THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: 150gr SST or 165gr NBT for deer (.308win)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 150gr SST or 165gr NBT for deer (.308win)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you plan to hunt Mark? this is a copy of another post that I made;

Just a post to get you going. What is your go to gun for most of your deer hunting and why. I got back yesterday morning from shooting my 308 MKX Whitworth with a 1.5x5 scope. I shot my 200yd or less go to load for pigs and Texas deer. 46gn varget 150gn power points @ 2753, 2773 and 2748. With sand bags off the front of a truck, I shot a 1.10in group. It was 1.5' high which makes it dead on about 175yds and 2.5' low at 200yds. Next I shot, to same point of aim, at 100yds, Milsurp ammo about 100fps faster. This I shoot bottles with up to 200yds. What more could you want!!! I use a 7-08 700VL for longer range and a 30-06 also, but this is my go to gun. BTW I'm 57 and have killed at least one deer almost every year since I was 14 and have never made a shot at big game over 225yds. so you could say I don't need anything but my 308.

Do you reload? Even if you don't The Milsurp shoots to same point of aim with factory Power points in my gun at 100yds and they are about $.20 each, delivered, in "lots". This makes practice easy and cheap!
capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The NBTs are usually more accurate in most rifles.

I would tend to think that a 165 NBT at 308 win velocities would probably give you alittle better penetration than the 150 SSTs but, they are both excellent bullets.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote