THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Good article on the loss of sport hunters in the US and effect of same
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good article on the loss of sport hunters in the US and effect of same
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudos to you Larry!

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not think hunting is going away anytime soon.

I do not think it will either, but quantifying the definition of Soon is the unknown.

How many of us that grew up hunting are now 50 or older? How long will our health and physical abilities allow us to hunt as we used to?

What about our finances and the continuing increase in the costs of everything related to hunting?

At what point in the future, near or far, will natural attrition tip the scales? As more of us pass on who will be there to fill the void and keep the interest in hunting alive?

How will the picture as far as hunting is concerned look in say 2050?

Look what has happened to hunting in the past 30 years, what will the next 30 bring, with the Publics changing attitudes toward hunting and gun ownership?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
We can preach doom and gloom or we can do something about it if we actually care. My hope is that for a small investment of my time (and sometimes a little money as well), I will create new gun owning hunters. In the bigger strategic plan, I hope they will do the same with their children. I have and will do my part now for the future by taking new people to DSC, to the range as well as hunting. But in the end, the future is in the hands of the younger generation. The two things us older guys and gals can do is open up some of our land access and give up some time to be a mentor.

Safe travels and safe shooting...……….Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
We can preach doom and gloom or we can do something about it if we actually care. My hope is that for a small investment of my time (and sometimes a little money as well), I will create new gun owning hunters. In the bigger strategic plan, I hope they will do the same with their children. I have and will do my part now for the future by taking new people to DSC, to the range as well as hunting. But in the end, the future is in the hands of the younger generation. The two things us older guys and gals can do is open up some of our land access and give up some time to be a mentor.

Safe travels and safe shooting...……….Larry

One of my favorite things that I've been doing the last 10 or more years is mentoring kids and a lot of times it's with a parent along who doesn't hunt during the Spring turkey season up here at Fort Custer just outside of Battle Creek. Our NWTF Chapter puts on a class, BBQ, practice on the range, and scouting on a Friday, followed by two days with at least 30 kids out on their hunts. It's a ton of fun and all costs are covered by our Chapter, including housing for the two nights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of us are in the position to do such things and some of us aren't.

Texas Parks & Wildlife does the best they can to recruit new hunters and there are landowners that do make an effort to provide hunting opportunities.

The problem here, is that there are so many parents that moved from the rural areas and never got into hunting themselves and the land that they may have hunted/fished on with their Dad or Grand Dad has changed hands and is being leased out to people willing or able to pay X number of thousand dollars a gun for Year Round leases.

I do not view it as Gloom and Doom, but reality is so many people have moved away from the Rural Life and Rural Areas and into Urban/Suburban areas and their parents/grand parents have either died off or sold out, so the parents of those that need to be getting involved in hunting do not have access to places where they can take their sons and daughters.

I am not saying that any of us should give up trying to recruit new hunters, regardless of their age into hunting, just that not all of us, for whatever the reasons have the ability to do anything where we live.

I was born and raised in this part of Texas, and can remember being able to hunt dove and duck and fish on nearly every property in this area, there were no deer or hogs, but now there are folks 15 to 20 years younger than me that have not been able to find places to hunt, which means their school age kids are not being introduced to hunting.

If anyone is able to get another person involved in hunting that is great. To act like the future of hunting is not facing serious obstacles does not make sense.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of us are in the position to do such things and some of us aren't

If you can charge for hunts and make a profit from it you can give a hunt away to a kid.
If you choose not to then that's another story but nearly everyone can help someone.
You don't have to grouse about it and doom and gloom, do something positive.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have given hunts away to kids. That ain't enough to change what has happened and is continuing to happen.

You can malign me all you want to and it is not going to change anything. If a kids parents are not interested in hunting and do not try to further the interest their children may have in hunting, taking the kids hunting really accomplishes nothing.

If it were not for the job I have, I would not be able to hunt!

There is a very limited amount of Public Land in Texas open to hunting, there is NONE within 80 miles or so of where I live, and what land there is in that location is over run with hunters from Ft. Worth and Dallas that can not afford a lease.

Until and shortly after I retired the reason I hunted elk in western Colorado was that Guide fees/license costs and all the associated expenses swere not any higher than a spot on a decent deer lease here in Texas.

This is an issue we will never agree on. There is no use continuing the arguement and in all reality I hope your view of things is correct, because I simply do not see hunting as we know it today lasting very far into the future.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I have given hunts away to kids. That ain't enough to change what has happened and is continuing to happen.

You can malign me all you want to and it is not going to change anything. If a kids parents are not interested in hunting and do not try to further the interest their children may have in hunting, taking the kids hunting really accomplishes nothing.

If it were not for the job I have, I would not be able to hunt!

There is a very limited amount of Public Land in Texas open to hunting, there is NONE within 80 miles or so of where I live, and what land there is in that location is over run with hunters from Ft. Worth and Dallas that can not afford a lease.

Until and shortly after I retired the reason I hunted elk in western Colorado was that Guide fees/license costs and all the associated expenses swere not any higher than a spot on a decent deer lease here in Texas.

This is an issue we will never agree on. There is no use continuing the arguement and in all reality I hope your view of things is correct, because I simply do not see hunting as we know it today lasting very far into the future.

How many friggin gloom and doom posts are you planning to make about hunting going down the tubes before you shut the hell up?! Here we are trying to put a positive spin on things that people can do to help the situation and back you come with post after post with your pessimistic BS! Please stop it as we get your attitude and it sucks! I know that's just your opinion, but it sucks so please change the subject or don't post at all!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
Interesting thread. Not sure where I read a similar article recently (American Hunter?) but the writer basically pointed out that focusing on children to increase interest in hunting was not sustainable and that most "take a child hunting" programs ended up with kids from hunting families being the majority. The writer said we should actually focus on millennials. This adult group has money to go hunting so they don't depend on someone to take them and supply the kit. They also have more interest in "organic meat" and the outdoor experience vs a big trophy. I thought it was an interesting article.

I have two young men that report directly to me that I have been giving game meat to for a few years. They always ask about it and enjoy it. Both are from non-hunting, non-gun owning families. I took them shooting a few times recently and that sparked them to take a hunter's safety course and conceal carry course. I will be taking them to our west Texas lease to hopefully kill some game this season. By the way, they both have children. This is my limited attempt at educating some new hunters/gun owners and hopefully increasing our numbers.

I do not think hunting is going away anytime soon. However, if we want to avoid draconian rules and restrictions, it would be in our best interest to bring new people into the fold and police our ranks of those that give our sport (and firearms ownership) a bad name. We can forget about winning over the emotionally charged liberal. Let's bring in those that just don't know.

Safe shooting and safe travels...……..Larry

Great comments SFR and good for you, for getting others involved!

Posts: 2648 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent yesterday scouting new places with an old friend and his 16 year old boy. My friends son was quick to pick up on reading sign and was very interested in learning about the whole process. He will be joining us this year for an early season ML hunt, his first big game hunt. They both have deer and elk tags. I hope to be able to get them into some animals and share the excitement with this fine young man.

My nephew will be joining my father and I this fall at deer camp in SD for his first big game hunt. He is 14 and very eager to get out in the field. From the amount of hunters I see here in CO and in SD every fall, hunting is not going away anytime soon. Yes it is getting harder to find places to hunt but many western states have excellent programs opening private land to public hunters. Look at the block management program in Montana, it is absolutely amazing.

I do everything I can to not support the Texas model of paying to play. Tons of good hunts out there but you have to be willing to travel and do the hard work.

I sure am looking forward to fall this year.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy reading these positive posts.

Interestingly, a couple days back, my cousins son sent me a text message. Hi father (my cousin) passed away at an early age and this kid came hunting with us a few times when he was very young.

Anyway, he asked if I would take him hunting as he did not have anyone to go with. I had invited him a year back and I am glad he got back to me. He is buying a general over the counter bull tag in Utah.

The success rate is not great here but he can buy a tag for $50. That is worth every penny; to get out in the outdoors and have a chance.

I think a non resident tag is a few hundred buck. My friends from Texas come up here to hunt most years and it is cheap. If they want a better chance, they apply for a limited entry cow tag (which is easy to draw). It takes a little effort and preparation but just about anyone can do it.

There are still opportunities out there....

Posts: 2648 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many friggin gloom and doom posts are you planning to make about hunting going down the tubes before you shut the hell up?

Until YOU become moderator or administrator of this site, I will keep posting my opinion and views on the subject! You have a problem with that, take it up with Saeed or Don.

I DO NOT like watching what has happened and is happening to hunting, but to pretend it is NOT happening is nothing more than fantacy.

I enjoy stories of parents getting their kids interested in hunting. I think Desert Rams post about his Daughter and her upcoming sheep hunt is fantastic.

That is the type of positive news everyone needs to hear, but they also need to hear about the growing negative actions/attitudes that are affecting hunting.

Our enemy is NOT just PETA or the ANTI Hunting element, it is apathy, it is the lack of experience on so many parents part because they grew up with out hunting as an integrel part of their family life.

It is the loss of access to places to hunt such as what has happened in Texas!

It is the changing attitudes of the Public In General concerning hunting!

A person wants to take a kid hunting, that is great, but what is BETTER is to take thec kid and the kids PARENT along and let THEM see the kids reaction!

It really does no good to get a kid interested in something, if neither of its parents are interested!

Please, save everyone some time and effort and address your complaints concerning my negativity on the subject with Saeed or Don, I will abide by their wishes on the issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
How many friggin gloom and doom posts are you planning to make about hunting going down the tubes before you shut the hell up?

Until YOU become moderator or administrator of this site, I will keep posting my opinion and views on the subject! You have a problem with that, take it up with Saeed or Don.

***I WISH!

I DO NOT like watching what has happened and is happening to hunting, but to pretend it is NOT happening is nothing more than fantacy.

***Do you think any of us do like it, and FYI none of us are pretending it isn't and how you came up with that is because of your lack of reading comprehension!

I enjoy stories of parents getting their kids interested in hunting. I think Desert Rams post about his Daughter and her upcoming sheep hunt is fantastic.

***WE all do!

That is the type of positive news everyone needs to hear, but they also need to hear about the growing negative actions/attitudes that are affecting hunting.

***Not 25 times from you in just this one thread!

Our enemy is NOT just PETA or the ANTI Hunting element, it is apathy, it is the lack of experience on so many parents part because they grew up with out hunting as an integrel part of their family life.

***So tell us how you would change that instead of just repeating it over and over!

It is the loss of access to places to hunt such as what has happened in Texas!

***Yep, you've told us all about Texas over and over. Now tell us something we don't know!

It is the changing attitudes of the Public In General concerning hunting!

***Another repeat comment for the 25th time!

A person wants to take a kid hunting, that is great, but what is BETTER is to take thec kid and the kids PARENT along and let THEM see the kids reaction!

***Geez, that's what I said in my last post that I've been doing for over ten years now!

It really does no good to get a kid interested in something, if neither of its parents are interested!

***You're completely wrong on that because many like myself are out there and will take them even if the parent doesn't hunt!

Please, save everyone some time and effort and address your complaints concerning my negativity on the subject with Saeed or Don, I will abide by their wishes on the issue.

***Why not just listen to all the other members that keep telling you the same thing that I have to quit posting all your gloom and doom BS? That's at least 25 negative posts you've made about the state of hunting on just this one thread and when I ask that you discontinue the negative BS you come right back with another one. Here's an idea for you. Why not C/P one friggin negative post and save it so you can just put that same one up every time to save yourself all the time it takes you to write the same negative crap! PS: You know the Moderators will let you state your opinions, but my God how many times are you going to post the same damn thing?! WE GET IT CHC, WE GET IT!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send your complaints to MANAGEMENT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Send your complaints to MANAGEMENT!

Bite me and quit being some dang obtuse!!! Look it up because you obviously have no idea what it means, but your picture should be in the dictionary describing the definition!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take it up with Saeed or Don!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take it up with Saeed or Don!

Nope! I'm not going to bother them about you! If you want to continue with your baloney, it's easier to just put you on Ignore and I hope everyone else does the same in order to give you the message that you are exactly as I mentioned in my previous post!

EDIT: Man did putting you on Ignore sure shorten this thread, LOL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is why this site has the ignore feature!