Find
Notify
Tools

What do you feed deer?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I want to hold deer in the area of my home but am not sure of what they prefer for food. I was thinking of Mossy oak bio. but don't have farming equipment to work the ground or any way to get it back into the clearings in the woods. Is there something I can plant/feed the deer that will either grow with minimal ground prep in a smaller area or maybe a feed I can take back into the woods. I already have a mineral "wallow" set up but would like to increase the food sources for them. Any ideas?

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A large hunk of lead where possible.

Leighton

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
NBhunter,

I think we can all say that we learn by trial and error but, here are my experiences w/ food plots:

I have spent 100s of dollars on Biologic clovers and blends of various seeds. I have also bought cheap seeds and blends from local stores and the results were different from what you might expect.

On the years that we planted BL the plots grew very thick and green but, the animals didn't hardly touch it.

When we planted clay peas, oats, turnips, and winter wheat (which are far cheaper), the animals would destroy the plots.

It may work diff. in your area but, I am just telling you how it worked for me.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Around my parts we eat them and then we hunt them where they eat.

Isn't that kind of like baiting them?

"get to the hill"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Rock Salt I've been told.Illegal here and I don't do it.

Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote