New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I like Remington 700's!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay, and sledder, I really didn't start here with the intent to piss in anyones cornflakes. Or Remingtons POS Big Grin trigger for that matter. Just don't like being referred to as "Chuck Nelson" in every other sentence in such a condescending manner. Just reporting an incident.

My father has hunted with a 700 in 7MM rem mag for well over 30yrs and just last week took his umteenth Elk with the thing quite handily. Despite it's trigger dancing

Sledder, if you want to chat about that pack, PM me your number and I'll give you a call.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington's, well, they leave so much to be desired.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
Didn't jump in this thread to slam Remmy's. I've seen them rusted up and not functioning after being stored and not maintain after hunting season. Lots of humidity and salt in the air up here around the ocean. If someone comes up here and hunt once in a while, it may not be a factor. It's for the Remmies that is exposed to the maritime environment 365 days a year, year after year. Like I said before, I have nothing against Remmies and I am talking about Joe Smoe, not a Marine sniper who maintains his rifle. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feeling. Saying something about someone's brand of rifle always seems to hurt their feeling.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So Hardballer tell us what rifle that isn't stainless and not cared for properly will do well in that environment?

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Johnson:
So Hardballer tell us what rifle that isn't stainless and not cared for properly will do well in that environment?
Jay, may be "do well" is not the right choice of wording but "better" is. I have not seen as much trouble with the M-70 type triggers as the 700's. Bought anymore lotto tickets? That will increase your odds you know.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
The 700 and its predecessor's were designed for cheap and easy manufacture to sell at a low price-point to the burgeoning ranks of BG hunters after WWII. They generally work well. While an "OK" design, for me they're best as a platform for a super-light mountain rifle's, varminter's or paper puncher's. For me the 700 need's a good three position safety but Remington finally saw the light and have a new trigger group coming in 2007 to replace the current abortion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
The 700 and its predecessor's were designed for cheap and easy manufacture to sell at a low price-point to the burgeoning ranks of BG hunters after WWII. They generally work well. While an "OK" design, for me they're best as a platform for a super-light mountain rifle's, varminter's or paper puncher's. For me the 700 need's a good three position safety but Remington finally saw the light and have a new trigger group coming in 2007 to replace the current abortion.

The 700 trigger is much more costly to produce than the Model 70. Incidentally, the Remington design has been copied more than the Model 70s.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW I've owned a load of rifles and quite a few Remington 700's. The things are just simple and they work. At present I own 2 that have after market stocks, good bedding, and triggers adjusted to 2.5 pounds otherwise they are stock. They both shoot nicely but the '06 consistently shoots a 165 TSX into .4-.5 inches for 3 shots wit ha max charge of R-19. My other factory rifles just don't do this and in fact my custom rifles struggle to come close. Maybe I've been lucky but my experience with 700's has been only positive regardless of hunt conditions.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12926 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I agree w/ you Mark.

I've owned a pile of rifles myself and I can honestly say that I have never owned a Model 700 that didn't shoot, every model 700 I've ever owned shot less than MOA and some considerably less.

I do minor smithing (trigger work, stock work, cleaning, bedding, etc) and custom loading on rifles on the side just for a hobby. I love to tinker w/ rifles and make them shoot, sure makes the owners happy when they see their groups cut in half. That said, I can honestly tell you that I've never had a problem w/ a 700 and none have ever failed to be accurate. I've worked on inaccurate M70s, inaccurate Savages, inaccurate Weatherbies, etc. but, never a M700. Maybe My shooting buddies, the guys whom rifles I've worked on and myself are just extremely lucky Big Grin I think not, once you get repeat perfromance that many times, you realize there's alittle more to it than luck.

The M700 has been king for years at every range around here and they will remain king for many more. I'm not saying they are the best and everyone must like them but, they are the #1 selling bolt action in the world and still fill the bags at Benchrest matches every day. I don't think they got there by just pure luck Big Grin

Ya'll have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 700 trigger is much more costly to produce than the Model 70. Incidentally, the Remington design has been copied more than the Model 70s.

Maybe the trigger is more costly by ten or twenty cents but it's still a POS as verified by its designer, Mike Walker. The M70 is a copy of a Mauser 98, the world's most copied rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
quote:

Maybe the trigger is more costly by ten or twenty cents but it's still a POS as verified by its designer, Mike Walker. The M70 is a copy of a Mauser 98, the world's most copied rifle.

The M70 is a copy of the 98? It is a much better action than that.

I would like to see the comments Mike Walker makes; a google search references an antigun-supported lawsuit that contains "carefully selected text from Mike Walker's original patent." So what are you talking about?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would seem to me that if you were hunting in conditions that a trigger could possibly "freeze" a little WD40 would take care of that real quick. For the people who dont know what WD40 stands for its "Water displacing".

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually if you strip the rifle totally of lube in cold weather and use graphite instead. You'll reduce your chances of freeze up greatly. Running a rifle in and out of a hot car and into the cold causes plenty of problems also.

Mike Walkers name gets thrown around alot. 99% of the time he's used out of context. It started with Jack Belk and his half assed arguments on the net.