Find
Notify
Tools

Fun hunt for my two sons this summer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Hi, I'm looking for a fun hunt for my two sons (19 and 23) this summer. Ones active duty military, the other's in college so fall is out. I plan to take them bear hunting a year from May in British Columbia but would like something fun to do with them this summer. Any suggestions welcome Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4732 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can think of is Pigs in CA. I realize you are closer to TX but it could be brutally hot and humid.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
West Texas, free range auodad
Not a summer hunt thou.
Not alot of summer time hunting
other than Texas...
How late do they hunt in Argentina?
Dove and piegon? Stag and boar?
Fishing perhaps?
Fishing for peacock bass off a house boat
in the middle of the Amazon?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Chuck, The tone here is moving towards larger game but since you specify "fun", I would suggest a few days in a prairie dog town.

Thank the one son for his service. Tell the other one to quit screwin' around and study. Wink

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 818 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Yes, Texas can be hot and humid, but unlike CA. pigs are vermin here and you can get in on some really good deals.

One thing to check out when contacting folks in Texas is what is the latest on pig movement in the area they work in.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
What kind of hog hunting do you offer Craz?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

We have hunting from stands overlooking feeders and can arrange going out and doing spotlighting. We are seeing hog movement on our game cams, but a lot of it happens from 10 p.m. until around 4 a.m. . With the weather and spring turkey season going on the oinkers are maintaining a low profile during the daylight hours. We can also combine predator hunting with the hog hunting.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

We have hunting from stands overlooking feeders and can arrange going out and doing spotlighting. We are seeing hog movement on our game cams, but a lot of it happens from 10 p.m. until around 4 a.m. . With the weather and spring turkey season going on the oinkers are maintaining a low profile during the daylight hours. We can also combine predator hunting with the hog hunting.

Unless they're covering many miles to get to your feeders, it can't be all that hard to track 'em to where they are during the day, no? They stay together so a stalk shouldn't be out of the question, no? That is, provided the heat and the undergrowth isn't prohibitive.

I actually laughed at my question after I typed it because if it were that easy, the population of the damn things wouldn't be out of control. rotflmo

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Fox
posted Hide Post
Caribou hunts open in units 25 & 26 in Alaska, north of the Brooks Range, in July I believe. My son and I, are planning our next hunt in AK (2014), for that time frame, as he is now teaching high school english, and coaching football, and will be unable to go after mid August. Beautiful, wild country, and an unbelievable experience on a DIY hunt. Knute

Posts: 38 | Location: Council Grove, KS | Registered: 02 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem right now, is that they are covering quite a few miles moving around eating, but our properties don't cover all that area. Yes, if someone really wanted to do a spot and stalk we could arrange that, but we would still have to stay inside the boundaries of the properties Robert owns.

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Try Tactical Hog Control in Bedias, TX, all hunting is at night when the temp is more enjoyable, using top end thermal imaging and night vision, you and your boys can shoot a whole gross of hogs for not a lot of cash (comparitively)

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try Tactical Hog Control in Bedias, TX, all hunting is at night when the temp is more enjoyable, using top end thermal imaging and night vision, you and your boys can shoot a whole gross of hogs for not a lot of cash (comparitively)

+1-Jed and Clark do a great job.

http://www.tacticalhogcontrol.com/index.html

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THAT looks like fun!!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
ravenr, I sent you a PM...a follow up from some previously this year. you'll be interested.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
I would look hard at Alaska if you want some summer hunting of big game. Several areas black bear are open all summer, and lots to game is open somewhere in August including black tail deer, caribou and mountain goats.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want economical and close to home, few things I do with my son (and grandson) are more fun than shooting several hundred rounds apiece in an active prairie dog town.

If you are in a position to spend some more serious money, for around $10,000 apiece (or somewhat less if you're selective about shipping your trophies home) you can go plains game hunting in Namibia any month of our summer. It's got to be the cheapest hunt in the world for the amount of game you see and have a chance to take. One thing I appreciate about it is that you can all hunt together if you wish and triple the thrill of each animal hunted, regardless of which of you is doing the shooting.

In between those two in price you might look at Northern Quebec caribou in August, which will be somewhat less expensive than Alaska.

South America is another summer possibility, but it is not the per-animal bargain that southern Africa represents.

Texas hogs are worthwhile and I'm sure that Crazyhorse offers a good deal with good chances of success, but summer isn't really the best time to hunt hogs in Texas. Pick a moonless week if you do go and you'll have a better chance of seeing hogs in the daylight. A good caller like Crazyhorse can certainly provide you with varminting action any month of the year.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like the key word that a lots of folks are missing is "fun". I'm sure creeping around TX snake country after dark would be exciting and hunting in AK during skeeter and fly season is right up there but IMO, if you're out for "fun", real fun, you can't beat a couple of days or so shooting over a Pdog town. Hundreds of shots per day per shooter. And the comradery can't be beat. Ragging on each other over a missed shot and high fiving over a good one, etc.
When we used to hunt WY, it almost became a "let's get those elk and mulies so's we can go shoot some Pdogs" kinda thing.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote