New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iron sights
 Login/Join

<Loren>
posted
Does anyone hunt with iron sights anymore? If so at what ranges? I had a Williams sight on my .30-30, but never hunted with it. After I sold the .30-30 I moved the sight to a pellet gun and shot that gun till it died.

I saw that Savage has a scout rifle with ghost ring sights - the only factory sights that look worth using.

Any favorites for iron sights? I will only use apeture sights - got pretty good with them in the Army.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have iron sights on a few of my rifles, but not on anything I'm going to shoot past 50-75 yards. My eyes just aren't good enough anymore. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In dense forest and other such places I use iron sights. I feel that they give me a better view than even a low-power scope. But I didn't have a scope when I started to shoot rifles so I'm used to them.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
My new heavy cover rifle is a Browning M95 Lever Action rebored to .35 Whelen. It wears an Ashley front blade and Williams Receiver sight. I hope to blood it this spring on pigs here in California.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My shooting began with iron sights and I still prefer them for off hand shooting, running shots and up to about 200 yards for standing...After 200 or a bit less the scope gets the nod...but if I was deprived of a scope for all my hunting it would not be a catastropy to me, as it would be to some....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loren:
Does anyone hunt with iron sights anymore? If so at what ranges?

Dear Loren,

some of us still do so. I have irons on all my rifles, and detachable scopes on some. The irons are good for black grouse up to 75 yards, for roe deer up to 100 yards and for moose up to 150 yards. But preferably I use the irons for off-hand, and scopes when shooting with a rest.

On one rifle I have peepsight which is quite handy and accurate.

Shooting with irons requires some training, and I use to visit the shoting range now and then to maintain my own accuracy. I learned shooting with irons at the Air Force. The King�s machine gun was a good teacher as careful sighting was necessary if you should hit a sqarefoot target at 100 yards. It was a rather tough gun to shoot accurate.

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used and still use irons quite a bit, but this is mostly for the NRA match's and my indoor offhand practice. At my age, If I had my choice I would take a scope anyday. Many of todays young shooters have never used irons and its a shame because they missed out on what I consider a very important step in learning to become a proficiant shooter.

I agree with Atkinson-- for 200 yard offhand they are great, (national match sites of course)!

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have reciever sights on several guns, and iron sights only on a couple more. Out to 100-150 yards I don't feel handicapped. A scope does help in low light conditions, though, but it is still fun to use the irons.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biggest problem w/ iron sights is older eyes.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
The deer season here is shotgun with slugs only. The brush is so thick that anything past iron sights are competely unnessacary. I hunt with a Remington 870 with a 20 inch rifle sight tube.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!