Find
Notify
Tools

East Texas Hog after Christmas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted
Almost every year after Christmas, my wife and I go hunting on public land in the national forests in East Texas, usually at Bannister WMA. Although we've killed a few nice bucks there over the years (and I missed getting a shot at a REALLY nice one), for me this is more about getting back to my hunting roots, as most of my earliest hunting experiences were in the "piney woods".

Over the years hunting at Bannister, we've watched feral hogs numbers increase. Although these are tons of fun to hunt, and we both really like to eat them, they are really destructive to the native habitat, both plants and animals. So we take extra pleasure in removing these guys from the population any chance we get.

This year, I was sitting on stand when 5 hogs burst from the underbrush (spooked by something). Only one gave me a shot, a big sow. I had to contort around and find a hole in the brush, and consequently didn't manage a solid cheek weld on my rifle and my scope gave me a bit of kiss on the forehead when I sent a 300 grain A-frame on its way from my 9.3x74R Encore. The bullet must have clipped a twig en route, because the entry hole was a neat keyhole rather a clean .366 diameter circle, but at only 25 yards, it was a complete pass through and she piled up after a 30 yard dash back into the brush. I'd estimate her live weight at around 250 pounds - I quartered her out and packed the meat out on my back rather than drag her the 1 1/4 miles back to the nearest road. Now I just have to find somebody locally that can make me some tamales!

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a big old sow. My wife makes tamales but will only do it every other year or so because it's so much work. Last hog I shot was with my 9.3X74R, they don't go farSmiler

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congradulations on the big sow. Looks like you also have some nice wood on your Encore.

Posts: 3061 | Registered: 06 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
the wood on that encore is "exhibition grade" black walnt with mesquite forearm and grip caps from Bullberry.

Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Nice hog there Troy, well done.

Posts: 3295 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great looking hog. Is that a scope cut on your forehead?

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Thanks for helping control the pest population!

Nice sow!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JIm Yackley:
That is a great looking hog. Is that a scope cut on your forehead?

Yeah, I had to contort a bit to find a hole in the brush, so wasn't able to get a solid cheek weld . . . so the 9.3 came back to get me LOL

Brackettville, TX

one of us
posted Hide Post
Carnitas Big Grin less work than tamales Big Grin

My oldest daughter makes killer tamales, but she only does it at Christmas

Great pig

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're a long way from East Texas, where is Bannister? I used to hunt around Kilgore when my daughter lived there

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
Bannister WMA is east of Lufkin and north of Sam Rayburn Reservoir.

When we lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, it was only a 3.5 hour drive away. Now that we live out west of San Antonio, its more like 8-9 hours. But my father-in-law lives in NW Houston, so we go after visiting him.

Brackettville, TX

one of us
posted Hide Post
You aren't far from Del Rio, shouldn't have any trouble finding some one to make tamales there Big Grin

Theodore Roosevelt