New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako TRG
 Login/Join

<Bill>
posted
Does the Sako TRG use a model 75 action, or is it the same as the Tikka?

Thanks

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

<Vasa>
posted
Bill;

The Sako TRG does not use the Mod 75 action. Instead it uses a "heavier", more solid action very suitable for big cartridges such as the big W'bys and the .338 Lapua Magnum. The TRG comes in two versions - or actually three. First the TRG-S,which is the Sporter version that you see Lazzaroni use. Then there is the TRG-22 and the TRG-42. Both are heavy sniper rifles with a heavy, long actions,small ejection ports, very stiff. The 22 is offered in mainly .308Win., the 42 in .338LM, .300WinMag, etc. All TRGs have 3 locking lugs and cone shaped boltface. As target or sniper rifles, the TRG-22 and -42 do not take the backseat to any similar rifle anywhere in the world. They are superb rifles. The only thing I do not like about the TRG-S is the clip magazine that I have found not being totally foolproof. The 22:s and 42:s have excellent clips. They can also be had with a very nice quick detachable scope mount and iron (back-up) sights, as well as standard bipod.

The Mod 75 is different, comes in several action lengths, and many calibers, and is an all-out hunting rifle. It too, as a production hunting rifle, does not take a back seat to anything produced, anywhere.

The Tikka rifle used to be produced in a separate factory and a different town, but it is now under the same roof as the Sako. The Tikkas have a very stiff, taget grade action, produces good accuracy right out of the box, and is fairly inexpensive. Both Sakos and Tikkas up till now (except for some Mauser actioned Sakos in the -50s) are "push feed".
Supposedly, Sako is now starting to produce a controlled feed Safari rifle (see other sites on this forum). The "old" Sako Safari (push feed) was also a very nice rifle.

You cannot go wrong with any of these rifles. I have personally visited the Sako factory twice and seen these fine rifles being made.

Vasa

<R. A. Berry>
posted
The Sako TRG. That TRG stands for TRansGression against Good Rifle design, or something like that.

I owned one briefly, but after taking it out of the stock and seeing that it had no recoil lug on the action at all, I nearly fainted. Traded that one in really quick. It was a 30-378 anyway.

Also, you are stuck with finding suitable rings to fit the silly Sako integral bases, that are half hearted attempts at being a Ruger or CZ/BRNO base. These latter two can handle anything.

The TRG is the Sako TRansGression against common sense. It is just a Cheap pushfeed with a capital C. Free speech. Now somebody deny the truth of the above if you can. Please.

------------------
Rifles And Bullets r us: RAB

<Bill>
posted
Thanks for the info guys

<AKI>
posted
Well RAB. Some faint for nothing , others don�t want to pay more than necessary. A third group is proud of shit if they just paid enough for it.

The TRG I tried in 338 Lapua was very accurate. Lug or no lug, it was impressive. AKI

one of us
posted Hide Post
As previously alluded to the Sako TRG-S hunting rifle if this is what you are talking about has niether the Sako 75 nor the Tikka action. It has a push feed three lug cone to breech action with an in line feeding clip. I too almost sh** when I took one out of the stock and saw it had no recoil lug but a slot cut into the bottom of the action and a steel insert moulded into the stock to act as a lug. But this is after I had bought it with plans on rebarreling. I went ahead with a 27" fluted barrel in 300RUM. After 800 rounds I have had no problems with the action, Sako factory mounts or recoil lug system and shoots sub half MOA with my best hand loads for hunting. The Finns might know something I guess.

------------------
Growler

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Vasa>
posted
Agree with you AKI. Some people are proud of shit if they just paid enough for it. Take for example a push feed,"accurized" Remington with its marvelous scope mounting system, all for big bucks. I asked my gunsmith (who was not trained in North America) why all the gunsmiths love the Remington. He said it was because it keeps them busy, and these rifles all need work and are easy to work on. Go figure. A transgressing good rifle design, I guess, and a matter of free speech.
It takes a while for some people to see the light.

Vasa

<R. A. Berry>
posted
AKI and growler:
Yes, TRG-S, that is what I meant: TRansGreSsion

The little flange molded into the plastic stock and abutting against a little nubbin on the bottom of the action: not my cup of shit, er, uh, tea! Not my cup of tea!

Even though my TRG-S in 30-378 shot well enough, I just couldn't stomach that TRansGreSsion.

Vasa: et tu Brute? Forgive me my transgression as we forgive those who transgress in rifle action designing. After all, it was only a ploy to make the rifle at a lesser cost, just like the pushfeed M-70 now reverted back to CRF.

------------------
Rifles And Bullets r us: RAB

[This message has been edited by R. A. Berry (edited 11-10-2001).]

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I own one of these in 30-378. I think I paid about $600 brand new. It's a smooth action and I have no complaints except it is an average shooter at best. It doesn't like heavy bullets. The bullet of choice has been the 150 barnes xlc at 3700 fps. PLUS even though the gunsmith scoped the barrel and found it smooth, it doesn't shoot till its fouled with about 10 rounds. Then it will shoot 4" groups at 300 yds which is average at best. This is not the caliber you want to be "fouling" with 10 shots in 70-80 degree weather before a hunting trip!!
Someone wage a magic wand over it and have it turn into a remingtion 300 rum!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The TRG is certainly not a "traditionalist's" rifle, but on the other hand, all I have owned are quite good shooters.

The bolt is far and away the smoothest I have ever seen on any bolt action rifle. Just raise the handle 60 degrees and tilt the muzzle slightly upward from level and the bolt will slide itself to the fully rearward position like it was rolling on ball bearings.

The bedding system is not what I would design, but you can't argue that it works, and seems to work well. All three of mine are exceedingly accurate, and the .375 H & H is extraordinary in that department.

As for the scope mounting system, it is traditional Sako dovetail, a system they have been using for over 40 years and which is hell-for-stout. If R.A. doesn't like it, that's a matter of personal choice, but the dovetails never fail like screwed-on bases can.

I've never been a fan of detachable magazines, but the 995's (TRG-s) feed perfectly and I have a total of five among 3 guns (chambered for similar belted cases), so I have plenty of interchangable spares. Carrying a loaded magazine in your pocket is just about the fastest reloading available, and I have been in circumstances where more than the first 5 shots are legitimately needed.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that the bedding system on the TRG is ridiculous, however I have well over a thousand rounds through my 375 H&H and it has handled it fine. I have a 450 Ackley built on the same action but had a recoil lug welded to action and the barrel.

By the way I guess I have sighted in 6 or 7 for others and find them to be very accurate, such as 5/8 inch group at 100 yds.

Posts: 1859 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Yeah Mike & I built it for you bud. How the hell are you! Come see me some time. I'm real glade to see you on this board!

& they need barrel lugs in these big calibers too. Mike i figured another way to address the lug system problem on these otherwise fine rifles. I use one of those thick recoil lugs from Brownells for the Rem-700 & sandwich it between the barrel & receiver just like on the Remington & it works fine.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 11-12-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote