THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Small wolf pack reported in Walworth county- South Dakota

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small wolf pack reported in Walworth county- South Dakota
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted this on another thread, but thought I would just start a new one.

PIERRE- Wildlife officials are investigating a rancher report of a small pack of wolves in Walworth County in north central South Dakota.

The rancher said he saw four of the animals near his livestock and was convinved they were wolves because of their size and mannerisms.

Don McCrea, a regional supervisor with the SD GF&P, said a few wolves inhabit the northwest part of the state. He said there have been sightings of wolves elsewhere in the state.

Add SD to the list of state's that have wolves.

I don't mind having a few, but I firmly believe that they need to be managed just like all other wildlife.

It would not surprise me to have some hunting opportunity reduced because of these critters.

Almost all other predators follow the prey cycle. If the prey cycle down, so do the predators.

IMO wolves cause the prey to cycle down and stay down.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is why they are in jellystone, to repropogate the west. Only thing the west has changed, subdivisions, developement, oil and gas. No room for them. "Oh but is so much wilder with wolves" the likes of brent will say. Sorry, it was and is just as wild with out them. the wilderness has not gotten wilder. Nothing has changed, except for the numbers of elk and moose.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KUDU56

I agree with you 100%, but some DNA samples have shown that the wolves are coming from MINNESOTA!

There is doubt that we will be getting some of the WY transplants, but I have not heard of any solid evidence yet.

I think the reason wolves touch a nerve with so many people is the huge economic and recreational impact they have on sport hunting that many of us hold pretty close.

I just can't wait to have a seasons, there is absolutely no reason why they can't be treated as varmints, they will flourish even with the liberal seasons.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, and bigfoot was in my back yard yesterday eating out of my bird feeder.... troll

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
agree with you 100%, but some DNA samples have shown that the wolves are coming from MINNESOTA!

The wolf shot in north central Nebraska about 5 years ago was proven to be from the Mn wolves. At that time I thought it was a Wy. wolf, but the USF&Wolf Service proved it was a Mn. wolf via DNA. With that information, I think the wolves here in Wy are illegal. They are Canadian wolves not Wy. wolves. There is apparently a difference, and Wy. law states that no nonnative species of wildlife can be brought into Wy. and released. PERIOD!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the reason wolves touch a nerve with so many people is the huge economic and recreational impact they have on sport hunting that many of us hold pretty close.

Yes they touch a nerve, gives some a woody when wolves run loose. I think it is a phsycotic imbalance, with a touch of violent sexual desires, for some to cheer wolf attacks and wolf kills. Definatly a thrill for some to watch defenseless, harmless creatures such as elk and deer and moose to be taken down, and be eaten from thier ass up while still alive. A phsyciatrist would define it as sexual desire.

But I prefer to watch and see the deer, elk, and moose rather than the killing a wolf does.

Bear, wolf, lion, preditors, and vermin!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The wolf shot in north central Nebraska about 5 years ago was proven to be from the Mn wolves. At that time I thought it was a Wy. wolf, but the USF&Wolf Service proved it was a Mn. wolf via DNA. With that information, I think the wolves here in Wy are illegal. They are Canadian wolves not Wy. wolves. There is apparently a difference, and Wy. law states that no nonnative species of wildlife can be brought into Wy. and released. PERIOD!

I agree. But federal law trumps state law. And as a liberal friend pointed out to me a long time ago. There was that little civil conflict in the 1800's that reinforced that position of Fed over State.

We had quite a few good arguments over that.

Wouldn't it have been easier to allow hunting in Yellowstone? Save all the money on the actual transplant plus increase revenue.

And think of all that great venison going into a freezer instead of wolf crap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yea, and bigfoot was in my back yard yesterday eating out of my bird feeder....

Madgoat,
You don't think there are wolves in SD? Call the frickin' GFP and they will tell you all about the one hit on the interstate 90 by Sturgis.

What about the one accidently trapped? By a state trapper no less.

What about the reports from rancher's that have been seeing them.

moon

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
agree. But federal law trumps state law. And as a liberal friend pointed out to me a long time ago. There was that little civil conflict in the 1800's that reinforced that position of Fed over State.

I bet the people of Texas would argue that one. There is a lot of talk in Wyoming of a desire to sucede, like Texas, Wyoming is pretty much self sufficient. And really don't need the feds.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
quote:

Yes they touch a nerve, gives some a woody when wolves run loose. I think it is a phsycotic imbalance, with a touch of violent sexual desires, for some to cheer wolf attacks and wolf kills. Definatly a thrill for some to watch defenseless, harmless creatures such as elk and deer and moose to be taken down, and be eaten from thier ass up while still alive. A phsyciatrist would define it as sexual desire.

But I prefer to watch and see the deer, elk, and moose rather than the killing a wolf does.

Bear, wolf, lion, preditors, and vermin!

Let me guess you think all lions, leopards, and cheetahs etc. should be hunted to extinction in Africa also, and probably coyotes and Mt. Lions in the U.S. too??

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could honestly give a fuck less about Africa, if you knew anything that was going on over there in some of the countries you would also.

As for coyotes, I don't shoot them, ever. It has been proven, time and again, coyotes eat more mice and rats than they do deer. Thus doing man a favor. As for wolves, kill them all! They do no good, except to kill and waste. There is no place for them in the 21st century, they do not make the wild places any wilder! They are worthless! A federal wet dream come true, shoved down the throats of hunters, ranchers! To many arrogant people that will never admit they made a mistake!!!!!

I really wish we could capture the excess over what the feds promised would be the limit, and transport them to places like iowah, and kintucky,new yak, and kalifornia, you know what I mean vern?