New
Find
Notify
Tools

What bullet for whitetail in .44mag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This year MS is allowing us to use single shot rifles of a pre 1900 model, with any bullet .38 cal., or larger during the primitive weapon season. I was thinking about getting my son an H&R 1871 in .44 mag.

What is a good bullet weight, and type to shoot whitetail deer (185gr, 240gr, hollow point , soft point)?

Buck,

Posts: 109 | Location: MS | Registered: 25 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes for either the 240 or 300 grain Hornady XTP. I have used this bullet for years with great success.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 210gr Speer Gold Dot HP or a 200gr Hornady XTP HP would do just fine. Deer are not that tough and you want something which expands quickly and has good weight retention for some penetration.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with the above post that suggest the 200gr Hornady XTP and for the reasons as posted. No need for mega weight bullets on whitetail deer.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A nice chunk of soft cast lead with a flat nose will more than suffice.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with the hornady 240 grain XTP.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys.

Looks like eather the 200, or 240 XTP.

Buck,

One of Us
Picture of DrWatson69
posted Hide Post
another vote for Hornady XTP

Posts: 66 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Buck, I've also killed a bunch of them with the 240gr XTP, but never managed to get an Exit.

Every Deer dropped where it stood, which is astounding to me, but not a single Exit. Doesn't make good sense to complain about a Bullet which worked so well for me. but I still want Exits where I hunt.

Maybe I was just too close and the velocity to high at Impact. All the recovered Bullets would have made great pictures for Hornady advertising. They all doubled in size and I had no Core separations - but NO EXITS!
---

Did anyone else using a 240gr XTP get an Exit? If you did, what path did the Bullet take through the Deer?

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes for the 270gr Speer.

Posts: 36 | Location: Little Rock, Ar | Registered: 19 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buck3:
This year MS is allowing us to use single shot rifles of a pre 1900 model, with any bullet .38 cal., or larger during the primitive weapon season. I was thinking about getting my son an H&R 1871 in .44 mag.

What is a good bullet weight, and type to shoot whitetail deer (185gr, 240gr, hollow point , soft point)?

Buck,
It would seem logical for your state to require one use a rifle made prior to 1900 like old Winchesters,Marlins,Remington Rolling Blocks,Sharps,etc and period ammunition such as 44-40,45-70,32-40,45-90,etc?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded up some 240gr. XTP's for a friends 44 mag lever gun to use on whitetail does, works fine, everything pretty much DRT. The 250gr. Nosler Partitions work better if you value complete penitration, hell of an exit hole, lots of blood, everything DRT. The advantage would be if you muffed the shot a bit or took a less than clean angle. The Partitions will work on elk out of a revolver so they should have no problems at any angle with any deer at reasonable ranges.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
scr83jp, I don’t disagree. I will be using a Sharps 45-70 (with no scope). The .44 mag. is for my 8 year old son.

I think the whole primitive weapon season has become a joke. The muzzle loaders of today nether look or function like the muzzle loaders of 150 years ago. We can now use any type scopes, stainless, composite stocks, pills instead of powder. The pre 1900 single shots are closer to true primitive weapons than the muzzle loaders of today.

Buck,

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Buck, I've also killed a bunch of them with the 240gr XTP, but never managed to get an Exit.

Every Deer dropped where it stood, which is astounding to me, but not a single Exit. Doesn't make good sense to complain about a Bullet which worked so well for me. but I still want Exits where I hunt.

Maybe I was just too close and the velocity to high at Impact. All the recovered Bullets would have made great pictures for Hornady advertising. They all doubled in size and I had no Core separations - but NO EXITS!

---

Did anyone else using a 240gr XTP get an Exit? If you did, what path did the Bullet take through the Deer?

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills.

Hot Core may I ask how far the shots were. I have shot many Deer using the 240gr XTP with a sabot out of my Knight MK85 54cal using 80grains of Pyro RS. My shots were from 10 feet up to 100 yards most of them within 25 yards and they all went through and made a nice exit hole. They all have been broadside shots. I have since bought a TC Encore in 50cal but have not taken a deer with it yet.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Swede, I'd guess the closest shot(at a previously un-shot Deer) was 14ft and the longest "maybe" 75yds-90yds. Some were from a Revolver and some from a Contender Carbine.

I can certainly understand the close ones not making an Exit. And perhaps I was always into a shoulder when the shot was out aways. Hard to remember all the kills, but easy to remember - no Exits.

Were your shots Ribs-to-Ribs?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Swede, I'd guess the closest shot(at a previously un-shot Deer) was 14ft and the longest "maybe" 75yds-90yds. Some were from a Revolver and some from a Contender Carbine.

I can certainly understand the close ones not making an Exit. And perhaps I was always into a shoulder when the shot was out aways. Hard to remember all the kills, but easy to remember - no Exits.

Were your shots Ribs-to-Ribs?

I shoot behind the shoulder through the ribs that may be the reasons I always have pass through. I must say from what I have read that a shoulder shot is probly a better shot, a no track shot (they don't run very far if at all). You might consider the XTP Mag bullets for shoulder shots they don't expand as much due to a thicker jacket and you “might†get a pass through. I guess it will depend on the size of the deer being shot more body mass to stop the bullet.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It has been a few years since I killed a deer with a 44 mag., but I always preferred either 240 grain Hornady Soft Points, or Cast lead 245 grain Lyman Mould #429421 "Keith-style" bullets. I was always concerned with excessive meat destruction with the lighter grain weights and the HP's of any weight. I am a firm believer in heart/lung shots on anything I hunt, but will take a shoulder shot if necessary. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of deer with a Ruger 44 mag Deerstalker, the old original one.
Back then 240 b ullets were all that was avialable.

For deer, I till think a 240 gr is the best choice, either a SP or a Hollow Point.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:

They usually exit when fired ontop of 100 grains of Pyrodex.

I'd try and limit my yardage to a max of 100 when using the 240 at 44mag speeds. They are about as aerodynamic as a brick and lose velocity quickly.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
quote:

They usually exit when fired ontop of 100 grains of Pyrodex...
Hey Reloader, On the ones that made an Exit, where did you hit them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 250 grain Nosler Partition. They almost always exit. Another one I like and have used in both pistol and Muzzle loader is the 300 Grain Hornady XTP. That one will always exit on a pretty straight path.

Posts: 131 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Reloader, On the ones that made an Exit, where did you hit them?

HotCore, I'm a lung shooter so I guess I never really put them to the test. Maybe the meat of the shoulder at times.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote