Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mouse deer?
 Login/Join

posted
Ok mouse deers are from vietname just wondering anyone hunt these b4 or does any outtfitters have them on list? Just looking might hunt one someday ^_^
P.S just looked up Pudu to see if it was endangered and it is so count that one out

[ 12-31-2002, 12:11: Message edited by: Ninja Hunter ]

Posts: 174 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
Ninja,
Don't know nuthin about no mouse deer but can tell you all about mice.haha
Where you from??? or where you going to school at/ I live about 4 miles from WVU

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
NH,

The Hunting report just sent out an e-mail regarding hunting in Vietnam. One of the hunters was lucky enough to bag one of these monsters...

Vietnamese Mouse Deer

The Hunting Report says that the hunt was booked by Harv Hollek (Tel. 206-285-6868. E-mail: hhollek@aol.com). I don't know much about the booking agent, FWIW.

The main quarry was buffalo.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Malaysia, we had mouse deer. They were VERY tiny poodle sized, though I dont know if they were they same as the vietnamese... I imagine they were.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks like a 1.77 pellet gun is overbore for these pipsqueaks. [Big Grin]

What the heck would you use for them? A 22?

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Live in barbour county oh and sent a email out to see what the price was for that bad boy!! ^_^

Posts: 174 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Indonesia has them - they call them rusa tikus. You'll have a hard time hunting them in Indonesia, but then again, I'm not sure what the attraction of hunting them would be. (No offense intended, of course.)

I mean, if you live where they have them that might be one thing, but to go on an expensive trip to hunt something the size of a squirril? It seems to me one could get more bang for his buck elsewhere.

As an aside, in James Clavell's first novel, "King Rat", the prisoners in a WWII Japanese prison camp in Singapore raised rats to sell to their fellow prisoners for food. They told them they were these mouse deer.

(James Clavell is the author of Shogun, Tai Pan, Nobel House, etc. He actually served in just such a prison camp so maybe he's writing from personal experience, I don't know. "King Rat" is a great read, by the way.)

[ 01-01-2003, 01:22: Message edited by: Wismon ]

Posts: 358 | Registered: 15 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
it would be in conjuntions with other animals of corse it be like a duiker or Dik Dik.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a muntjac fawn. Seeing as muntjac orininated from this area and that a giant version has been found it seems logical that there should be a miniature version.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N.Hunter,

Texas is full of them! [Big Grin]

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote