New
Find
Notify
Tools

helos, hogs and the homeless
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Being 105 degrees here in South TX not a whole lot of hunting happens this time of year. Being adventurous and hating the problem we have with hogs we rented a chopper and got after them in a serious way on Saturday morning!
It started with realizing the helicopter company booked the wrong date and had to scramble someone to us. As a result our 7am lift off turned into 10:30am, about a 30 degree difference in temperature. With all the local pilots in East TX seeding rice fields we had a new guy out of Uvalde...lets just say if our usual pilot flies conservatively Matt flew it like it was stolen. The ride itself was worth the money spent if a shot was never fired. The first two guys went up for about 20 minutes then flagged me down, I thought they needed more ammo or something. The guest informs me that it is my turn, this is where I explained I never go up. My job is to kill the wounded and get as many runners as possible with the an AR from my Polaris. I replied " go back to the house and pick up Steve, he'll wanna go". Reply "Steve threw up, he is done". Mind you Steve has shot hogs from the helo no less than 5 times, he's a veteran. Veterans don't throw up???? So told the guest to go back up. Reply, brief pause..." I threw up...I'm done" Holy S^%$, this guy is military, and he threw up. Well I stay on the ground to be polite and let the others have all the fun BUT you don't have to ask twice if I have the green light. Long story short, the next hour and 15 minutes I shot 40+ hogs and had the RIDE of my life. That bird was sideways, tail down, nose down, up side down..almost. The head leaser told the pilot he flew like he did with him the he did with the 2 other guys the bird was going down because he was gonna shot the pilot in mid flight! I told him when I got in that I did not share those thoughts and he had cart-blanc to fly the way he saw fit. The ranch owner was sitting behind me and hit on the back of the head and said to not encourage him...IT WAS GREAT!

We were able to recover and butcher a lot of them before they spoiled and wound up with about 600 pounds of ground pork for the homeless ministry in our church, thats over 2,000 meals created in 8 hours. We had 12 volunteers from my church's Sportsman's Group show up to add in recovery and do all the processing. It was a great time had by all...well except the hogs.

I used an FN FAL 308 with an Aimpoint and fitted with a brass catcher. I have a bunch of Federal 150gr soft points that do amazingly well and I bought them 4 years ago when we started doing this so they were only 10.99 a box at the time. I bought 400 rounds at the time and wish I had bought 4,000 more. I spent a total 68 rounds to get 40 hogs. All in all it was one of the best times I have ever had.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Good way to make meat! Sounds like a lot of fun too. Don't suppose you have any photos... Wink

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
I'm sitting in Mexico right now getting ready to go diving....but I'm jealous Frowner I would have traded places with you in a heart beat!!!

Sounds like a blast, literally!!

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll check with the guys on the ground to see if any pics were taken...I was too busy shooting.. Cool

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
not to be nosy,but out of curiosity,how much did it cost,ball park, to get the 40 hogs?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun time. How often is something like this done? Would like to see some pictures if you have them.

Thanks,

Greg

Posts: 201 | Location: Sonoma, California | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
where were you hunting?????

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2832 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jb
Average cost is 250.00/hr for a 2 seater and 400.00/hr for a 4 seater.

BigChev
we try to do this 2-3 times a year to stay ahead of the population.

Perry

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Death from above indeed. You did blast Wagner's Flight Ride of the Valkyrie, I hope?

Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kamo
Last year as everyone was standing around the chopper getting ready I did crank up Ride on the the lodges outdoor speakers. Everyone got a kick out of that.

Perry

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Perry,

Well done!! That is about the only effective way to stay a "little bit" ahead of them. Since they changed the law regarding aerial gunning on hogs, do you still have to get the state permit?

Congrats,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
During debate it was referred to as the "Pork Chopper Bill" Smiler

Bill Number: TX81RHB 836 Date: 05-17-2009

ENGROSSED

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

1 AN ACT

2 relating to hunting of feral hogs by helicopter.

3 BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:

4 SECTION 1. Section 43.109, Parks and Wildlife Code, is

5 amended by adding Subsection (c) to read as follows:

6 (c) A proclamation or regulation of the commission adopted

7 under this subchapter may not prohibit a person or the person's

8 agent or lessee who holds a landowner's authorization and a permit

9 under this subchapter from using a helicopter to take depredating

10 feral hogs.

11 SECTION 2. As soon as practicable after the effective date

12 of this Act, the Parks and Wildlife Commission shall adopt rules to

13 implement Section 62.003(c), Parks and Wildlife Code, as added by

14 this Act.

15 SECTION 3. This Act takes effect September 1, 2009.

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
So, even with the new law this fall, you will need a permit.

Thanks,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote