New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any moose hunters out there?
 Login/Join

<Ranger Dave>
posted
Any moose hunters aout there? Where do you like to hunt? Do you hunt in a group or alone? What is your favourite rifle for moose hunting?

<Daryl Elder>
posted
OOOWAAHHH...WAH...WAH...WAH. Well, that's the best I can do in text. How is the moose population in your area? They are like flies around here, except bigger, of course. I prefer to hunt alone( but regret it when I get one down!) because then I am the one to blame for a screw-up. I like my '06, but have used my 9.3 and will use my .45/70 next year.

<Reloader 1>
posted
I Moose hunt in Ontario at a friends resort we hunt with ATVs following old logging trails around lakes and beaver ponds.Last year I shot my bull with a .338 ultra mag and 250s my partner shot his with a 300 Win mag and 180s same results.

<Ranger Dave>
posted
I was swirving around moose near Wawa Ontario at night. Nothing like going through a turn and seeing black stilts in the middle of the highway.

I enjoy moose hunting in Manitoba. I normally go with a friend. I either take my 30-06 or my 300 Win Mag.

<sure-shot>
posted
I'll be headed to Wyoming next year. I have accumulated 7 pref. points so far. One of my hunting cronies has 6 pref points so he may go too. If not I'll have Ole Roy from Evanston help out when I put one down. 338 Win mag or 06 will be used. sure-shot

<ovis>
posted
Right here, at home, by myself mostly, .350RemMag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We hunt in the Pine River area near Chetwynd, BC. Our group varies form 2 to 5-all with the same last name-cousins. Been that way off and on since 1968. I haven't missed a year since 1986(not all moose hunts-some elk). I use a .35 Whelen or a .300 Win Mag.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Mauser98, Thats exactly how I ended up growing up in Chetwynd. My Pa started hunting moose up there (Del Rio, know it?) in about '71 or so when we lived in Langley. We moved up in '79 so my dad wouldn't have to drive so far. Despite the family spreading out over the years, he is back there again.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy moose hunting. I hunt them in the Yukon or Northern B.C. Depends on who I am working for. I use my 338 Win.Mag or my 45-70. I have been fortunate to kill some good bulls. I really like it when you get them in real close.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunt them here in Alberta whenver I can. We had a bad die off a few seasons back, and they've put almost all the WMU's under draw. If you're willing to go north you can still just pick up a tag and go, and that's where the best moose are anyway. Usually hunt with a friend or two, and with whatever rifle I happen to be carrying. in the thicker brush that's usually a 350 Rem Mag. Easy to carry, does the job. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck

I really like that part of the world. I have a daughter and soon-to-be son-in-law in Fort St John. If they get into production maybe the grandparents will want to live closer.

I don't know the Del Rio. We like the Stewart Lk area. It's nice easy country for a guy who has to shy away from the steep ground.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello.
I hunt in the Norwegian woods. We hunt in groups. We use to spread the folks out in a large area to cut of the escape routes for the moose. Then, a man with a loose dog goes in to the area, trying to find the moose. Then he does, the moose often stand still angry at the dog, and the hunter can snik up on the animal and shoot it. If it don't, it tries to escape and that's when the others in the group have their opportunity. It's often 50/50 chance between the "dogman" and the others.
I just started to use my .416 Taylor this autumn. I shot 2 moose with it, and it performed just perfectly. I've fallen in love with that rifle already. I have a buddy on my "moose -team" that have used 9,3x62 for many years now, and I think that must be one of the most optimal calibers on moose. Loaded with the, good Norma Oryx bullet.

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We hunt much the same way as 460Wby described it. I personally hunt in two or three places during the atumn depending on the outcome (how fast the "tags" are full) in the different places.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
<PCH>
posted
First time I try to post a picture, hope you can see it.

This moose was taken in early november 2001. He weighed 250 kg (only meat and bones) which would be 450 kg (1000 lbs) live weight. The antlers score 251 p which just makes him a bronze medal according to the swedish system. If he had lived 3 more years or so he'd be a mature bull probably with a lot bigger antlers.

I hunted alone and shot him when my moose dog had bayed him. My dogs first moose!! I used my 308 win with 180 gr Oryx bullet. The bull dropped on the spot after a shot thru the lungs and spine, bullet passed completely thru.

[This message has been edited by PCH (edited 01-15-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
We got 2 moose at our deer camp about 3 miles from where I live but I prefer to go up N. Ontario with 3 of my buds been doing it for years. I shot 2 up north this year with my Ruger .280, it's my favorite fine shooting gun, but I've got a Siamese mauser in 45-70 that I'd like to try, or maybe a .33W or .348W or 50-70G or maybe a???? Later

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
If I am lucky on the New Brunswick draw I'll go this fall for my first moose hunt.

------------------
~Ann
Orion Trophy Expeditions

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
<No Fear in Accuracy>
posted
Daryl Elder

Your moose call is pretty good.

The moose population in Ontario about 80,000. For deer, it is around 350,000. Black bear: 80,000-100,000+ ?

I have no big game rifle at this time but my future project would be 338 Lapua.
My favourite place to hunt is clear-cut.

-DG

<Pygmy>
posted
Ann....Best of luck in the NB draw...You have a chance of about one in ten of drawing, which is pretty good....I haven't managed to draw there yet NOR in Maine ( 20 years of trying in Maine...I'm going to apply in New Hampshire this year so I can be rejected there, also... ...........

I am going to Alaska this September, however, where most tags are over the counter. This will be my fourth moose trip there...

I killed my first Alaska moose with a .280 Rem and 160 Nosler partitions.. Then I saw the size of some of those grizzly bears up there and my rifle felt VERY small....

This year I'm shooting a CZ-550 in 9.3 x62 ...

The rifle sports a Leupold M8 4x scope and is VERY accurate with Barnes 250 X bullets

[This message has been edited by Pygmy (edited 01-14-2002).]

<Ranger Dave>
posted
Good to see people world wide that enjoy moose hunting. Thanks for your reply.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Moose hunting in Alaska is in my view the best in the world. However, to hunt in Alaska could be very expensive to outsiders, and more than likely you will be far away from populated areas. We don't have many roads, and often one must fly of travel by boat.

Those of us who have been Alaska residents for many years, already have our "hunting spots" not too far from our homes. I drive 60 miles away from town, and hunt with a couple of friends for a few days. We park our trucks near the road, and ride ATV's on a muddy trail eight miles out to our campsite. There we stay until at least one of us kills a moose.

As you may know, moose hunting in Alaska is accomplished in "bear country," so skinning and quartering a moose during the night is not an easy task. That's why I never hunt alone, but some people do.

Moose are everywhere in Alaska; even at this moment there is a caw and calf eating willow and birch branches in our backyard. Bow hunting is allowed within the city limits, because the moose population is so large. Hundreds of moose are killed each year by trains and automobiles. Wolves, bears, and other animals stumble into town every now and then.

The most popular hunting cartridges in Alaska are the .30-06, .300 Magnum, and the .338 WM, then all sorts of guns. I use a .338 WM, and have been lucky enough to kill a moose each year for the past seven years. When you shoot a moose with a .338 WM (or a .375 H&H) you can actually see the difference, but you will have to see it with your own eyes to believe me.

Look around the following web site, which may well be the best one world because it has a wealth of information. Remember to go to the "Home" page and look around there, too:

http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/FISH.GAME/wildlife/geninfo/hunting/huntak.htm#ind ex

[This message has been edited by Ray, Alaska (edited 01-15-2002).]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<bearbait>
posted
MAINE,MAINE,MAINE !
we have so many of them dam moose around its dangerous driveing at night. here where i am we guided 8 party to 8 moose in the 2001 season. the largest being 965lbs. with a 59inch rack. also had a bull at 880lbs with a 57inch rack.

good hunting

bearbait

<garyb>
posted
Ray don't paint such a pretty picture. If the Feds have there way we wont be able to hunt moose for too much longer. I just hope when our next Republican gov will stand up and fight those who are trying to give all of our Alaskan constitutional rights away in the the name of subsistence. and I hope the folks at Ft. Wainwright re-open the area for hunting this next year. There is no better place to be than a week or more at a moose camp here in AK.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are correct about that, Garyb. So far it has worked for me, and hopefully it will continue that way. I am an AOC member, so I receive lots of information on the subject of "subsistence, State vs. Federal, etc.). It doesn't look good right now, but I believe that eventually The Constitution will prevail. Our State can't be the only one where the Feds. conduct State matters.

In reality, Lower-48 hunters can easily hunt in Canada. It's difficult for them to hun in Alaska because of the expense involved.

[This message has been edited by Ray, Alaska (edited 01-15-2002).]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Mauser98, the Del Rio is just across the river from Stewart Lake. Very similar hunting, but it was hit pretty hard in the '80's. We ended up switching to the Stewart Lake area ourselves.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
If Site C goes through, and I think the Liberals will do it, we can kiss Del Rio 'goodbye'. Good ice fishing at Stewart Lake! I avoid it during hunting season, though.

<Pygmy>
posted
Bearbait......Maine....I'd LOVE to...The problem is drawing a TAG there.......I've been appying every year ( about 20) since non-residents have been eligible, without a sniff..........

In fact, a lot of my friends apply also, and I don't even KNOW anyone who's ever drawn a tag........

<magua>
posted
By the cabin in the Interlake area of Manitoba. Usually by myself, on foot so I don't leave a trail for everybody to follow, my 1859 Sharps with a 500gn paper patch slug in 45-70. Use to be a great area until they allowed hunting on your ATC so after the first week you better be willing to go WAY BACK and worry about being lost after you put one down.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Daryl, If Site C goes through, my Dad will have lake front property!

Seriously, I'd love to see the plans for that burned, and make it against the law to even speak of it. I am not a big fan of dams to start with, but flooding whats left of the Peace in BC would be a travesty. Haven't we learned anything!!! My favorite part of the drive to the families ranch is between Charlie Lake and the 115 Road. The Peace breaks are just gorgeous.

Canuck

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post

Yep, I hunt Moose.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
First one a little small, will try again.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Herb D>
posted
Mine too. Me too.

<magnarps>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 460wby:
Hello.
I hunt in the Norwegian woods. We hunt in groups. We use to spread the folks out in a large area to cut of the escape routes for the moose. Then, a man with a loose dog goes in to the area, trying to find the moose. Then he does, the moose often stand still angry at the dog, and the hunter can snik up on the animal and shoot it. If it don't, it tries to escape and that's when the others in the group have their opportunity. It's often 50/50 chance between the "dogman" and the others.
I just started to use my .416 Taylor this autumn. I shot 2 moose with it, and it performed just perfectly. I've fallen in love with that rifle already. I have a buddy on my "moose -team" that have used 9,3x62 for many years now, and I think that must be one of the most optimal calibers on moose. Loaded with the, good Norma Oryx bullet.

Hei Arild

Koselig � se deg her. Magnar.