Find
Notify
Tools

DIY WY Antelope Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted
OK, Wanting to start my research early. I've been applying for points since WY started points & I'm wanting to try a DIY Antelope hunt for 2008. I'm planning on trying to draw tags this January just wanting to get my info early.

I've never hunted WY or even seen an antelope but I'm thinking I could pull this off.
Specific questions:
1. Should I spend the money for tresspass fee & avoid the crowds or go public land?
2. What area (zone)? I'm thinking around 60, 57, 61.
3. I can shoot out to 400 yards & I know quality optics area given. Anything else?

I'd really like to talk with someone who lives in WY or has hunted antelope several times.

If I'm crazy for not hiring a guide let me know, but again I'm thinking I can pull this off & if I don't get one well that's my fault & I can live with that.

Thanks guys!

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the areas you are looking at,but a DIY goat hunt is one of the easiest you cna get. Where I live it would be harder not very much public land. Get some maps that show the ownership and study them, you should be able to avoid the trespass fee. Most antelope areas are fairly easy to stalk in you when you find the one you want you should be able to get fairly close, good boots, lots of water and being in fair shape will make the trip for you.A motel can help out as a base, it can be hot and dusty out there, the motels here all have places to hang game. Some of the other guys here I'm sure will give you more info about those areas.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Yea I'd go the hotel route & I'm planning on driving (hunting partner & I) from Florida. So a comfortable hotel is going to be a must.
I'm going to start studying maps just wanting to get some first hand knowledge of areas that I need to focus on & areas I need to avoid.

I'm told to hunt the last week of the season if public land & that makes good since (to aviod the crowds). Just trying to decide where to start my focus.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be there soon, on my first antelope hunt as well. COMPLETELY DIY!

I'm going fairly cold: Have an airplane ticket, a rental truck reserved, and a ranch to hunt (at no charge). Since I lined this one up, I've got a few other leads, and one rancher told me to "Stop on by, and I'll fix you up!".
So, I'm pretty optimistic.
I would have preferred to go later in the season, but it wouldn't work out for me. Rancher said, "Come the third week, and you won't see another soul."

Spent 9 nights sleeping in my truck on a DIY moose hunt some years back, then 12 nights the next year.
It CAN be done, although the years are starting to make the aches and pains a little more noticable.

There are also good amounts of HMA land available in SOME units, but these get a little more demand, as you can imagine.

I've always preferred to sink or swim on my own.
And with the resources we have available today (INTERNET) the ground work is relatively easy.

Good luck!
And bump this thread in a couple weeks, or Message me, and I'll fill in all the details, and the outcome.
Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdeshazo:.

I've never hunted WY or even seen an antelope but I'm thinking I could pull this off.
Specific questions:
1. Should I spend the money for tresspass fee & avoid the crowds or go public land?
2. What area (zone)? I'm thinking around 60, 57, 61.
3. I can shoot out to 400 yards & I know quality optics area given. Anything else?

I just came back from a freelance hunt on public land; my partner and I shot two antelope apiece at distances much less than 150 yards. The longer we do this, the shorter the shots get. I took a 6mm-284 this trip but will use a 6x45 mm next time. I have always thought the first week would be a mess but didn't see many other trucks and the weather was nicer.

Nothing wrong with using a guide or paying to hunt on private land, but you can get pretty far with BLM maps and statistics from the previous year. Tags are issued by computer drawing; examine the statistics for the area you want to hunt to see what your chances are to draw. We put in for two areas we wanted and one that we thought would be OK and more likely to issue. It turned out the OK one was much better than just OK, and will be our first choice next year.

We generally camp away from the area we plan to hunt, go to town for Saturday night bath or to drop off an antelope at a meat cutter's place. Meat cutters are getting less common and more expensive; there must be some sort of shakeout in progress.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14628 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Posts: 35 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done a DIY antelope many times near Laramie or Medicine Bow. The Wyo. F&G has a list of ranchers in the area who allow antelope hunters (free!) that you can get, just find one with plenty of land and you should have one down in a day or two. They will most likely not be trophies such as come from the Red Desert, but good representative antelope and cheap.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a DIY antelope hunt in WY and will do it again this Oct, plus mule deer this time.

Lots of public land and lots of goats.

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Guys I really appriciate all the help & I'll be calling the ones that IM'ed me.

Thanks again for all the help!
Shawn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted a lot of antelope in WY, on both public and private. Hunting on your own on public land is very do-able and much of the eastern half of the state will work. As others have suggested, find out where the BLM land is, compare that with topos (antelope generally prefer to live on flatter terrain because it tends to be sage and grass), and you should have lots of areas to choose from.

I would strongly suggest, however, that you hunt opening day if you are on public land. After they've been shagged around a day or two they can get very spooky and your shooting opportunities will become correspondingly longer.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from my first antelope hunt (DIY) above Medicine Bow.

PLENTY of antelope,especially if you don't mind putting some wear on your boots.
Rain on Monday turned everyhing SLICK for Tuesday opening, so I walked in.
Had to skin cut and bone it where he fell, them hoof it almost 2 miles, but I survived!

Great time!

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
If you apply for 57, 60 or 61 you probably won't get a license. They are low percentage for drawing since they are popular trophy areas. Find areas with better odds if you want to plan on going on your first hunt.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, for the excellent input on this thread. We may try a hunt like this in the near future. Any suggestions on zones for application? We are not trophy hunters; just looking for a new experience.

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything M. Twain

Posts: 92 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAndy:
Thanks, guys, for the excellent input on this thread. We may try a hunt like this in the near future. Any suggestions on zones for application? We are not trophy hunters; just looking for a new experience.

I'm not gonna blab any favorite spots, but examine the BLM maps, and the statistics for getting tags and filling them. You'll know what to do.

If you see a ragged-ass gray Dodge pickup when you get there, you're welcome to sit at the campfire with us...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14628 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple average antelope my wife and I killed yesterday. DIY is easily accomplished.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I love the mass on the missus' goat! Those are both fine bucks for sure.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Nice Goats, congrats!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And here's my first ever antelope.

My brother also took a buck and doe.
Easily accomplished in our DIY (read: CHEAP) style.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
My buddies all got there antelope on the DIY hunt I was unable to go on. Just do your homework, have fun beer

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote