New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to Idaho this fall elk hunting. Does anyone know where I can purchase a cassette of cow calling. I have found one for bugling but need to practice cow calls as well.

Posts: 42 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Primos sells tapes of them hunting(mostly bow) that demonstrates things very well. Will even likes to show screw-ups, something many are to pridefull to admit happens to them.
You'll notice they are more casual than some "professionals" but quite successful. They explain why they set up a certain way, and demonstrate how different guys sound different (style)but are still getting them in.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nate. I have seen some of them but right now I am looking for voice cassette tapes without all the talking on them and just the calls for cow sounds and bugling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just used a video tape to compare my calls to theirs. One thing I know is the worst sounding cow call I ever heard, came from a real elk. Go figure.

Posts: 58 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Hunter-My favorite pass time is Bugleing.I strongly recommend the new Hootchie Momma Cow call for those that haven't done it before.It's an all in one squeeze type cow call with know blowing needed.My neigbor tried one out last year during the hunt and swears by it over the traditional reads and rubber band type.He called in two nice bulls(which him and his wife got) during October after the rut.A good cow call is a must in my opinion.They sure work.I use mine year around and get answers.Not the traditional battle bugle but Churps- squeels etc and the Deer are curious about it.In the summer months I have called in several Deer who were very curious about the Cow call.

Where ya going to hunt here in Idaho?

Best of luck.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jayco, I have an uncle who lives in Orofino Idaho and we are going bow hunting in Southeast Idaho. I have killed 3 elk before gun hunting but this will be my first bow hunt. I have ordered the Hootchie Momma and that is why I was trying to get some tapes so I could practice and compare how I was doing. I see you live in Idaho. That makes me jealous !

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I have lived and worked in and around Orofino for years.Great place and there's alot of Elk in that area too.I live about 50 miles from there now and go there often for fishing.

Good luck a huntin.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the Hoochie Mama. I hit one two times every 15 minutes for 45 minutes one morning and called in a nice bull that came straight at me through a clearing, and stopped about 25 yards away, with another coming up right behind me in the woods. Unfortunately, I was holding a cow tag. I also heard some cows answering as well.

Forget the tape. You don't need it.

Posts: 62 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 16 June 2003Reply With Quote