New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Bear & Antelope - 2016
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally getting around to posting some photos of my trip last month.

I hunted with Joe Troyer of Lil Joe's Big Game Hunting. I had hunted bear with Joe last year and wasn't successful and talked about coming back this year. Well, when he said he had an opening at the end of August and could work out a combo hunt, I signed up. We hunted bear starting on August 27th and antelope starting on Sept. 1. I got my bear on day 3 and antelope on morning of day 2. Bear was taken in the Capitan area and antelope was taken outside of Roy.

Joe runs a good camp and has some great dogs. I would definitely recommend Joe and hopefully be able to hunt with him again soon.

Bear was a fat sow taken with a Model 94 30-30 and 150gr power point. Antelope was taken with a semi-custom Rem 700 in 6.5-06 and 140gr accubonds.

As she lay.

Happy Hunter.

Myself and Joe.

A different pose.

First antelope.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice animals!!

Posts: 90 | Location: Mishawaka, In. | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

That Model 94 has accounted for a lot of animals during the 60 years it's been in the family.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty bear and antelope. No flies on the 30-30 within it's limits. It just flat kills stuff.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Looks great, Heeler.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
You are right about the 30-30. That bear was 30' up in a ponderosa so my shot was maybe 18 yards from where I sat. A raking shot into the ribs going forward; probably pumped out a pint before she died and fell to the ground.

Frank- Congrats to you guys also!!! Y'all really put a thumpin' on those antelope.

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a beautiful bear and even better Antelope!

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Hey now there's a combination hunt you don't see every day. Granted not in the same immediate area, but on the same trip still. Neat!
Congrats and thanks for the write up and pics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2959 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
That is a neat combo hunt and some great animals! I love that bear's coloration!

I like hunting the Capitan area - I feel like I'm back in the old west when there. That lever gun is definitely home in that setting!

Congratulations!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
We hunted with Lil Joe a few years back and both my sons got bears, my younger son got a dandy. Nice folks, nice camp, they hunt smart and hard. Would do it again.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote