera "scene" and add animals. Huge bucks, Mountain Lions ... then finally, an Elephant. It was a funny progression of photos.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last post is really funny (floating paws, too big for feeder size) because I know where that picture was taken, who originally posted it, and it is NOT photoshopped, LOL!

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
The last post is really funny (floating paws, too big for feeder size) because I know where that picture was taken, who originally posted it, and it is NOT photoshopped, LOL!

Topgun, sorry, but that picture has been floating around the internet for 3 or 4 years now, and is photoshopped. Not trying to stir anything up with you, but that picture is not of an actual event.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC---Sorry, but just because the photo was posted 3 or 4 years ago has nothing to do with it being fake. If you can prove otherwise with irrefutable evidence, it will be very interesting because I know otherwise!

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
It's legit and that's how a cat kills a lot of the time by a bite to the neck and they hold on until the animal can no longer breathe and it suffocates.

If you consider how short a cat's snout is, it is impossible that the cat is biting the deer's windpipe or even the side of the neck.

It is possible that the cat had a hold on the deer's cheek, or that the cat was dropping the deer as the photo was snapped.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBrown---That may well be that the deer is already dead because a cat moves it's prey by straddling it and pulling it off into a secluded place most of the time. A rancher friend of mine in Wyoming watched one take down an adult elk cow one day, which he said was impressive enough. What he said was really amazing is the way the cat straddled that big 500# cow and did just what this picture shows to take it into the timber out of sight before it started eating on it.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Another, also from the "Texas Hill Country" FB page:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
"It's legit and that's how a cat kills a lot of the time by a bite to the neck and they hold on until the animal can no longer breathe and it suffocates. They will also grab and bite the spinal column in the neck area and the game is over that way too. I have no idea how one can comment about the position of the cat's head/mouth since it's behind the deer and not visible."

If it is true, it is great to hear, but please give us the details of where and when.

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not really much to tell! It was taken on a friend's ranch up in the hill country nw of Kerrville, TX a few years ago. There were also a number of pics of that buck coming into that feeder until that night!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it could be real, but the lack of blood and the area torn up makes it a little suspect. I have found elk and deer both killed by lions several times, and the area where the attack takes place is usually torn to shreds. And usually pretty bloody.

one of us
posted Hide Post
watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLqJCGNCjo

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like it could be real, but the lack of blood and the area torn up makes it a little suspect. I have found elk and deer both killed by lions several times, and the area where the attack takes place is usually torn to shreds. And usually pretty bloody.

The buck was killed off to the right of the feeder in the picture and the camera caught it as the cat was dragging him into the brush!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Top Gun, if you want to believe the picture is legit, that is your privledge. At this point in time I cannot prove other wise.

All I know is that several pictures have been floating around the internet for several years now, this appears to be one of them, and all have turned out to be fakes.

Until I or someone else comes up with better info, I have to assume it is real. That does not change my opinion however. Some folks are really good at photo-shopping stuff and I have seen a few that people believed were real, only to find out that they had been faked.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
TopGun,

I don't have to be able to "see the cats" mouth. I can make a reasonable estimate by extending the "lines" of what I can see...and that cat's mouth is not on that deers neck.

If anything tit looks like the cat is kissing the deer on the side of its mouth.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
If anything tit looks like the cat is kissing the deer on the side of its mouth.

Now that you mention it, it does look like the deer is leaning in to receive a little smooch on the cheek.
Big Grin

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to give the picture the benefit of the doubt for now. But after playing around on the web for a few years now, it still amazes me as to how pictures can be fabricated yet still appear totally real.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks CHC, as at least someone may be listening! Some of the others are unf******real, LOL! The cat's head is almost totally behind the buck's head/neck and yet you can tell he doesn't have his mouth open! Get serious will ya!!! This BS you're spouting is exactly why my friend didn't post anything other than the picture when he got it on camera. He had absolutely no reason to photoshop anything since he decided to remain anonymous just because of crap like you guys are spouting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I say it is real, the cat has to clear the antlers so it gives cause for the cats head position, additionily that is at least a 160 pound deer which would be quite a stress on the cats neck when pulling look at the deer's right ear it is is a position that implies contact with the cat's shoulder. There are no shadows however the deers eyes show light reflection all tones on the animals coat color are quite similar indicating to me at least that the lighting conditions are the same, fairly difficult to match if some some was mixing photos

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not push dragging like the above picture.

That's a good point, but the cat might not have been trying to move the deer at the instant the photo was taken. It could have still been in the 'killing phase.'

The picture shows ordinary animals doing what they do every day. It's an interesting shot (especially to hunters and outdoors people) but not really all that remarkable. Certainly not an image that was worth taking a lot of time create with Photoshop.

I'm always a skeptic but I think this one's for real.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not push dragging like the above picture.

That has to be about the dumbest friggin statement I've ever read, LOL! Give me one good reason why my friend would photoshop that picture! Please, give me one good reason! It's to the point where I'm being called a liar by a couple people and I'm not very happy about that!!! Cat's are unbelieveably strong, as witnessed by the video of that cat taking down that mature mulie buck that was probably twice the size of that WT at my friends ranch in the Hill country.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Top Gun, I seriously do not believe that anyone is calling you a liar.

However as much as some of us have seen on the internet, questioning the validity of a picture is just standard operating procedure.

Too many of us have been "Got" by pictures that appear to be 100% authentic, only to find out that the pictures were not authentic.

I don't believe any of us are questioning your motives or beliefs, but you would not be the first person to have received a photo that was not authentic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think about your sentence for a while Mr. English expert and then go look up the definition for the two words ---Duh! When you push something you sure as chit aren't pulling it, LOL!
PS: I'll make sure and tell my rancher friend you think it's fake the next time I talk to him. I'm sure he'll really care, LOL!!!

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
Think about your sentence for a while Mr. English expert and then go look up the definition for the two words ---Duh! When you push something you sure as chit aren't pulling it, LOL!
PS: I'll make sure and tell my rancher friend you think it's fake the next time I talk to him. I'm sure he'll really care, LOL!!!

More to the point, why do you care so much?

I hope you can appreciate the idea that we don't know you or each other from Adam. Maybe you're telling the truth or not, maybe the picture is real or not. Who knows?

Personally, I'm not bothered in the slightest by internet opinions that oppose mine. The may or may not know more about the issue than I do and best of all, if in fact I am electronically proven to be right or wrong it doesn't matter outside the corners of my computer screen in any way.

Hey, if you know you're right and you know the picture is real what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

Posts: 9480 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I retracted my earlier comment. I went to a better screen, got it my glasses and reviewed it in a program in which one can make a relatively sound decision regarding its origins and history.

After careful review, some things are quite obvious. But I am not going to get into the middle of a heated debate here. It's simply not worth it.

If you know what to look for in order to make a yes/no determination and want to make your own decision, use a program like Corel and a screen with ample resolution. I will leave it at that.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Top Gun, I seriously do not believe that anyone is calling you a liar.

Allright, I'll do it, Flopgun, your a liar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As if I give a flying **** what 505 gibbs has to say about anything, LOL! Take a friggin leap back where you were hatched!!!

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I thought you had me on ignore, yet another lie. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off, Monkies can't think Mr. azzhat, and you are wrong like always, LOL! It's your brother DUMB I have on that list but I just took care of you too, LOL!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen---Apologies can be offered at any time now after you read the article in the link below!!! 505 Gibbs, in particular, can now officially kiss my azz!!! I had no idea that Mark had cleared this up with that writer until doing a search today because of so many naysayers here.

http://www.buckmanager.com/200...lled-this-whitetail/

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I actually think the apology that is owed is from you to the others here.

The OP asked what people think.

People sated what they thought and it appears you have difficulty fathoming that anybody could have an opinion that is inconsistent with a statement you make.

It really doesn't matter that you stated "you knew it was true". There are many people that believe things based on incorrect information.

With regard to the link that you provided... quite frankly there is nothing on that web page that actually proves anything.

A deer running away 25 minutes before the supposed kill is proof of exactly what?

A mark in the dirt that kinda sorta maybe could be a drag mark that isn't present behind the deer in the first pic proves exactly what?

And how do any of us know Chet Markgraf isn't the biggest prankster in the whole world.

By the way, I would estimate that close to 40% (and maybe even close to 50%) of that lion's head is exposed which is quite a bit different than "The cat's head is almost totally behind the buck's head/neck".

By the way, I am sure you may have just been typing fast but none of that cat's head is behind the deer's neck.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The OP DIDN'T ask what anybody thought! YOU were the first to immediately come up with goofy reasons stating it was photoshopped. Furthermore, I could also give a rat's azz what you think now if you read that article, looked at the pics, and then can only come back with more of your BS!!! Some people won't admit they're wrong no matter what and you are obviously one of them!!!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
You are right about 1 thing the OP didn't state "what do you think?"

I presumed that based on his comment "don't know if legit".

Given, this is an internet forum it is not a big leap that when people post something they are inviting for other people to state what they think.

Now if you will just apply that same level of precision reading that you did to the original post to the rest of my posts you will see that you are wrong about your statement:

"Some people won't admit they're wrong no matter what and you are obviously one of them!!!"

You will see that your are wrong because I have never said that I am right; therefore, it is impossible for me to not admit I am wrong. It's logic a thing but I digress.

My posts state what my opinion is about the photo. Nowhere do I attempt to state my opinion is correct. I simply further clarify the reasons for my opinion.

My comments regarding the web page merely point out that it actually offers no proof of the authenticity of the picture. Again, that is different than stating I am right. It is simply a statement that something else is not proof.

You seem to lose a bit of reason when anybody states an opinion that disagrees with you.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gonna have to add a new "What you have learned" to your list.

Stating an honest opinion on a subject, let's everyone know that you are the undisputed authority on the subject!

An opinion, is just an opinion and does not have to be based on fact. An opinion is simply what the individual stating it thinks about the subject at hand at that particular point in time, and is subject to change or be modified as the person gathers more information on the subject.

Over the few years I have been roaming the internet I have seen lots of pictures that appeared real as hell only to find out they were not what they were claimed to be. Same with different stories and statements credited to various people and related as the gospel truth only to have someone check it out on Snopes and find out it was total BS.

Even with the evidence being presented, I have my doubts about its validity. Can a persons opinion be proven wrong, yes they can, but it does not mean they have no right to form and express an opinion nor does it mean they believe themselves to be an expert. It just means that they have the ability and the intelligence to form an independent opinion on a subject.

That is something that used to be admired in this country, free and independent thought by an individual.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Stating an honest opinion on a subject, let's everyone know that you are the undisputed authority on the subject!"

That is absolute baloney and I'm being kind with that response! An opinion can be right or wrong and if it won't hold up based on the actual facts of what is being discussed, then it isn't worth a tinkers dam to those knowing the truth based on those actual facts! It's very easy for you and the supposed photoshop
expert(s) to give your "opinion", but all you're doing is guessing when you state that opinion. I certainly don't lack reading comprehension and I don't need any schooling on what an opinion is. What I'm trying to say is that when someone comes on a site like I did and stated that I had first hand information that the photo was real that I trusted at least a few of the other regulars to realize that I had no reason to do that if it wasn't true since I had nothing to gain one way or the other by offering that statement. If this picture had come from a game camera that YOU owned and knew for sure that there was no faking, photoshopping, etc. and people came on and basicly said you're full of shit, one calls you an outright liar and there is no way it's real, how would you then feel? That's why I was so upset and continue to be when people are attacking my credibility over a situation where I had nothing to gain in the first place. Let the friggin thread die and you all can believe in the Fairy Godmother for all I care!

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not really much to tell! It was taken on a friend's ranch up in the hill country nw of Kerrville, TX a few years ago. There were also a number of pics of that buck coming into that feeder until that night!

quote:
Gentlemen---Apologies can be offered at any time now after you read the article in the link below!!! 505 Gibbs, in particular, can now officially kiss my azz!!! I had no idea that Mark had cleared this up with that writer until doing a search today because of so many naysayers here.

Hey moron, I didn't get in the argument over whether it was real or not, I was calling you a liar because you said the pic was taken on a friend of yours place in the Hill Country NW of Kerrville. The pic was taken on a ranch around Hebbronville in S. Texas, no where near the Hill Country and definetely not NW of Kerrville. So I will re-assert my previous statement, YOU ARE A LIAR!, and it would appear a habitual one at that... Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your both liars that picture was taken in New York City Central Park.I personally know the guy who put the feed station and camera up!!!!!!!And my Old man can kick your old mans ass!!!! dancing

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Stating an honest opinion on a subject, let's everyone know that you are the undisputed authority on the subject!"That is absolute baloney and I'm being kind with that response! An opinion can be right or wrong and if it won't hold up based on the actual facts of what is being discussed, then it isn't worth a tinkers dam to those knowing the truth based on those actual facts! It's very easy for you and the supposed photoshop expert(s) to give your "opinion", but all you're doing is guessing when you state that opinion. I certainly don't lack reading comprehension and I don't need any schooling on what an opinion is. What I'm trying to say is that when someone comes on a site like I did and stated that I had first hand information that the photo was real that I trusted at least a few of the other regulars to realize that I had no reason to do that if it wasn't true since I had nothing to gain one way or the other by offering that statement. If this picture had come from a game camera that YOU owned and knew for sure that there was no faking, photoshopping, etc. and people came on and basicly said you're full of shit, one calls you an outright liar and there is no way it's real, how would you then feel? That's why I was so upset and continue to be when people are attacking my credibility over a situation where I had nothing to gain in the first place. Let the friggin thread die and you all can believe in the Fairy Godmother for all I care!

I think that if I knew the picture was real, I would let the thread die and let people think whatever they wanted to. A person can defend themselves until hell freezes over or we get a Republican President, not sure which will happen first, does not change the fact that some folks are going to continue having doubts.

TopGun, it is the internet, you have been around long enough to know how the game is played. Any picture that anyone posts is subject to being viewed with a jaundiced eye, simply because of the ease with which pictures can be faked.