Find
Notify
Tools

Game Cam Pic
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And my Old man can kick your old mans ass!!!!

LOL! CHC you're correct in that this thread is dead and so is the buck that cat killed and "push-pulled" into the brush, LOL! Have a good weekend gentlemen!!!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
FLA3006,

I downloaded the pic and blew it up to 800% on a high res monitor.

Look at the area in and around the arrows.

Notice the change in the distinction between the lion's back and night air left and right of the arrow for what seems to be no reason. On the one side there is a distinct black line on the other side there is not.

With respect to the antlers, there seems to be a distinct change in the formation of the pixels on the lower part of the antler as opposed to the upper part.

You can't see it of course in the post...but if you download it and blow it up you can.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Download this and blow it up 800% on your high resolution screen Mr. Expert and then stick it where the sun don't shine, LOL! horse

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
TopGun,

I appreciate the compliment of you thinking I am an expert but I have never claimed to be one.

Just making observations of what I saw.

You know I am curious about you declaring this post dead.

I think this is Forest's post whom I have actually met and shared a blind with and consider a friend. He is a fine gentleman.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never said it wasn't his or he isn't a gentleman now did I?!!! Keep it alive all you want, as every time you post like that 800% blow up one it just reaffirms what I said about you earlier in the thread and it wasn't a compliment, nor was the Mr. Expert designation, LOL!!!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike, nice to hear from you. How's your ranch in Montana? Thanks for the info, I will have to take a look at that, altho I'm no expert either.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
As someone who makes most of his living these days as a professional photo retoucher I must say that this thread is one of the funniest things I have read in a long while.

One guy says my buddy told me so you must believe it's real.

Half a dozen other guys say I'm no expert... but here is my expert opinion why its fake.

Let me let you all in on the worst kept secret in digital photography. 99% of all images published have been "worked on" and when done by a professional you never know it. Now I think it's safe to assume that when the OP was wondering "if it was real" he was wondering if the cougar in the photo actually had the deer in its mouth when the photo was taken.

Obviously Mike_Dettorre your trying to get to the truth and feel very passionately about it. The problem is you are looking at a piece of crap image. If you look at all of the banding in the image it is a dead giveaway of a low quality image. I wouldn't put too much stock in pixel patterns and black lines with a file such as this. Now that doesn't prove that it is "real" it just proves that it's of bad image quality.

Usually the easiest giveaway to a poorly done file composite is lighting that doesn't match(shadows on the left and right in different parts of the photo) or file blending that doesn't match. (Bad cut and paste job along the edges).

In this photo the light does match and the file is too poor to get a good sense of the blending. So without the original file. (By looking at the imbedded file metadata you can tell this is not the original file). There is no way to tell if this "real" or not.

The only person who can really know is the guy with the trail camera.

BTW Topgun 30-06 if you have access to the original image from your buddy on the ranch email it to me and I can probably tell all of your haters on here if its "real". jason@jasonwoodimages.com

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MN Hunter---I doubt that even if both of us and the rancher took a polygraph test to shut at least one "expert" up that it would do the trick, LOL! Thanks for your comments because of your expert background though. I was sort of thinking the same things as your comments when the "blow it up 800% and look at the pixels' and all the other hogwash was stated in his post.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
MNHunter,

I noticed all that banding didn't know what caused it.

Not so much passionately (actually dispassionately) trying to get truth...I actually just enjoy the intellectual analysis of information.

Being able to look at an issue from the opposite side is always enlightening.

The easy answer is to accept the information presented. My professional career is mostly about not accepting information that is offered and challenging the status quo.

Many folks can't analyze things from the opposite side. I always try tear my own ideas apart from a logical perspective.

You can often tell the intellectual capability of others by how they react to an alternative analysis of their information.

I disagree with you on two points. I don't recall any of the dissenters stating they are an expert. Most of the dissenters I believe stated here are things that they see that raise questions.

Additionally, I don't see any haters regarding the authenticity. I see people questioning but not hating.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
MNHunter is correct in that he or no one else can analyze every aspect regarding the photo due to the low quality. But that does not leave it immune from analysis.

Also, while that poor quality can indeed cause some of the effects he alluded to, so can poorly-done editing, over-zealous sharpening, not knowing how to properly feather edges and simply not matching up resoution when pieces together a "puzzle." Failure to apply the same changes in density, saturation and contrast to all layers will also show up in the end result.

Lastly, improper use of certain tools can and will result in areas which display absolutely nothing sharp or in focus (in comparison to nearby areas). And no, I am not referring to depth of field, either.

My photo experience only tallies around 30 years, so don't take my word on anything. But another individual here who has tons of experience and knows the field from top-to-bottom concluded the exact same things I did after viewing this image.

Like I said, I am not going to get into the debate regarding the authenticity of the scene. But there IS enough info in that low-quality image to come to a reasonable and logical conclusion as to what has been done to it.

Everyone can make up their own minds.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
MN Hunter,

I was wondering if you could comment about this drag mark pic.

Things that I notice are the following:

1) Both in front of and behind the drag mark you can make out individual stones.

2) In the drag mark I don't see any stones; i.e., the drag mark appears too "perfect". No jerkiness to the drag mark but one long smooth mark as if it was done with a a miniature grader or a paint brush (no pun intended). As if every single stones was pushed to just below the surface.

3) The drag mark appears to be of a very uniform width. The deer never appeared to roll or twist at all and it appears it legs never made any marks on the edges of the drag mark.

3)Both in front of and behind the drag mark the ground is in focus but in the drag mark the ground is blurred. Regardless of the absence of stones, their appears to be a distinct difference in the focus in front of and behind the drag mark as opposed to in the drag mark.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
No expert by any means, and I have nothing for size reference to see the distance between the drag mark and the bottom edge of the picture, but the proximity of the drag mark to the feeder could be, and maybe I am, mistaken for a tire track from the vehicle used to service the feeder. JAO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
only if they used a unicycle... Big Grin

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that, Randall.

Hope you are doing well!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
only if they used a unicycle

That would be an interesting concept wouldn't it!!!! rotflmo rotflmo

As I said there isn't a point of reference between that mark and the bottom edge of the frame/picture. It maybe a lot farther than I think it is or appears to be.

My guess at the possibility of it being a tire track is due to the number of feeders I tend to that I drive right up to and fill from the back of a pick-up.

As you have pointed out however, without the knowledge and equipment it is difficult at best to determine if a photo posted on any site is real or shopped.

I am doing fairly well, had out patient surgery this morning to remove a screw that had came out of one of the plates in my elbow.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ouch...

Am guessing that had to cause a good bit of discomfort. Hope it heals quickly for you.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
MN Hunter,

I was wondering if you could comment about this drag mark pic.

Things that I notice are the following:

1) Both in front of and behind the drag mark you can make out individual stones.

2) In the drag mark I don't see any stones; i.e., the drag mark appears too "perfect". No jerkiness to the drag mark but one long smooth mark as if it was done with a a miniature grader or a paint brush (no pun intended). As if every single stones was pushed to just below the surface.

3) The drag mark appears to be of a very uniform width. The deer never appeared to roll or twist at all and it appears it legs never made any marks on the edges of the drag mark.

3)Both in front of and behind the drag mark the ground is in focus but in the drag mark the ground is blurred. Regardless of the absence of stones, their appears to be a distinct difference in the focus in front of and behind the drag mark as opposed to in the drag mark.

Sorry I don't have time to look deeper at the photo tonight I will try tomorrow. But my question would be where are the drag marks from the legs???

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
That is kinda my point...the photo is supposed to be the drag marks from the deer according to the website that posted the additional photos from the game cam sequence of the killed deer.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Though I can appreciate the pride that some people feel regarding their opinions and in the faith that they have in random internet pics being 100% authentic...even though they have really nothing do with them.....I have to say that the pic is Fake.

JMHO