New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I like Remington 700's!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Why I like Remington 700's - reason number 24!
In the past few weeks I have had occassion to sight-in verify, 4 of my Remington 700 Big Game Rifles.
Now, I shoot Remington (and Sako's, customs, Weatherby's, Rugers, Winchesters and many other brands!) 700 Varmint Rifles all year long. So I get my "practice", to say the least, its virtually year round!
But my Big Game Rifles usually "sit" a lot more than they are carried or shot!
Once I get a good load with a bullet of my choosing for those Big Game Rifles its range sessions are thereafter usually limited to sight-in verifications.
Anyway all four of the Remington 700's which I have recently reverified their P.O.I.'s, needed NO adjustments from last years sight-ins!
These Remington Rifles include my main Elk/Bear Rifle which is a Remington 700 Classic in 7mm Remington Magnum, my back-up Antelope Rifle which is a Remington 700 VLS in 260 Remington, my sons (he's away in college) favorite Deer Rifle - a Remington 700 SS/DBM in 25/06 and the fourth is my main go to Antelope/Mule Deer/Whitetail Rifle which is a Remington 700 Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester!
In fact I checked this last Rifle's P.O.I. TWICE in the last month.
The reason for this being I used it on a rough and tumble Antelope Hunt that included some "handling" by my partner who is a 6"4" giant, clumsy, humanoid Ape of a person! And then I had the Sendero along on an opening day Mule Deer Hunt that had horrific weather and road conditions that mandated travel only by ATV and when on foot, gumboed ground induced falls were constant!
This morning I decided to "double check" the Sendero and it was still dead on!
I do "torque" my Remingtons to specific inch/pounds settings and take care to clean and dry them after useages.
My Remington 700 Classic in caliber 7mm Remington Magnum first saw use on Big Game in 1995. I have used the same load and bullet (Nosler 160 gr. Partitions) since day one with this Rifle.
I honestly can't recall having to adjust the scope but one time, since its initial setting 11 years ago! That adjustment came after I was stuck on a mountain while Hunting Spring Bear. The reason we were stuck was because of a downpour of a rainstorm that had us planning to build an ark!
It rained on us for 5 hours HARD before we had to begin hiking down the mountain to the trailhead while we still had daylight! The hike down took 2 hours and we (and our equipment) were soaked already by the time we started down.
Once home I decided to completely disassemble the wet and muddy Classic. And then to dry it with compressed air and repeated cleansings with solvents and oils.
After two months I re-assembled the Rifle, re-torqued it and headed for the range. I did re-adjust the scope on that occassion but by fall of that year when I next checked its P.O.I. there was no further need for adjustment.
Just thought I would pass along "another" reason why I like Remington 700's for Big Game Hunting.
Long live Big Green!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmintguy-
I am not particularly loyal to any brand, I like what shoots.

If you were to recommend a .223 to someone that would use it for prairie dogs and other varmints - how would you set up your .223?

Thanks

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 700 because it is accurate, reliable, good looking and has a good trigger that is easily adjusted. But I feel a rifles ability to maintain zero has a lot to do with how it is bedded and how well the stock is sealed. That said I have two Remington 700 rifles, one with a synthetic stock and another stocked in wood. The wood stocked rifle has the skinny forearm common in the earluy 70's rifles and it has been carefully sealed and bedded with black automotive silicon. No POI change yet. I like a rifle that needs nothing more than the oil removed from the bore with one patch to print it's first shot exactly where it is supposed to be. Both my 700's do this.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat: I currently have 8 guns in caliber 223 Remington that are used exclusively for Varminting.
I have Hunted Prairie Dogs, Rock Chucks, Ground Squirrels, Crows, Magpies, Skunks, Coyotes, Fox, Porcupines, feral cats, Weasels, Badgers and many other Varmints with them.
If you are interested in ONE Rifle in 223 Remington for a multitude of Varminting uses and an emphasis on Prairie Dogs - then I would set it up thusly!
I would definitely go with a heavy, long barrel (24" minimum!). Blued finish is fine and I have a couple of stainless barrellled 223's in my safes.
The trigger is a key feature! I like the Remingtons 700's excellent and easily adjustable trigger.
I prefer them to be set 2 pounds 8 ounces for all around Varminting.
Say you go with the Remington 700 VLS (Varmint Laminated Stock Model!). I would use a Leupold one piece base and Leupold medium rings (both in matte finish) then I would mount up a high quality higher powered variable scope in 4x16 to 6x24 power!
I personally prefer Leupolds 6.5x20x40mm's.
I have various brands of scopes on my 223's made by Burris, Leupold, Sightron, Weaver and Nikon.
Nikon has a new 6x18 powered variable that is looking real good to me and I have a bid in on one to one of my wholesaler friends.
Be sure to have the trigger set to a repeatable and consistent 2 pounds 8 ounces!
Two of my favorite bullets in my 223's are the Sierra 50 gr Blitz (not the BlitzKing!) and the Nosler 50 and 55 gr. Ballistic Tips! If you can get any of those three to shoot well in your 223 then you ARE "set up"!
Best of luck in your pursuit of a 223 Varminter!
Don't hesitate to reask if you need more opinion!
My last two 223's that I set up were done just this year and one was a Remington XR-100 (single shot with a thumbhole laminated stock) and the other was a Ruger Model 77 V/T.
Both shoot VERY well and I heartily would recommend either of them to you if you took a liking to their styling!
Again best of luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
The Model 700's are hard to beat. As I have owened seven of them and never had and problems with them what so ever. And I did shoot out the barrel of a 7mm Rem Mag. after 3000 plus shots.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brother I'm with you on the Remmy 700. I have one bought in '74 that was built into a custom .300 Jarrett a decade or so ago. I finally shot the barrel out, and it is now a .358 STA. That rifle has never failed me in any way. I'll own it when I die. I bought a stainless Safari in .458 Win mag this summer. It is a winner too.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Not that I care.... but you better whatch it when shooting magpies. Wink Why would you shoot a weasle? They kill varmints.

I've had much the same luck with my 700's. Mine take many trips around the country in airplanes and I've yet to have to adjust a single one once I get to my destination. My favorite rifle is a SS 7mag in BDL. I mounted a 3x9-40 Vari x 2 on it in one piece lupy mounts the day I bought it, 14 years ago can't say that I've ever had to move it since either... much like you I've only shot one load out of until this last year, but the new load shot same POI which was a little scarry...

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The thing I like about 700's are the ease of adjusting the triggers and the round action. That round action is easier for me to bed. But I've had some problems with Remington's a few times and it's kinda soured me. I'm not particulary loyal to any bread either. I find that all rifles can be made to shoot if they have a good barrel and are well chambered. If wood stocks are well sealed they warp less than un-sealed and POI seems to change more because of scope and/or mount problems than anything to do with the rifle. My next rifle will be a Savage, I've never owned one myself, at least not a centerfire.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan: Ivan "I" kill Varmints!
And I have not given permission for Weasels to kill Varmints!
I shoot Weasels for the same plethora of reasons I shoot any Varmint.
I only shoot Magpies in locales where it is legal or the Gamies refuse to prosecute it.
Magpies, by the way, are THE number one Game Bird, nest destroyers - just ahead of Crows!
Weasels are on Montana's official list of "Varmints" and can be taken by any means and any time of day or night!
The main reason I shoot them is because they make a living raiding Game Bird and Wild Turkey nests - egg suckers supreme, in other words!
I think I shot three of them this spring and summer with my Varmint Rifles. I also "coached" two of my friends as they "concentrated fire" on Weasels that were indeed scouring our Ground Squirrel fields for carrion and/or live Gophers!
The coaching is required for the novice Weasel shooters as the Weasels only stay stationary for an instant at a time! I call the shots impacts for them and give advice.
By the way Weasels are fearless and even bullets smashing into the ground near them often does not interrupt their Hunting!
I have, several times, killt them (Weasels) with shotguns while I have been afield Grouse Hunting!
Again - shoot a Weasel, save a lot of Game Birds!
I am quite certain that is why Montana lists them as Varmints instead of Furbearers like some states.
Weasels ARE a very worthy Varmint Trophy!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, you guys who like the trigger because it's easy to adjust, are you talking about rifles you've purchased recently? I bough a 700XCR earlier this year and there's no external adjustment on the trigger and the owner's manual says not to do it. The pull as set at the factory was pretty stiff and I paid a gunsmith to adjust it for me.

VG - I think not adjusting the scope in 11 years says as much about the scope as the rifle - what kind of scope is it?

Posts: 66 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that about the weasels. I thought thier main food was mice, gophers and other little critters. Now I don't feel so bad about whacking a few of them over the years.

Like I said I could care less about magpies, but aren't they federaly protected? I thought the only 'non game' birds you could shoot were crows and starlings. Man I love 'lighting up' a flock of starlings with a heavy dose of #8 shot in a 12ga. Big Grin

I have another Remy rifle that logged about 25,000 miles and 6-7 trips in the air the last few years and it still prints the same spot it did 3 years ago.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t have any brand loyalty either, but most of my current bolt action rifles are Rem700’s. I have never experienced the problems mentioned on this forum, like broken extractors, welded bolt handles coming off, failure to feed due to “push feed†design, or trigger malfunctions. They have been consistently the most accurate rifles I have owned. I have never had one that I could not get to shoot well. All of my Rem700’s are older guns, and all of them have been modified in one way or another. Mostly just a trigger job, or trigger replacement, a few have HS Precision stocks and/or have been re-barreled. I have taken them on many hunting trips in the US, and a few to AK and Africa, including several hunts for dangerous game. They have never let me down.

I have heard that Remington’s quality control has gone downhill in the last few years. I don’t know if that’s true or not. I probably wouldn’t buy a new one. Used Rem700’s are readily available, inexpensive and easy to modify. In any case, my next rifle will probably be a CZ-550.

~Chris

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McInnis: The scope on my Remington Model 700 Classic in 7mm Remington Magnum is a Leupold VX-III variable, in power range of 3.5x10.
Love this rig!

Ivan: Weasels sniff out and eat most anything with protein in it - one of my reference books makes note that "North American Weasels eat small animals, birds, eggs, grasshoppers and any other living flesh it can secure". "Weasels eat no vegetable matter".
I personally have seen Weasels kill Cottontailed Rabbits and one of the reference books scientists observed an Ermine (the white winter pelage phase of the Weasel) pursue and kill a Cottontail. Another scientist documents one Weasel killing 40 chickens in one night and sucking blood and eggs at the scene!
Another "egg sucker" (eater?) is the American Mink! It also is completely carnivorous and eats no vegetation.
Dittoes for the probably even more destructive (to nesting birds) Skunks.
The American Marten as well is a bird nest robber (for the young birds or the eggs).
Of course Martens and Minks are considered Furbearers in most places and can only be harvested by trapping.
I have taken my share of Starlings as well!
I used to have a roosting tree for Starlings near my boyhood home!
I would gather pop and beer bottles to sell for their deposit money. Then I could buy 22 LR ammo for my Starling Rifle! Later, I to discovered the more "efficient" method you enjoy - using a 12 gauge with fine shot! I know I killt 25 Starlings once in a three shot fusilade into a dense flock!
Unfortunately Starlings are bird nest stealers and bird nest robbers as well.
Keep after'em!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Only one old 722 (.257Rob) for me that's a pretty good shooter. I've no particular brand loyalty as I have Ruger, Winchester, CZ, VZ, Marlin, Browning & the 1 lone Remington. The very first rifle I ever owned (and still do) is a Win. Mdl. 70 30-06 with a Redfield scope on it that I mounted 34 years ago. It hasn't been adjusted since and still gets used occasionally when the urge hits me to get nostalgic.

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they leave a lot to be desired (the 700), and last week my brother had the trigger of his freeze completely 75yds from a 175 class Bighorn ram. That sucks! In fact, out of four guys on the mountain that miserable day two carrying 700's, one an A-Bolt, and me a model 70, the model 70 was the only rifle that remained completely functional. All the varmint accuracy in the world means nothing if you can't drop the pin on a primer.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmint guy - thanks for the response. I sent a PM. I am in the process of doing what you suggest and will advise/ask for ideas when I get farther along. THanks

PS - As per other posters, I am not brand loyal, I only care about accuracy.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I only care about accuracy.

That statement doesn't suprise me, but it absolutely floors me!

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me and for what I look for in a hunting rig accuracy is one of the spokes of the wheel, but for me there are a few other spokes as well.

Mark D

Good to see you're above ground CN!

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats funny about the M700. I spent from the 16th of october to the 26th hunting big horn sheep and ended up killing a ram with a piece of shit M700. We hunted in subzero temps and had either ran or snow every day but one. Never a glitch with the rifle. In fact the only rifle I've ever seen freeze and fail to fire is a M70 supergrade.And the guy carrying it,couldn't take a piss without getting it down the front of him.

I hunt every year in areas that are as rough as any in the world and have yet to freeze up a rifle. And I use M700's almost exclusively. Only on the internet can you find so many supposed problems with the M700.

One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
You've lucked out. That's what they would call it in Vegas or the horse track. One incidence does not tell you all the odds. I've seen more problems up here with the Remington box triggers than say the M-70's simple triggers. I do own several Rem's and they are good shooting, but their triggers are more prone to problems of rusting and freezing, etc.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well sledder, thems the facts internet or not and I'm just passing them along. A definate congrats on the Ram too. I hunt 700's as well and in fact here is my wife and this years MD taken quite handily with a Remington 700.

Accuracy is a part of the equation but not the only part. Not by a long shot, and any rifle that I hunt with is built with tough conditions in mind. The one below is my favorite.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well now... in somewhat of a defense of Remington triggers - first off, I keep mine clean, and if they get wet or near salt water I cleanse them and dry them properly then lubricate them properly.
I have never had one fail!
It comes to my mind that I was using my Remington 700 on a trip in SW Montana back in 1987 I believe it was. That mid November the mercury hit 43 degrees below zero! Thats 75 degrees colder than just plain freezing - OK!
And my 700's trigger worked better than my toothpaste (it froze solid!) and my truck (it wouldn't start!) and our beer (it exploded whilst inside a cooler!).
Those few profoundly cold days set all time record lows for any day in November - trigger pulled, Rifle banged!
Since moving to Montana nearly 10 years ago I find myself getting up in the middle of the night and venturing out in January and February to go stand calling Coyotes. Many times I Hunt all night with spotlights and repeatedly get in and out of my hot and humid truck to go sit on stand with my various Remington 700 "calling Rifles". Often its well below zero outside and 80 degrees inside my truck!
If anything were to cause a trigger to freeze it would be this type activity - again no failures yet!
Equipment of all types often fails on these ventures but my 700's triggers haven't "froze up" or failed to fire, as yet!
Maybe I am, what they call in Vegas "lucky" but I tend to think my Remington 700 triggers over the DECADES have had maybe 800 to 1,000 chances to freeze up and they haven't yet!
Knock on wood (my forehead!).

Chuck Nelson: Send congrats your wifes way on the nifty Mule Deer!
And I highly recommend you tell your brother to change his cleaning regimen on his 700's!
Something is wrong there!
I SPECIFICALLY chose my latest Remington 700 (a Remington Sendero in 270 Winchester) for its accuracy, reliability and ruggedness!
It (and about 60 other Remington 700's I have owned) have not failed me yet! And based on my decades of experience with them I don't anticipate any failures in the future.
Like someone mentioned above I hear of more Remington failures on the internet than I see in person!
I spend a LOT of time in Gunstores, Gunsmith Shops, at Gunshows, at sportsmens shows, at Rifle ranges, in hock shops and again I Hunt virtually year round!
The troubles I have seen with both factory and custom Rifles run the gamut of ills caused by poor quality control and human errors to poor design in the first place. As many 700's as there are out there I think overall they hold up pretty well. They are strong and simple and made of good steel!
I once got a registered letter from the good folks at Remington - I believe the year was 1989 or 1990. The letter explained to me how the quality control folks at Remington were "worried" that a tiny piece of steel in my then new Remington 700 PSS's trigger had been tested for hardness with a tool that "MAY" have been out of calibration! They wanted me to pack the Rifle up at their expense and ship it to them for the installation of a new (properly tested) trigger.
We "resolved" the trigger issue to my satisfaction.
The original trigger had functioned perfectly for me but that particular Rifle had not as yet been subjected to below zero Hunting conditions. It has since though and passed with flying colors.
I did not intend for this thread to become a controversial one but if it does, thats OK with me. I have defended the Remington 700's before and won't hesitate to do so again if I deem it necessary.
I have a close friend here in Montana who used a Remington 700 Rifle to Hunt not only in Alberta, British Columbia and the Yukon but he also Hunted all over Alaska, Montana and Wyoming with it. He still uses that Rifle as a back up and for his college age sons use when he is home from college each late November to Hunt Deer and Elk. No freeze-ups reported from either of them during 30+ years of use by the two of them.
I could go on and on with anecdotal evidence and first hand reports but I rely most heavily on my own extensive useages for my confidence in the Remington 700!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Remingtons since 1973 and yet to have a problem with one? If they are that big a piece of shit of the several I own why no problems? Don't call my lucky I haven't won the Lotto yet.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
Definitely not a piece of shit. Just requires more maintenance. Not every hunter is like the VG. Hell you'll be lucky to get half of them to sight in their rifles before hunting season. What I am talking about is Joe Smoe. I guarantee you that 99 out of 100 of them never take the time to keep the trigger clean, until it won't go click. And then they'll take it to a smith.
VG...you're what they would call a card counter, you stack the odds on your side.
Jay.. you're not buying enough lotto tickets. The more tickets you buy the better you're odds are. Simple math. Wink

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was frozen moisture that locked it up, pure and simple. Lack of maintenance had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Let's use Jay's lotto example though. Say we've got a million bucks, and it's yours if you guess correctly. We will spray a remington trigger and a model 70 trigger with water and place them both in the freezer. Which one are you going to bet freezes up? For a million, I know where I'd put my educated guess.

Also, who said the Remington was a POS?

Chuck

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I've seen 3 rifles freeze up. 2 were M700's and one was a M77. The conditions were the same, 20-25ish degree's and snowing. Two happened at the same time, one M700 and my fairly new M77. Talk about heart break for a 13yo kid (aka me) when you have a nice 6pt bull standing broadside at 200 yards. I tried mine twice and my dad hands me his... and both rifles just go 'CLICK'...

Another time my buddies M700 BDL bolt froze up on yet another elk... Same thing 3 times... CLICK, CLICK, CLICK. I handed him my SS M700 and it went off fine.

I've never seen a 'trigger' freeze but the firing pin. I think due too much oil??? Either way my meat in the pot rifle is a SS M700 that has been on more hunts than I can count in all kinds of condions and has never had a single problem. I keep it clean and lubed properly though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a rifle of any make that you have an intimate familiarity with under a variety of conditions is really the ticket her. No suprises! Accuracy can take a back seat.

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
...my meat in the pot rifle is a SS M700 that has been on more hunts than I can count in all kinds of condions and has never had a single problem. I keep it clean and lubed properly though.
Just like millions of other satisfied Remington owners that never have any rifle problems, in any kind of weather.

There are people who will smash their fingers with a Hammer --- and blame the Hammer --- simply because they don't know how to use it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just like millions of other satisfied Remington owners that never have any rifle problems, in any kind of weather.

How can that possibly be, as at least two thirds of those rifle are rusty steel and termite food. clap

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck Nelson: You are proposing a "bogus" scenario!
If its to cold for water to be "sprayed" into or onto a Remington 700 triggers parts then your point is "bogus" - as ice cubes (or ice spray!) does not spray!
If you are saying that your Rifle got rained on and water somehow seeped into a Remington 700's trigger (or inside the bolt!) and then you either didn't clean it when you got home or it rained or snow melted or whatever and then the temperature dropped to somewhere below freezing and the Rifle would not fire, I again reiterate - change your care, cleaning and maintenance procedures!
And by the way Chuck Nelson "poor maintenance" and lack of care had EVERYTHING to do with those arms not discharging - I would bet $10.00 on that!

Ivan: I have Hunted with my Remington 700's so many many many hundreds of times at "25 - 30 degrees" and never had a failure!
Not once!
I am simply rejecting you fellows baseless (as far as I am concerned) accusations against the Remington 700's!
Even just a modicum of careful handling and/or proper maintenace would preclude any of the problems you describe.
I highly recommend you folks that decry the poor cold weather operation of the Remington 700 get a good book that covers cleaning and care of firearms and pay special attention to the section on cold weather maintenance.
End of problem!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I like Rem 700's simply because I took my first whitetail, my first muley, and my biggest whitetail ever with my first centerfire rifle (30 years ago)...a .270 Win Model 700 Rem. I don't believe the quality is what it used to be...but I still have a soft spot in my heart for the 700....even though I no longer own one.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me run this scenario by you, and if you think it is bogus your inexperience on the hill is evident. There was 2.5 feet of snow on the ground, and minus 10 degrees celcius. However, in the sun, the snow will melt. Here in southern Alberta, the wind blows and that snow on the tops of the mountains will blow through anything including you (at least it feels like it). I sat for 45 minutes that day with a spotting scope in front of me less than 100yds from 6 rams and I could not keep the ice off the front of the spotting scope to see if they were legal. The clothing I had on my back completely froze so that I could not get my coat off when I needed to redress and relayer. My rifle was completely full of ice inside and out (except the barrel which was taped), and on my way out that evening after having two other hunters blow out those rams, I helped a fourteen year old boy clear the ice from the action of his A-Bolt.

Dude, that scenario is not only plausible, it is bloody common. Waller around in waste deep snow when it is warm enough to be without a hat and gloves and watch the wind come up and the sun leave. I lost complete feeling in my hands, and my brother who was on another ridge and had those rams come right by him then discovering his trigger froze up still has the blisters on his hands to prove the same scenario.

There was water because there was ice, and like I said at least four of us where witness to it, and it aint the first time those conditions have shown themselves. Ignore it. I could care less.

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Extreme cold was not the issue here. At all.

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
Let me run this scenario by you, and if you think it is bogus your inexperience on the hill is evident. There was 2.5 feet of snow on the ground, and minus 10 degrees celcius. However, in the sun, the snow will melt. Here in southern Alberta, the wind blows and that snow on the tops of the mountains will blow through anything including you (at least it feels like it). I sat for 45 minutes that day with a spotting scope in front of me less than 100yds from 6 rams and I could not keep the ice off the front of the spotting scope to see if they were legal. The clothing I had on my back completely froze so that I could not get my coat off when I needed to redress and relayer. My rifle was completely full of ice inside and out (except the barrel which was taped), and on my way out that evening after having two other hunters blow out those rams, I helped a fourteen year old boy clear the ice from the action of his A-Bolt.

Dude, that scenario is not only plausible, it is bloody common. Waller around in waste deep snow when it is warm enough to be without a hat and gloves and watch the wind come up and the sun leave. I lost complete feeling in my hands, and my brother who was on another ridge and had those rams come right by him then discovering his trigger froze up still has the blisters on his hands to prove the same scenario.

There was water because there was ice, and like I said at least four of us where witness to it, and it aint the first time those conditions have shown themselves. Ignore it. I could care less.

Chuck

You listed a bunch of good reasons to hunt in Africa.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck Nelson: I am going to ignore it!
But I hope you take to heart my STRONG recommendation you and your chums look up, read up on and learn how to PROPERLY care for and maintain your Rifles.
Your bull headed, ignoramus like attitude is only going to get you and your ilk back in the same scenario you complain about!
It so easily could be avoided!
Its "small" of you Chuck Nelson to ignore someone with more experience and more savy than you have when they are trying to HELP you!
Ignore my learned advice at risk only of your own ignorance catching up with you - AGAIN!
I could care less if you are as stupid as you sound - but for Gawd's sake man take your head out of your ass (and ask your chums to do the same) and simply care for your Rifles correctly in the first place!
Again, Chuck Nelson, my Rifles have never failed to fire and I have Hunted from Alaska to Alberta to Utah to Wyoming to the rain forest of Washington (and Alaska) to Oregon to Montana and Idaho - in all manner of harsh and extreme conditions! I have relayed only one or two of the extreme conditions in which my properly cared for lubricated and maintained Rifles have functioned for me - without fail!
If you don't see the wisdom and the message in that then simply keep doin what'cher doin Chuck!
And wait patiently for the next problem to arise!
That, would be STUPID!
Long live Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle never failed to fire you maroon, or did you miss something?

I relayed an experience, and if you can prevent water from freezing inside remington's POS trigger mechanism power to ya. In fact, I'd like to see a picture diagram from you on how to do just that.

Pictured below is how a real trigger looks in case you were wondering.

I'm done talking to you, as you are as reasonable as a fence post to talk to.

Hold into your wind.

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Chuck, you're arguing with a child... the man's not going to let facts get in the way! Razzer

Brad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
My rifle never failed to fire you maroon, or did you miss something?

I relayed an experience, and if you can prevent water from freezing inside remington's POS trigger mechanism power to ya. In fact, I'd like to see a picture diagram from you on how to do just that.

Pictured below is how a real trigger looks in case you were wondering.

I'm done talking to you, as you are as reasonable as a fence post to talk to.

Hold into your wind.

Chuck

Well Chuck I've been using the trigger in question in your post since 1973 on several rifles with no failures? A picture of a trigger isn't going to show you if it will fail or not. But years of trouble free experience leads me to believe that perhaps you're just a little prejudice.

Nice stainless Remchester to bad with all those good triggers they couldn’t cut it in the gun business. Oh just to let you know I also own Remchesters and those triggers haven’t failed me either.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its really rather simple keeping the trigger group on a remmy or any other rifle from freezing up. Don't allow water to get in,in the first place. Placing water in a winchester action or trigger group in freezing temps will result in a malfunction of the rifle. Been there and seen it first hand. In fact getting water inside the bolt of a M70 and freezing up the pin,is a hell of alot easier then on a M700.

If the M700 was as prone to fucking up as certain people on these forums would have you believe. The marine corp wouldn't still be using them 40 years later,under conditions far worse then any hunting trip.