THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Do you visit outfitters/guides web sites?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you visit outfitters/guides web sites?
 Login/Join

posted
Looking through a hunting magazine at outfitters/guides and noticed probably 95% have web sites posted. Visited some sites...a few are impressive, many are outdated and poorly designed.

My question to you all is this: if you are going to book a hunt/fish trip, is it important that the outfitter/guide have a web site? And what are you looking for in that site?

Question:
How important is a web site when booking a hunt/fish trip?

Choices:
Yes, an outfitters web site is very important to me when booking a trip
Outfitters web site is somewhat important to me
Nope, outfitters web site not important to me. I rely on other things when booking a trip
Other...please feel free to add your opinions below...

Posts: 4 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
A nice website is somewhat important, mostly because I like pictures! What is more important is prompt, honest (seeming at least), and open communication by said outfitter or guide. Good information, including that obtained from references, is very important to me when considering a hunt with someone that I'm paying a lot of money.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
yea we like pictures

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Photos are nice, but more importantly are the names of some references who have their phone numbers listed, so you can talk with folks who have already taken the plunge.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A decent site is certainly a convenience. It's nice to be able to find contact info, location etc. without having to write it down somewhere. It's also good to have some idea of who/what you're dealing with. The site doesn't have to be particularly fancy; just up-to-date and competent.

I wouldn't say that it's essential, but it's a help.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only problem with some outfitters' sites is currency. When I'm looking to book a deer hunt for this season in Texas, for example, I'd like to see what they took in '06, not in '04.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The website gives information on what type of facilities are present and also tells a bit about how the outfit approaches its business. For example; a web site out of date by several years makes me wonder about how the outfitter handles business details. One taht has bookings posted for 2 or 3 years out tells me they are detail orientated and probably run a good business.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Someone who puts up a poor website is doing something half assed, I would worry if any of that would carry over to the hunt.

Important things I look for are terms/conditions of the hunt, general costs, general are, references, services offered outside of the hunt (i.e lodge, meals, etc.) My first look is the website, followed by a phone call to the outfitter/guide, then phone calls to references.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing to keep in mind however is that your average guide insn't necessarily the most computer literate person in the world.
My dad for instance has guided since the 70's and can't even turn a computer on.
Another guide I know in New Mexico that guides Mt. Lion and Bear is the same way. Neither of them know much about computers but you'd better listen to them if you want to kill what you came for.
On the other hand I know of two upstart/wannabe hunting guides near where I live in College Station TX, that have great sites with lots of pictures. Both claim to be professional and neither knows their backside from a hole in the ground.
The website is a good starting point but not the true test of a guide/outfitter.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
As someone that has a small hunting operation and a website, I go along with the concept, that it is nice to have some base information to start with, websites are good places to obtain that information.

It saves an outfitter some time and money, because they may not want to advertise or may not have the budget to advertise in a dozen or so different magazines. Also it cuts down on the costs of printing brochures up and getting them spread out across the country.

One thing that we don't do, is list our references on our site, and will only give them out to a potential client upon request.

When they are requested, they will be snail mailed on hard copy, and not emailed. While it doesn't completely eliminate the possibility of indentity theft, some folks just don't want their phone numbers or addresses splashed across the internet.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote