Find
Notify
Tools

A gun for an explorer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
If you was forced to take one gun with you in an exploring trip in djungle whicu gun and caliber would be your choice the goal is to provid you meat and protection.
BR
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Maybe a 45/70 in a lever action or even the 444. So a Marlin makes it simple.

At least your not under gunned for what ever you encounter. If you are talking smaller game for the table then the sky is the limit. Birds? Combo gun could be the ultimit with a ?? with a ?? combination.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure how I'd end up with the oportunity to explore the jungle AND be forced to have only one gun (I'd hope to at least have a buddy along, which makes two guns minimum!)
I guess it depends on which jungle and for how long, i.e., whether the need for meat or for protection would be greater.
My first thought is the old '06, by virtue of its versatility, but being out in the jungle, not sure I'd have such a wide selection of bullet weights and styels setting on my belt as to avail myself of this particular advantage.
I suppose (without really studying where I was going) I'd opt for any big small-bore, in the 7-8mm range.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on what kind of an environment it would be, and would the availability of ammo be a question, I'd have a couple of choices.

If it was South America and the ammo was carried by me all the trip, I'd take either the Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 ACP, or a rugged combo gun, for example the Baikal (IZH) in 12/76 + 7,62x53R.

If it was a journey to Congo and the ammo carried alike, I'd take something a bit heavier, like my .45-70 Winchester 1895. Ammo would be hard-cast 400-grainers and light loads with a 200-grain coppered plinking bullets.

If the ammo availability would be a question, I'd probably take any light-weight stainless bolt-action rifle with a synthetic stock in .308 Win and eat venison every day [Big Grin]

Posts: 89 | Location: Finland | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Buliwyf>
posted
Danny,

My choice would be a bolt action .416 Hoffman built on a Montana Rifle M1999 action by Sterling Davenport of Tucson, Arizona USA.

B

one of us
posted Hide Post
For South America I think a Stainless ruger mini 14 or 30 with Syt stock. Or a Stainless marlin in 30 30. With a few dozen lite cast loads for small game along with full power loads for big game. For Africa I stainless 06 or 338 bolt gun. But then If one could get a stainless drilling in 16 ga over 9.3x74 that would cover both nicely.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Pay:
Hi
If you was forced to take one gun with you in an exploring trip in djungle whicu gun and caliber would be your choice the goal is to provid you meat and protection.
BR
Danny

My favorite exploring companion is a Rem 870 12 ga with slugs & 00Buck [Big Grin]

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington 870, 26" vent rib barrel, 3 choke tubes (IC, MOD, and rifled), and a selection of 12 gauge ammunition including #6 birdshot, 00 buckshot, and sabot slugs.

There is nothing in a jungled that can't be killed by that gun and the proper cartridge.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Harald Wolf publisher of Hatari Times and gunmaker built himself a Jungle Carbine for his jungle hunt.

http://www.hataritimes.com/e/index_e.html

His rifle is a carbine in .458 Win Mag, built on a M98 action.

John Ricks who posts on AR is also building his version of the jungle carbine. If you search on "jungle carbine" you should find the threads.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Juneau>
posted
Definitely a drilling, in suitable gauge and caliber for the particular jungle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with tsturm and ksduckhunter with the 12 gauge 870 Express, but I would plobly go with a 20 inch barrel (choke compatable ) with a plain bead barrel. It would be a killing machine no matter the game. Good Day!
[Cool]

[ 03-06-2003, 04:14: Message edited by: TrapShooter ]

Posts: 188 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would think a Marlin SS guide gun in 45-70 would be great. The ammo would be a bit bulky, but you could have solids, softs & maybe even work up a shot load?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would take with me whichever rifle I am most proficient with (regardless of size), and made of stainless steel. In my case, I only have and use one big game rifle, a stainless Ruger .338WM. I would also seal the primers with nail polish or a primer sealer.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI
I have actally tried these guns which i own.
1- springfeild M6 in stainless 22lr/410 it can provid meat but can,t give protection and trigger is nightmar.
2- savage 24 3030/ 12 it is a good gun rifle barrel is accurate and shotgun has 3 difrent choking ,but it is too heavy and shotgun barrel shoots a foot lower and � foot to the left.
3-a tikka 12/222 rem very acuurate rifle barrel and full coke shotgun ,but 222 rem even very well shootin don't qualifies as big game,the barrel are shooting well toghether,
The best compromis is combo in stainless in 12+ biggame caliber and I am still searching to find one!!
Best regards
Danny

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Think I might bring my drilling..
Depends a little bit on what kind of "monsters" � would expect to meet..
The shotgun barrels is 20/76 and the rifle is 6,5x57R. Not suited as a stopping-caliber, but..
It`s easy to carry it in a backpack if necessary, and pretty handy for different game from small to medium size..
Or what about a takedown rifle..? I would pick one from the Schultz & Larsen collection.. (Danish rifles)...

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
FN/FAL

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stainless Ruger MK 11 30/06 with a 2.5x compact leupold mounted on it for durability. I would load woddleigh 180 grain PP's and this would do the lot.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Yep a drilling for me. Twin 12-bore plus a 9.3x74mmR or bigger as it is the "jungle" we are talking about.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Savage Scout in .308. Light weight, plenty of power, compact package and easy to shoot well. It would be really difficult to leave my Marlin 1895G at home though.

After thinking about this more, I decided that my cartridge choice is still accurate, but I think that an Armalite AR10 is the delivery system I would choose.

[ 03-18-2003, 10:17: Message edited by: Dave In LB ]

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Whatever caliber is very common in that area. The '06 and .308 are very common most everywhere and are capable calibers when called upon.

<Big Stick>
posted
A flat top M4-gery,wearin' a Leupie 3.5-10x40mm(Gen2 mil reticle) in Badger rings.

69gr MK's would suit me.................

[ 03-08-2003, 03:54: Message edited by: Big Stick ]

posted Hide Post
If I could only have one gun I wouldn't go!!!!

Posts: 3 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Quite the spirit of adventure you harbor.

I'll call ya when it's safe to come out of your hiding(grin)...............

<cs>
posted
AK-47
It seems now most any jungle in the world is packed full of revolutionaries and the like, ammo, magazines and spare parts would be plentiful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
'36-.24-36. A double, of course...

Posts: 5763 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AK All the way! Light, some what accurate, full auto for the fire fight, ammo is plentiful in third world coutnries, impervious to mud and gunk. Or maybe the mini-30 stainless. Sounds fun, when we going?

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Danny Pay
Depends on what you mean by djungle? Asia, Latin/ South America or Africa??

Africa and Asia is clearly a 416/ 404 or 450 rigby rimless on a mauser action. I have elephant,gaur, water buffalo and tiger in mind [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

For Latin/South America a mauser in 9,3X64 or 62. Maybe a 7X64 [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd cheat! I'd take a M98 in 3006 with a 22" barrel, syn stock, and rust blue finish, and a Ruger .22 pistol with two spare mags. I'd carry 40 rounds of Federal Premium 180Nosler Partitions for the 3006, and four to six of the those 50round boxes of Federal .22, about half hollow points and the other half "solids." If it is within .22 range, I can hit it with a .22 pistol, so it would keep me in small game. I'd use the 3006 for large game and things that might hurt me. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
No4 SMLE n good ole 303..........

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I've built such a rifle in the past and would do it nearly the same again...

A stainless short-action M70 in 308 Win with a featherweight bbl cut to 20". A 1x4 Leupold on top in Talley's rings (with the rear-peep base) and a blade front sight from Ashley, stocked with a Brown or Olive Drab Bansner stock (with the forearm shortened to 9"). I'd take it over to Dave and Dennis Gentry and have them bead blast and blue it.

With an Uncle Mikes "Mountain Sling" and five rounds it'd go about 7.5 lbs "all-up." Handloaded 165 X's at 2,775 or the Federal180 gr. Nosler HE load at 2,700 fps would do anything that need's doing.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd choose a weapon that could function under the most severe conditions, make fast follow-up shots and have the caliber large enough to shut-down a charging native, wild boar of monkey. Yet have the cartridge still be small enough to carry massive quanities of ammunition. I'd choose an AK-47. If I were going to a place a possible shots over 500 yards at Moose or to a place were Cape buffalo were wanting to turn me into mulch I would make a different choice. In the case of the largest possible treat is between a pissed-off spear-chucker or a Forest hog I think the 7.62x39 would preform exquisitely. Its lower veolocities for the dense undergrowth and the avalibility of military ammo that is very water resistant I think, would make it a good canidate. Good hunting.

Posts: 43 | Location: Palmer College of Chiropractic,Iowa | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi
And why not a ruger mini 14 in stainlees steel?
danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not a Ruger Mini-14 in stainless steel? I have never used of been around one to say anything about them. From my readings it seems that people either like them alot or dislike them alot. Each rifle must be made alot different or what each person is looking for in that rifle is alot different. Anyone have any strong feelings for the Ruger Mini-14 or 30?

Posts: 43 | Location: Palmer College of Chiropractic,Iowa | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Mine would be either a S/S cape gun chambered for 16 ga shotgun on the left barrel, and a 8X57JR, or 9.3X74R on the right barrel,my second choice would be a stack barreled drilling! The barrel lay out would be a 9.3X74R barrel on bottom, a 12 or 16 ga shotgun on the top barrel, with a 22 lr barrel between the barrels on one side!

We are talking about an explorer firearm here designed for survival. I just happen to have a very nice cape gun that is a 16 ga on the left, and an 8X57JR on the right. It will pattern 7 1/2 shot perfectly, it will also place a 16ga Brenneke slug right beside a 196 gr soft point bullet from the 8X57JR @ 100 yds. It is a sidelock hammer gun, with Purdey underlocks, and side clips, and Greener cross bolt top lock. It pushes the 196 gr bullet @ 2550 fps, and all barrels shoot to the sights @ 100 yds. I could live like a king as far as food goes, and with a few solids, could protect myself from about anything. NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW if I could have two gunsssssssssssss................. I'd take my Merkel S/S double rifle chambered for 9.3X74R, and a combination gun with a 22 lr barrel, and a 12 ga barrel! [Cool]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For an explorer, I like MacD37's ideamakes sence to me.once talked to an interesting fellow who trapped for a living in the north and he carried a over/under in 222 remington / 20ga,

Now if your talking about survival because every thing has gone to hell in a hand basket,the Ak is going to be very hard to beat

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi dave
I tested the folowing loads 222 rem BX 50 grain vs 3030 125 gr siera + 33 gr norma 202 at 40 yds. they both penetrate a 5 inch thich log(apple tree) but 3030 went 2 inch deeper in dry paper behind the log and 222 xed very nicely' 30 is a better big game choice.
danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
Only possible choice, a bolt positive feed Mauser in .308.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a good 22 bolt rifle, with peep sights, couple hundred rounds of aquila SSS, and a 45LC on my hip... the 45 could stay at home, if only one gun.

that setup woudl kill anything in NA, and the pistola and I would dance with a jaguar, anytime.

jeffe

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Well Jeffe since my name aint W.D.M Bell or John Taylor ,i think my choice had to be a rifle drilling of Krieghoff with 20/76 in the shotgun and 500-416 Flanged . But Bengt berg had the best solution , Two shotgun baskyles and 9 barrels for his expedition weapons. Cape gun barrels with 12 gauge and 8x60 R and 12/470 for instance.

If i had a capegun i would like that one with 8x57 JRS or 9,3x74R in the rifle barrel, buckshot,brenneke rounds, and normal shots also included. But if it was a rifle, it would be either a .375 or a 416 for various use.

Scope a good european 1.5-6x or 3-12x56 .

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
A drilling would be an exc. choice, although a bit heavy. A short bbl. .308 bolt gun w/ peep sights & low power scope, maybe something along the scout model. Depending on how long you are going, you won;t be able to carry enough ammo but I bet you can get .308 in some flavor in just about any country. bewildered

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote