THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Some Pics (large!) of S.E. Alaska Black Bear Areas

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Pics (large!) of S.E. Alaska Black Bear Areas
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BW
posted
Unfortunately, my hunting skills don't allow any pictures of me and a bear, but hopefully these will give those who've never been here a sense of the terrain.

A nice shot giving a sense of size and depth.

A typical USFS Cabin that anyone can rent for about $35 a night.

The same cabin, it's just sticking out of the trees, in the skinniest part of land between the mudflats and the saltwater.

Basic shot of water, islands, and shoreline. Ignore the very inconsiderate rotor blade.

The entrance to a very nice bay, which also has a Forest Service cabin. The land across the water is Alaska mainland. Canada is just beyond the mountains.

BTW, all pics were taken on my personal camera, during several routine patrols. No goverment money was spent just for the purpose of taking these pictures. Not a bad use of spare time though!

Here's a nice picture of the helo taken near Sitka Alaska.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<J Brown>
posted
BW

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures.

That last photo belongs in National Geographic. I am very impressed!

Jason Brown

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like fine bear country.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
J Brown

Thanks for the reminder! The last picture was not taken by me! It is a very good picture though. That's why I threw it in there, after I mentioned that I took all the pictures.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

<DavidP>
posted
Thanks Brian, the photos sure bring back many fond memories of SE Alaska! You have me worked up now so I guess I'll need to start looking at another black bear hunt in 2003! What a great piece of country!

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

<Lars G>
posted
Brain - your heading was a tease. I was looking for big bear pics and all I find are bear AREA pics.

Seeing the 'copter and Mt. Edgecumbe reminds me of a good 'ole Sitka story. Supposedly the truth too. A guy rented a 'copter and took a bunch of old tires into the cauldron at the summit. He set the tires on fire, creating a bunch of black smoke. The town of Sitka through she was gonna blow!! Great April fools day joke. You may want to verify that this is not an Urban Legend, but I do believe it's true.

<Juneau>
posted
BW - that's a pretty expensive looking flying machine you have there

Is the A-Frame cabin on Kook Lake by any chance?

Lars G - The Edgecumbe story is true. A character from Juneau named Harvey Hildre(and friends) pull that stunt many years ago. Picture on the front page of the Juneau Empire at the time.

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Juneau,

That cabin is the "Devils Elbow" cabin located in Rocky Pass south of Kake. The picture showing the cabin and Pass was taken looking north.

The other bay, with the mainland across the water is Portage Bay, just north of Petersburg. That's Fredrick Sound between the bay and the mountains. There's a Forest Service cabin on the spit of land (left side) which forms the entrance to the bay.

While I'm not too concerned about the cost ($14-$18 million) those helos sure are maintenance intensive! I miss the old Hueys I worked on in the Army.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!