Find
Notify
Tools

TX Deer hunt report and photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
We had a fantastic trip to Keyhole Outdoors in Brady TX. (www.keyholeoutdoors.com/) This is a low fence ranch and the rifle opener began Sat. Nov 3. I got to the ranch with my bow on Friday afternoon, and Dickey Key let me go to a Double Bull blind and sit that afternoon. We were in an oak mott that was just filthy with acorns and deer came in and out all afternon. We saw a number of good 8 and 9 pointers, but an 11-pointer that was obviously an older deer from his body size came in to about 100 yards. He never got closer, but we watched him bed and then get up and leave the area. We knew he was a for sure shooter.

The next morning we went back and saw some small bucks and does. That afternon we switched stands due to wind and saw plenty of deer and a suber 5x8 3-1/2 year old buck. An ancient 6 pointer with a huge body snort wheezed and ran the 13 pointer off. He was beautiful and I would have shot him, but he will be a super buck next year. That day my buddy Eddie Stevenson brought in a super high old 8-pointer...

We tried a new stand the next morning and afternoon with sightings of a few good 3 year olds but nothing huge. I did arrow a nice Rio gobbler that afternoon at 21 yards. He had a 10-inch beard and 1 1/8" spurs. Sorry, I didn't have my camera with me and got no photos. Joe Arterburn from Cabela's took a really nice buck that afternoon as did John Barsness of Successful Hunter magazine...

The next morning we decided to go back to the Double Bull and try it again. We had some of the same young bucks around and the area was torn up with rubs and scrapes. About an hour after daylight, I peaked out of the back of the blind, and I saw our 11-pointer from the first night. He was 50-60 yards behind us, but he was on a line that would put him right in front of me if he continued.

After a while, he stepped in front of the blind at a mere 16 yards. I drew and waited for a good angle. He was barely quartering to, and I wouldn't take the shot. I held so long that I set my bottom cam on my knee to rest and wait. Finally he shifted around and gave me a broadside. I let the arrow fly from my BowTech Guardian, and it was an absolutely perfect shot. He ran out in the brush and was done. I scored him at an honest 137 - everyone was thinking he was 140+.

I shot both the gobbler and buck with the Rage 2 blade, and the entrance holes were phenomenal. I am hooked on that broadhead.

It was really cool taking the great buck that close on ground level, and the footage we got for Outdoor America is super. The Lumenok really made the shot dramatic. I highly recommend Keyhole Outdoors to anyone looking for a high quality LOW FENCE FREE RANGE Texas deer hunt. Bow hunters will definitely have a great opportunity to get a P&Y or much better buck, and with a rifle, you can be very choosey. It is such a blast to go out and see tons of bucks on virtually every sit. I am definitely going back!!!

Tim H.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very, very, nice deer there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
GREAT photos too!

Congrats. Looks like a lot of fun! Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim, thanks for the update and the usual great pictures. Looks like ya'll pretty much loaded the boat. Great 11 pt. how old?

Glad you enjoyed Texas from a "low fence" perspective and the "shows" continue to show Texas as "high fence" deer ranching which all S. Texans know is utter hogwash.

Come back soon and let us know when ya'll will have it on tv.

PS No snakes?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
looks like you had a great time - congratulations! thumb

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
We made a big deal out of the ranch being low fence - over and over for the TV aspect to let people know you can kill good deer down there outside a fence.

Not sure, but I think it will run first quarter of 2008 on Outdoor America...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of Texas has had unusually abundant rainfall this year and the racks show it. You picked a great year to hunt Texas.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Awesome hunting story and pics. thumb

Congratulations beer and thanks for sharing!

X

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Eddie and the Remington folks with Dickie for Rio Grande turkeys a couple of years back, great operation, had a blast. Eddie is a great companion in camp, a true sportsman and hard-hunting guy, and Dickie was a bunch of fun. I'd hunt with them any time.
Walt Hampton

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are some nice looking bucks, good job!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice time.. Congrats!

www.keyholeoutdoors.com

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NIce Bucks!Congratulations! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote