THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Looking for Private Land 06' Elk Hunt..............

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Private Land 06' Elk Hunt..............
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I know it's alittle late to schedule an 06' Elk hunt but, 3 of us have decided to go this year if we can find the right hunt.

So far I've talked w/ many outfitters and a couple of booking agents and I've been getting calls every day.

Had one real smooth talker almost snooker us until I read all of his reviews on HuntInfo.com.

I've had a few guys call me that had hunts w/ landowner vouchers or OTC tags that had from 80-100% success in the past and rates from 3500-4500 dollars but, none have really just grabbed us yet.

If any of you know a good outfit that may have some openings, please shoot me a pm.

Thanks

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wondering if you wanted a bull or a cow hunt.........wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Bull, Thanks for the reply.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall looking into a guide outfit on private land but could never make the draw in New Mexico
and this guide north of Winston NM who had a Winston address told me for 10,000 he could get me access. I drove up to his outfit and it sure looked like fine country to me. I've scouted out this country and its surrounding teritory and this is near the Gila Wilderness where all the big bulls are coming from. Will look further for his name.

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
then get the last 3 or more years of the Big Game Harvest Statistics. and study them. Cost is $7yr.

Best way to research an area, species, sex, location, and which hunt.

Remember the main reason most go home empty is because they hunt the early seasons when it's warm and the game's still up in the high country. They won't come down low where the hunters are until the snows heavy enough to cover up the grass they must have to eat for long enough they get hungry.

AND: most hunters are too damned lazy to get back into the high country where they are.

Heres a few tricks that will help you IF you'll use them you'll stand a lot better chance than most.

Hunt the later seasons and hope there's heavy enough snow to drive them down. IF not by the week before you're going. Cancel out and go next year, save your money and irritation.

When you do get out here, make the effort it takes to get back into the hills where the game is.

Kill ratio in CO runs 17-20%. That should tell you that 75-80 our of every hundred hunters go home without their elk. So, do things right and up your chance's.

Good luck,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info George.

We found a Hunt.

I picked up a Big Game Magazine while at Barnes and Noble the other night and called a few folks. Most guys were fully booked but very nice and pointed me in the right direction. I ended up getting a hold of a guy that runs a good opperation and routinely has 100% success on his 20+ thousand acres of private land in high country. He had two of his regular guys back out to fund a trip to South Africa so that freed up a couple of spots on the second season hunt. We are going on a combo Elk/Deer hunt w/ 1x1 guides. There will only be 4 hunters on the ranch bull hunting and he is going to allow two cow hunters to come on unguided as well.

We will hunt the mulies during the mid-day on the lower elevation pastures of the place w/ the primary focus on Elk in the high country during the morn and eves.

Time to break out the 160 Accubonds and make sure the 7RM is ready.

Thanks for the info fellas.

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader,
how come you don't pursue big game on public land without a outfitter?

would it be because of your short time constraint?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader:

You hunting second season in Colorado? That is the toughest season to hunt IMO (but I did shoot a 6x6 the first time I hunted the second season).

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reloader,
how come you don't pursue big game on public land without a outfitter?

would it be because of your short time constraint?

Been there, done that. While not totally against by any means, you will spend the same amount of money(if not more) in the number of years it takes to harvest descent game on most public lands.

It's also dangerous. I've been waaaayyy back into public lands and still saw far more hunters than game every time. The game is often young on public tracts due to the hunters slaughtering everything legal.

I'm not saying good animals don't come off of public land by any means, I'm just saying I've had bad experiences on them and prefer to do all of my hunting on private land.

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reloader:

You hunting second season in Colorado? That is the toughest season to hunt IMO (but I did shoot a 6x6 the first time I hunted the second season).

AZ,

Yep, For a couple of reasons:

1) It's the first season for Mulies and we are going on a combo hunt. The ranch has some lower elevation pastures that hold mulies and we will hunt them mid-day in between the elk hunting.

2) Because OTC tags are available during the 2nd season and this was kind of a spur of the moment hunt. I actually didn't think I'd be able to go this year but, as it turned out everything sort of fell into place and I'm going to be able to make it God willing.

3) (Knock on Wood), this guy has been having 100% the last few years w/ a high percentage of his bulls being 6x6s in the 300+ range.

Hopefully it will all come together but, it's huntin' and we all no how that goes. It is high country and from what I hear has quite good scenary. Should be a pleasant get-away.

Last time I went I hunted the First season but, had time to put in for the draw etc.

I talked w/ a couple of outfitters up in North CO above Craig and they said they hunt the last season during the migration and see literally 100s of elk and have very high success. I didn't want to do that for a couple of reasons....First, We'll be driving in my pickup and I do not want to chance hitting all of those passes during November. Been there and it is quite scary to say the least. Second, I like the high country and hopefully during mid October it will not be too too cold. Third, Our hunt is in Southern CO close to Criple Creek and shouldn;t take us but about 18-20 hours to drive from my house in North Western La.

What kind of bad experience you had during the second season? Pressured game?....

I will say I'm all about hunting them w/ a smokepole when they are buggling and if this hunt works out I may book for the Muzz season in a few years to give a chance to build up pps for a tag opp.

Have a Good One

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
quote:
Reloader:

AZ,

Yep, For a couple of reasons:

1) It's the first season for Mulies and we are going on a combo hunt. The ranch has some lower elevation pastures that hold mulies and we will hunt them mid-day in between the elk hunting.

2) Because OTC tags are available during the 2nd season and this was kind of a spur of the moment hunt. I actually didn't think I'd be able to go this year but, as it turned out everything sort of fell into place and I'm going to be able to make it God willing.

3) (Knock on Wood), this guy has been having 100% the last few years w/ a high percentage of his bulls being 6x6s in the 300+ range.

Hopefully it will all come together but, it's huntin' and we all no how that goes. It is high country and from what I hear has quite good scenary. Should be a pleasant get-away.

Last time I went I hunted the First season but, had time to put in for the draw etc.

I talked w/ a couple of outfitters up in North CO above Craig and they said they hunt the last season during the migration and see literally 100s of elk and have very high success. I didn't want to do that for a couple of reasons....First, We'll be driving in my pickup and I do not want to chance hitting all of those passes during November. Been there and it is quite scary to say the least. Second, I like the high country and hopefully during mid October it will not be too too cold. Third, Our hunt is in Southern CO close to Criple Creek and shouldn;t take us but about 18-20 hours to drive from my house in North Western La.

What kind of bad experience you had during the second season? Pressured game?....

I will say I'm all about hunting them w/ a smokepole when they are buggling and if this hunt works out I may book for the Muzz season in a few years to give a chance to build up pps for a tag opp.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Reloader:

Second season is tough IMO because the rut is well over but it isn't cold enough to bring on the feeding binge of late fall. If the weather is unseasonably warm, it is even tougher. But I am certainly no expert.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it will work out. Our outfitter says the 3rd season is the toughest for him and he has good luck on the first and second. Hopefully we'll be able to pick up a good buck as well. The area is known more for good Elk rather than good mulies but, they do get some nice ones on the ranch we'll be hunting.

He said we'll glass the meadows and cover alot of ground during the morning trying to spot a herd w/ a good bull feeding. If a stalk is not an option for their location, we will bed them down and that afternoon we'll sneak in w/in range of where they entered the dark timber to bed down and set-up. He said they frequently come out and feed before dark close to where they fed during the morning.

Reloader