New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best mule deer units in Colorado?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which unit/units are considered the best for the opportunity to take a trophy mule deer (30" or better) these days? I will have 7 preference points for next year.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally do not know, but Eastman's Hunting Journal has a section called "MRS" in every issue dealing with the ins and outs of drawing in different states each year. You get instant online access with a subscription. This year's Colorado section was in the March/April issue Check it out at http://www.eastmans.com/

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Andy.
I use to subscribe to Eastman's J. about 20 years ago.
I started getting depressed (and quit thinking about mule deer hunting) when the only bucks pictured in the journal back then were young 20 inchers.
I am hoping that since Colorado has had the draw-only for deer that things should be better.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would try to get a 4th season tag. Check out required points download at the Cdow website. I think you may have enough points for units 35, 36 & 361 or unit 3. Big buck potential and they should be starting to rut good. Lots of public land as well. Good luck.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unit 3 is pretty iffy right now. 2010/11 was a very hard winter on the area deer population.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
It's hard to definitively say what unit is "the best". There are so many variables and with the winter kill of 07/08 there are units in the state that are literally missing entire age classes of deer.

The fact of the matter is I can't think of a unit that's a slam dunk for a big deer if a guy has 8 or more points. Before the winter kill I could think of a number of hunts I would encourage a guy to put in for. Every unit on the state has the potential to produce a 200" mule deer. You could do a guided hunt east of 25 and if you go with the right guy you would have a great chance at a big deer. If you're planning a DIY hunt you could go to any of the "publicized" areas and have a chance at a good deer but some of those units were the hardest bit back in 07/08.

Sorry I'm not more help but IMO you're at a point where you either need to think about burning them or plan on acquiring them for another 6 years or so to allow some of the herds to rebound. If it were me I would look at finding a late plains hunt and burning them now as there are some good tags that can be drawn with one or two points

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best units can not be drawn with 7 points. The mid-level units are hit an miss for big deer and some can not be drawn with 7 points. The best bet is the eastern plains and a guide. 30" ers anywhere is a tall order.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Monster muleys.com and "the huntin' fool" are the best places to look for good info on Colorado. Pm me if you have any questions. If you want to see big bucks check out " muley crazy "

Posts: 18 | Location: northern California  | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rae59 - If you're looking for/willing to go on a guided hunt, eastern Colorado will give you the best, most consistent, opportunity at a big buck - guaranteed! And you most certainly have more points than you could possibly need, for the best hunts possible.

Secondly, if you are looking at a public land/DIY hunt, you have enough points to draw a bunch of AWESOME big deer units/seasons, for both muzzleloader/rifle. Ya, you gotta do some research/work, but the info saying you don't have enough points to draw the "best" areas, whatever those are, is simply not correct. You may not have enough points to draw the "most popular/everybody wants to go to, season dates/areas" but CO has tons of units with giant mule deer, that rival any area in the state.

Good luck to ya!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the replies gentlemen.
Nothing in life is a sure thing except death.
Just want the best odds going in.
I lost interest in CO. deer some time back...but some pictures in the last few years have my interest up again along with the draw that was implemented a looong time ago. (4-1/2 years for major antler developent...6-1/2 years for general peak...for Whitetail anyway)
FWIW I know some guys who hunt private/public land in unit 35. Other than a good bull and one 30incher
I haven't heard much crowing for some time. I believe they have been there 10 plus years.
Anyway, God willing,I am planning on going for deer next jahr.