Notify
Tools

here comes the lead bullet ban
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jb
posted
"This is a strengthening of a case we've been building for a long time."

W3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUX" TARGET=_blank>http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/35104694.htm...aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUX

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I wonder if the solution is not banning lead, but having people bury or cover gut piles to deter or prevent raptors from eating them.

I'm up for covering piles with branches, rocks, or burying them if I don't have to get bend over backwards by the crazies.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Since mid summer it's been HERE in CA, where my family has lived and hunted for the 120 years.

Here rimfires are GONE... no substitutes. No one I know has EVER seen a condor in this part of the State.

Fight while you can. Don't think it's not coming to YOUR neighborhood just because you don't have condors. It's junk science and it's coming to your backyard. (I have three degrees in ecology so don't anyone give me a lecture on how toxic lead is, name a substance and I'll write a more convincing study than they used to write this law on how toxic it is). Pick a species and that's what they'll use to make the law fly in your state. If you can't figure out which species they'll use in your area, email me and I'll bet I can guess. Remember it doesn't have to be an almost extinct bird. Mammals with big brown eyes make for good studies. And a few botanists could put together studies on how toxic lead is to their endangered plants.

Fight while you can. Even if you're one of the few hunters who feel eating lead fragments is killing you... we should have a choice to at least TARGET shoot with lead bullets.

The way our law got written it's illegal to POSSESS lead ammo in a hunting area (hunting area is not clearly defined... ranch, rural shooting range, BLM, National Forest, etc.?). Technically we can't even TARGET shoot on the ranches or open public land anymore with rimfires or ANY other lead bullets. This law made a criminal out of every landowner with a range on their back forty. So now all our rimfires stay at home, a lot of older guns and unusual calibers stay at home. Fewer hunter hit the field. Less ammo gets sold (loss of Pittman/Robertson funds). Less money gets spent on conservation. And guess what, still no condors here!

Fight while you can, this snuck through WAY too easily here after we were told it wouldn't go through and that they definitely wouldn't include rimfires since there is no compliant ammo available (or plans to produce any - other than the one CCI 22 Mag. load which covers what 5% of the rimfire ammo demand?).

Fight while you can.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Raptors very rarely get on a gut pile here in the Southeast, and even if they did, prove to me they died of lead poisoning. More lies. Just like the duck lies of the 1980s. The Fed's showed us groups of waterfowl dying from "lead poisoning". I call bsflag Ducks/Geese do NOT gather when suffering from lead poisoning. It is a slow death and they seek dense cover to hide in from predators. Avian Cholera; yes. They eat each others feces WHEN THEY ARE SHORT STOPPED and fed long after freeze up. One gets it, thousands die from it.
Most bullets will pass through game; be dropped out of the vitals or found by the hunter. Eagles, Hawk's, Owls??? Are you kidding me? Crows...yes. Buzzard's...sometimes. Coyotes at night...hell yes. Opossum, Raccoon, Fox to a lesser degree but this is more BS. And to think, our tax dollars are paying some clowns to decide all of this. The password is MO-RON.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more time. It's not about the lead. It's about destroying hunting and your "Need" to own a firearm.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
More complete BS from the left.

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
It's just one more way "they" want to control you. Backdoor gun control...... wave

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where I hunt in Wyoming I can sit and watch the gut piles that I leave and one time I saw a bald eagle pick up the liver from one. If I shot a deer in the first couple days by the time I left it was just magpies is all that feed on it. I am usually there for about 2 weeks and they finish a pile in that time.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
US FWS has banned lead shot from all hunting (not just waterfowl or migatory birds) for many of the Refuges in Alaska. Endangered eiders are supposedly susceptible to lead. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see lead projectiles banned on all Federal lands in the next year or two.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are out get us any way they can.

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have made lead bullets, has anyone ever tried to make copper ones????

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a little background on the folks who brought these birds in. It would not surprise me that some PETA-types actually poisoned the birds to further their agenda.

That type of thing has been brought to light before.

Also, lead poisoning is something that is cumulative. Doesn't anyone else think it's strange that the suffering animals were all brought in right after the opening of deer season???

This is ALL a crock of BS and wreaks of PETA's underhanded ways.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine said that when he talked to a game warden that Arizona is considering a total lead bullet ban. I sure as hell hope not.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Missouri is doing it's own lead study as of now. They are useing the excuse of the donated meat fund called share the harvest.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
The case for lead poisoning being caused by expended shot or from shot in carcasses is almost as poor science as is global warming.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote