THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Has cape buffalo hunting in USA become more competitively priced?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has cape buffalo hunting in USA become more competitively priced?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The last time I queried, there was a cape buffalo hunt available in Texas - $50,000. Fifty grand is beyond my price range. Is there now any competition cape buffalo in the USA - that is, a competitive price drop that enters the price range of African travel, immunizations and prophylactics, import-export of firearms and trophies, and hunt fees?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
For $18-$20 grand you can do Africa for Buff with the opportunity to add some plains game pretty cheaply.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be rude, but shooting a Cape Buffalo in Texas for any price ranks right up there with shooting someone's Hereford bull.

My boss offers Buffalo/Bison to shoot, and shooting a Cape Buffalo would be no different. You are driven around a pasture, the animal is spotted, and you get out and shoot it.

That is not hunting in anyone's book, I do not give a damn about the price, it is a shoot, nothing more.

If it is what floats your boat, by all means do it, but it is not a "Hunt" for either species, it is a shoot.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that really what that Texas hunt is? I kind've zoned at fifty grand. Never having hunted farmed?? game, I merely assumed it would be on similarly vast acreage that I'm led to believe is what most African hunts are. OR are African private property hunts also comparable with "shooting someone's Hereford bull," in a foreign country?

quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Not trying to be rude, but shooting a Cape Buffalo in Texas for any price ranks right up there with shooting someone's Hereford bull.

My boss offers Buffalo/Bison to shoot, and shooting a Cape Buffalo would be no different. You are driven around a pasture, the animal is spotted, and you get out and shoot it.

That is not hunting in anyone's book, I do not give a damn about the price, it is a shoot, nothing more.

If it is what floats your boat, by all means do it, but it is not a "Hunt" for either species, it is a shoot.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Naphtali,

The point of a Cape buffalo hunt is not merely to shoot a buffalo but to be in Africa and have the "Safari Experience". In my mind shooting a Cape Buffalo in Texas is cheating yourself at any price.

African buffalo hunts can be had on smaller fenced properties for $8,500 all in. Bigger fenced areas might offer them for $12,000-$14,000 and wilderness areas for $18,000-$30,000. It all depends on what experience you want.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:

The point of a Cape buffalo hunt is not merely to shoot a buffalo but to be in Africa and have the "Safari Experience". In my mind shooting a Cape Buffalo in Texas is cheating yourself at any price.

African buffalo hunts can be had on smaller fenced properties for $8,500 all in. Bigger fenced areas might offer them for $12,000-$14,000 and wilderness areas for $18,000-$30,000. It all depends on what experience you want.

Mark

An elephant will not wonder through camp, the roaring of the lion will not be heard nor will the smell of smoke permeate your being in Texas.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas, well, that's just Texas...

Africa is a total immersion experience.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
quote:

Mark

An elephant will not wonder through camp, the roaring of the lion will not be heard nor will the smell of smoke permeate your being in Texas.

Actually the smoke we can do in Texas, the rest, not so much.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that really what that Texas hunt is? I kind've zoned at fifty grand. Never having hunted farmed?? game, I merely assumed it would be on similarly vast acreage that I'm led to believe is what most African hunts are. OR are African private property hunts also comparable with "shooting someone's Hereford bull," in a foreign country?

I have no experience hunting in Africa, but I do in hunting in Texas. From experience in working with bison, having hunted musk ox in northern Canada, the large bovine types really aren't all that impressed with human superiority.

I notice among the other responses, people with African experience have described low end to high end hunts and from the way all those that have experienced Africa on their various hunts, as much as I love Texas, I will be damned if I would spend any money here to shoot a Cape Buffalo, just to be able to say I did it.

Were I ever to get really wound up to want to shoot a Cape Buffalo, my ass would be on a airplane headed for Africa.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had thought that Texas had banned the placement of dangerous game on shooting preserves?

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
African buffalo hunts can be had on smaller fenced properties for $8,500 all in. Bigger fenced areas might offer them for $12,000-$14,000 and wilderness areas for $18,000-$30,000. It all depends on what experience you want.Mark

It might just be me, but I find it incredible that anyone has $30k to drop on a hunt. I'm not sure that I could do it even of I had that kind of money.

Posts: 4156 | Location: Hell | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

I have no experience hunting in Africa, but I do in hunting in Texas. From experience in working with bison, having hunted musk ox in northern Canada, the large bovine types really aren't all that impressed with human superiority.

I notice among the other responses, people with African experience have described low end to high end hunts and from the way all those that have experienced Africa on their various hunts, as much as I love Texas, I will be damned if I would spend any money here to shoot a Cape Buffalo, just to be able to say I did it.

Were I ever to get really wound up to want to shoot a Cape Buffalo, my ass would be on a airplane headed for Africa.

You opinion may be worth dog shit CH, but this is actually a very good post: don't hunt for something because you think you need to, or you think your hunting friends will be impressed. Hunt what you want to hunt. Personally, I love Africa, but I also love elk hunting on horseback, hunting moose and bears in the north, etc.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been somewhat of a collector in my hunting career, but I have always felt that if I was wanting to shoot something, I want to do so in its native/natural home range.

Over the years I have met folks that really only wanted to say that they had shot something, and were willing to come to Texas to shoot a Greater Kudu.

Could I afford to do that, yes, but it would not be the same as going to Africa to shoot one.

Yes, I would be able to have the trophy and the meat shooting one here in Texas, but I think I can guarantee that a Texas raised Greater Kudu would not taste the same as one that had lived in the African Bush.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If one wants to shoot a cape buff in Texas he only has to justify it to himself, no one else. Myself, I'm looking for a Polar Bear hunt in Florida....

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be guiding for the extremely a rare all white Cape Buffalo in Wisconsin next winter.Anyone wanting to make a reservation PM me!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
I will be guiding for the extremely a rare all white Cape Buffalo in Wisconsin next winter.Anyone wanting to make a reservation PM me!! Big Grin

Snow buff I hear they are tough they can hide under even the smallest amounts of snow.

Hunting them is kind of like fishing for muskies takes a lot of hunts to get one.

And kind of like the exclusive snow snakes very very hard to find. But well worth the money if you ever do.

Heck we just received another two inches I should start carrying my 416 just incase one pops out of the snow bank

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:

White buffalos are extremely dangerous. I saw the movie.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote