THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Good article on the loss of sport hunters in the US and effect of same
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good article on the loss of sport hunters in the US and effect of same
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as my arguing is concerned pon the various topics, I thought each person had the right to their own opinion/views/beliefs on any issue and no one else is under any obligation or duress to agree with anyone.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, however if your opinion is not based in facts then you should be called out on it and corrected.
Otherwise you are spreading a lie.
Colorado has experienced a 100% increase in applications this year that is a fact.
Colorado also has a bunch of left over licenses that is a fact.
The bulk of those licenses are Private Land Only designated or occur in hunting units that are made up entirely of private land only so they do no one any good unless you have, get or purchase trespass right to those lands that is a fact.
Some Elk licenses in Colorado are draw only and some are Over the Counter that is a fact.
The numbers of hunters in Colorado continues to increase, that is also a fact.

If you have an "opinion" that differs from the above facts it should be noted it is only your opinion and not based in factual information, merely fiction. If you would like to prove otherwise present actual facts.
As I said you love to disagree and argue that is a given but all too often it isn't a matter of differing opinions you are operating on incorrect information and that is entirely different.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Have you ever hunted with Crazyhorseconsulting? You might change your attitude a bit if you did. This guy sat with me unarmed the whole time we hunted and glassed the area constantly finding game I otherwise (had I been alone) may have missed. He deserves more respect than you give him.

Thanks bwanamrm for the post. It got the wheels turning.
Hope your beating the heat down there.

quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
This is turning from a discussion into an arguement that really is not accomplishing anything for anyone.

Coincidence that once again you are involved?

Thanks for ruining this thread as well.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at this thread with interest and have to agree and disagree. I believe that a lot of young people have lost interest in hunting. In addition, many of the older generations have as well. I think there are several factors:

1- Loss of public land
2- Loss of access to private land due to leasing (which is certainly the right of the land owner).
3- Kids today are too busy with school related- extra-curricular activities (I see this first hand)

However, it is still harder than ever to draw tags. With the population growing, there are still a lot of hunters out there. I do not believe that it will ever get to the point that it will be "easier" to get a tag.

One last thing that I will say is that hunting is harder. Tougher access, more complicated draw processes, time constraints (we are busier than ever). It takes a lot of effort to have a good successful hunt (usually). Many people are not willing to put in the time and work.

Look at Top-Gun for example. I believe he said he comes out west for a few months every year! He knows the state regulations, from what I can see, very well. I am sure he spends a lot of time doing his homework. If an out of state person can hunt this much, and be very successful, that should prove that there are still some great hunting opportunities.

I know the is a bit long winded and a little off track. However, there are a lot of challenges to hunting. If you are willing to put forth an effort, there are opportunities out there....

Posts: 2648 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
it is only your opinion

And I have many times openly stated in various discussions on AR, that I am simply stating MY OPINION, and PERSONAL OPINIONS ARE JUST LIKE ASSHOLES, everyone has them and they STINK.

But it seems really hard to not believe that if so many folks are putting into the draw for only specific units and continue to not get drawn and 50K license are left over, that those two aspects are not going to end up having a detrimental effect on game management in the state. That is just my opinion.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, like I said, dont take it personally , nobody is calling your brother liar, just calling on his BS
Go to Montana FWP website and do research[/QUOTE]

He obviously did take it personally, rather than checking it out to see that you're correct and his brother is wrong! A person can hunt Montana every year on a general license. You can also hunt Wyoming every year like I have for deer, elk, and antelope and I haven't missed a season out there since 1998! CHC also needs to look things up before he posts comments that are totally wrong like he did saying elk in CO are all by draw. He's definitely the worst pessimist I've ever come across and he obviously displays that on every thread he posts in and usually ends up ruining it while blaming others for it! Then he always comes back to say that we can all share our opinions, but in his mind the only opinion that counts and is correct is his and that sucks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Have you ever hunted with Crazyhorseconsulting? You might change your attitude a bit if you did. This guy sat with me unarmed the whole time we hunted and glassed the area constantly finding game I otherwise (had I been alone) may have missed. He deserves more respect than you give him.

quote:
quote:
This is turning from a discussion into an arguement that really is not accomplishing anything for anyone.

What the hell does CHC being able to glass up game for you have a damn thing to do with him being on here always arguing and many times like Snellstrom stated it's based on incorrect information?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Look at Top-Gun for example. I believe he said he comes out west for a few months every year! He knows the state regulations, from what I can see, very well. I am sure he spends a lot of time doing his homework. If an out of state person can hunt this much, and be very successful, that should prove that there are still some great hunting opportunities.

I know the is a bit long winded and a little off track. However, there are a lot of challenges to hunting. If you are willing to put forth an effort, there are opportunities out there....

I've been very lucky to have been able to retire 16 years ago when I was just shy of 55 years of age and have been taking advantage of that and being in good health to go out to Wyoming all of September and October and that will happen again this year. I have a deer tag and two doe antelope tags and could still also buy 2 cow elk tags OTC for the unit we hunt and if I wanted to drive a little ways from where we hunt I could still buy OTC doe deer tags and whitetail tags as well. Last year I was also in Idaho twice helping a friend fill his OIL Shiras bull tag and in AZ helping two friends on their archery bull elk hunts. For me it's not just having a tag of my own to fill, but just having an excuse to get out and see all of God's creations! That was instilled in me when my Dad got me started when I was 5 night hunting behind our 2 coon hounds and I have not looked back since. If the day ever came where I can't go hunting you might as well put a bullet in my head because it's been my main past time for 65 years and will continue to be until I quit breathing.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I would not hunt Florida public lands in gun season. Too many idiots with guns. Many are not hunters but looking for open space to shoot their black rifles.

At least in Florida the gun culture is separating from the hunting culture. Majority of gun owners have little interest in hunting. I don’t think that holds out west or elsewhere.

Hunting historically has been a wealthy landed gentry activity. Only North America and Australia/New Zealand is it an egalitarian activity on state owned land. Maybe we are going back to world in which property ownership (or $$$) gives the right to hunt. There will be pockets of public land hunting.

Hunters as percentage of population will decline. I don’t know how to change that as large segments of population in urban and suburban areas grow disconnected from how protein shows up on their plate.

Things are not all that different here in Texas. As I have said and as bwanamrm pointed out Texas Parks & Wildlife does the best it can to promote hunting and attract young hunters, but they have limitations on what they can accomplish.

As far as what limited amounts of actual Public Land there is in Texas, I have tried it a couple of times and it is crazy.

I have been accused of never saying anything positive and for the most part that is true. I have been a pessimist most of my life and it has served me quite well and from my perspective.

I feel the statements in the quoted response hit the nail on the head all the way around. America and the World is evolving and not really for the good and I just happen to believe that hunting as we have known it and many of us have grown up enjoying is something that is going to be lost and I feel things have already changed too much to revive hunting.

I do not think hunting will completely disappear in the future but it will be under very controlled and limited situations, such as it has been in parts of Europe and England where the commoners/ordinary citizens are not part of the equation.

Actually, many commoners are part of hunting fraternity in Europe in contrary to popular belief Randall
It’s like here, best leases ar expensive, rest in s affordable and even the affordable have excellent hunting, maybe not grand trophies but good and challenging hunts
Biggest issue in Europe is gun ownership, and it’s absolutely a nightmare with tests, gov permits, restrictions of all kind and government inspections by government goons at their whim without knowing before hand

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
The game departments wants to sell licenses and Sports Afield wants to sell magazines. Beyond that, what's the real problem with fewer people taking up hunting? We can all agree that good hunting opportunities are are getting harder to find so is it really a bad thing that the demand drops as the supply diminishes? It's never going to extrapolate down to zero, hunting is an instinct and there will always be those who will answer the call of the wild. I don't know about anyone else but I'm going to go hunting no matter if it is popular or not.

Hunting is not an easy activity. It takes a lot of dedication and effort. I'd rather see fewer but more dedicated hunters than a bunch of warm bodies who would just as much rather be doing something else. But I'm not selling licenses or magazines, either.

As for Europe, I was told a long time ago in hunter safety class how lucky we Americans are. They said that hunting in Europe was beyond the means of not only the "common man" but even professionals such as doctors and engineers. What a bunch of bologna! There is a thriving hunting culture in many European countries despite the population density and draconian gun laws.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Venandi:
The game departments wants to sell licenses and Sports Afield wants to sell magazines. Beyond that, what's the real problem with fewer people taking up hunting? We can all agree that good hunting opportunities are are getting harder to find so is it really a bad thing that the demand drops as the supply diminishes? It's never going to extrapolate down to zero, hunting is an instinct and there will always be those who will answer the call of the wild. I don't know about anyone else but I'm going to go hunting no matter if it is popular or not.

Hunting is not an easy activity. It takes a lot of dedication and effort. I'd rather see fewer but more dedicated hunters than a bunch of warm bodies who would just as much rather be doing something else. But I'm not selling licenses or magazines, either.

As for Europe, I was told a long time ago in hunter safety class how lucky we Americans are. They said that hunting in Europe was beyond the means of not only the "common man" but even professionals such as doctors and engineers. What a bunch of bologna! There is a thriving hunting culture in many European countries despite the population density and draconian gun laws.

Excellent Venandi
My kinda feeling

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
quote:

I've been very lucky to have been able to retire 16 years ago when I was just shy of 55 years of age and have been taking advantage of that and being in good health to go out to Wyoming all of September and October and that will happen again this year. I have a deer tag and two doe antelope tags and could still also buy 2 cow elk tags OTC for the unit we hunt and if I wanted to drive a little ways from where we hunt I could still buy OTC doe deer tags and whitetail tags as well. Last year I was also in Idaho twice helping a friend fill his OIL Shiras bull tag and in AZ helping two friends on their archery bull elk hunts. For me it's not just having a tag of my own to fill, but just having an excuse to get out and see all of God's creations! That was instilled in me when my Dad got me started when I was 5 night hunting behind our 2 coon hounds and I have not looked back since. If the day ever came where I can't go hunting you might as well put a bullet in my head because it's been my main past time for 65 years and will continue to be until I quit breathing.

Good for you Topgun! I hope you many more years of great hunting ahead!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, many commoners are part of hunting fraternity in Europe in contrary to popular belief Randall
It’s like here, best leases ar expensive, rest in s affordable and even the affordable have excellent hunting, maybe not grand trophies but good and challenging hunts
Biggest issue in Europe is gun ownership, and it’s absolutely a nightmare with tests, gov permits, restrictions of all kind and government inspections by government goons at their whim without knowing before hand

I stand corrected, but how much effect does the gun ownership regulations as far as numbers of hunters are concerned?

quote:
hunting is an instinct and there will always be those who will answer the call of the wild

The problem is those numbers are dwindling, and the numbers of hunters to replace all of us that are reaching the end of our hunting days is not increasing.

I will continue hunting as long as I can, but as America becomes more urbanised and rural areas continue to lose population, the instinct to hunt is being bred out of society.

I am not suggesting anyone should throw up their hands and walk away.

But even here in a rural area of Texas, local families have been forced out of hunting. Private landowners view things from two standpoints, they can make good money leasing out the hunting rights to their property and they really do not want to open themselves up to possible lawsuits because someone got hurt.

It is difficult if not impossible to find a land owner that will allow anyone to fish their stock ponds and couple that with the concept that so many folks in this day and time simply do not respect another persons property or realize how special it is to have someone give them permission to access their land.

Yes, I am a First Class A No.1 asshole pessimist, always have been/always will be, but I have had a Ring Side seat for most of my almost 68 years, to witness the changes in attitudes in this part of Texas concerning hunting.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I stand corrected, but how much effect does the gun ownership regulations as far as numbers of hunters are concerned?

quote:
hunting is an instinct and there will always be those who will answer the call of the wild

The problem is those numbers are dwindling, and the numbers of hunters to replace all of us that are reaching the end of our hunting days is not increasing.

I will continue hunting as long as I can, but as America becomes more urbanised and rural areas continue to lose population, the instinct to hunt is being bred out of society.

I am not suggesting anyone should throw up their hands and walk away.

But even here in a rural area of Texas, local families have been forced out of hunting. Private landowners view things from two standpoints, they can make good money leasing out the hunting rights to their property and they really do not want to open themselves up to possible lawsuits because someone got hurt.

It is difficult if not impossible to find a land owner that will allow anyone to fish their stock ponds and couple that with the concept that so many folks in this day and time simply do not respect another persons property or realize how special it is to have someone give them permission to access their land.

Yes, I am a First Class A No.1 asshole pessimist, always have been/always will be, but I have had a Ring Side seat for most of my almost 68 years, to witness the changes in attitudes in this part of Texas concerning hunting.

Do you think you're the only "old timer" on here that has seen exactly what you're mentioning about the changes happening in the last few decades and yet none of the rest of us have the extremely negative attitude you have?!!!

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I for one am eternal optimist
Game numbers up, season is just around the corner, life is good

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Milan, the beauty for me of being a pessimist on an issue, is when things go as everyone hoped for and I am proven wrong.

It is when I am right about something that bothers me.

I am sure that there are areas in America where Sport Hunting will hang on but things are going to change and I personally do not see them changing for the better.

Our society is changing so rapidily in so many ways and so many people in our country are so far removed from the Natural World, that they have no real idea of where humans are supposed to fit into the picture.

Their concepts of nature are developed by watch programs that definitely do not place hunting in a positive light.

Their concepts of Sport is baseball, football, soccer etc. but not an activity where an unwilling "participasnt" dies!

The term "Sport" Hunting projects a negative reaction to a growing number of people.

Many of us that enjoy hunting, grew up hunting and are now facing the time when thru health issues or death we will no longer be able to hunt find it hard to grasp the idea that there are several generations coming along after us that have not hunted and grew up not ever knowing anyone that did hunt.

I just simply can not find anything promising about the future of hunting.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I totally get your point Randall and I’m lucky living in ROcky mountain region where we have it made
Never hunted east of Mississippi and down south but even here private land hunting can be tough as I lost several properties just this year due to being sold to non hunting folks from east coast

“ Hávamál”

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:

One last thing that I will say is that hunting is harder. Tougher access, more complicated draw processes, time constraints (we are busier than ever). It takes a lot of effort to have a good successful hunt (usually). Many people are not willing to put in the time and work.

I think you struck on a key point here Jason. It's well known that our society has become one interested mostly in instant gratification. We have it easy, with almost limitless access to information and "stuff." We've become spoiled by our own success. Case in point - my daughter. She's very busy with school, 16 hours of gymnastics training every week, and raising lambs and chickens for 4-H. She drew an excellent bighorn sheep tag this year and is very excited about the hunt. But when I told her she has to backpack all her gear in about 6 miles, you should have seen her face! It'll be quite a change from our usual comfy wall tent or camper-based hunts! Relatively new hunters see the TV shows and read hunting reports and get the mistaken impression that game animals just come to anyone with a license. When they learn it's not so, some can get disgruntled in a hurry. Luckily mine got over her surprise and is now warming up to a backpack outing. As long as I have some freeze dried ice cream along I think it'll be a smash hit. Smiler

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
Randall - I know I've asked this before but do you believe that sometime in the foreseeable future it will be impossible for a person to hunt anything, anywhere in the USA? How will it happen? What's the end game? Do you think that the number of hunters (now about ~14 million) will continue to fall, eventually to zero? Or will hunting be legislated out of existence I.E. all forms of hunting banned and/or the ownership of a firearm suitable for hunting be made illegal?

I am reminded of an article I read in an 1885 issue of Harper's weekly magazine where the author describes an antelope hunt. At the end of the article he says (paraphrasing) "if the reader is considering a hunt in the western US, he had better do it now for the antelope, and the deer and the elk will soon join the buffalo in extinction." It was a reasonable prediction from the author's point of view because he had no way of knowing about the changes in attitude towards wildlife management that were only a decade or so away.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I see your point Jason P,

But on the other hand. If your willing to spend some time reading and researching all the information you need to go on hunt public land half way across the country is right at your finger tips.

When I started hunting (way before the internet) you would have had to spend a lot of time on the phone just trying to figure out how to get a regulation book, maps etc. etc.

Now I can print all that if I want in a matter of minutes.

The increase in western hunts may be partially attributed to access of info.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
quote:

I think you struck on a key point here Jason. It's well known that our society has become one interested mostly in instant gratification. We have it easy, with almost limitless access to information and "stuff." We've become spoiled by our own success. Case in point - my daughter. She's very busy with school, 16 hours of gymnastics training every week, and raising lambs and chickens for 4-H. She drew an excellent bighorn sheep tag this year and is very excited about the hunt. But when I told her she has to backpack all her gear in about 6 miles, you should have seen her face! It'll be quite a change from our usual comfy wall tent or camper-based hunts! Relatively new hunters see the TV shows and read hunting reports and get the mistaken impression that game animals just come to anyone with a license. When they learn it's not so, some can get disgruntled in a hurry. Luckily mine got over her surprise and is now warming up to a backpack outing. As long as I have some freeze dried ice cream along I think it'll be a smash hit. Smiler

DesertRam:

Excellent points!

Wow, congrat's to you and your daughter on an unbelievable tag. Best of luck and plese post a report!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thunder Head:
I see your point Jason P,

But on the other hand. If your willing to spend some time reading and researching all the information you need to go on hunt public land half way across the country is right at your finger tips.

When I started hunting (way before the internet) you would have had to spend a lot of time on the phone just trying to figure out how to get a regulation book, maps etc. etc.

Now I can print all that if I want in a matter of minutes.

The increase in western hunts may be partially attributed to access of info.

That is a great point! I remember the old days of going to the local newspaper office, looking at a large book to check your draw results.

How times have changed!

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
"The increase in western hunts may be partially attributed to access of info."

Case in point: Prior to the internet I had no idea that reasonably priced guided cow elk hunts existed. Outfitters didn't advertise them in print media and I didn't read hook and bullet magazines anyway. I've gone on 11 such hunts that might not have happened in the pre-internet days.

No longer Bigasanelk

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason P:
I have looked at this thread with interest and have to agree and disagree. I believe that a lot of young people have lost interest in hunting. In addition, many of the older generations have as well. I think there are several factors:

1- Loss of public land
2- Loss of access to private land due to leasing (which is certainly the right of the land owner).
3- Kids today are too busy with school related- extra-curricular activities (I see this first hand)

However, it is still harder than ever to draw tags. With the population growing, there are still a lot of hunters out there. I do not believe that it will ever get to the point that it will be "easier" to get a tag.

This ^^^ is my opinion, laced with facts, as well.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:

DesertRam:

Excellent points!

Wow, congrat's to you and your daughter on an unbelievable tag. Best of luck and plese post a report!

Thanks. It's not as unbelievable as it sounds. I neglected to mention, in this post at least, that she drew a ewe tag. However, she was one of only 30 (and just three youth) to do so, so we're quite excited. And, just because we're not hunting horns doesn't mean we won't have a grand time. As Venandi points out in this thread, there are wonderful, enjoyable, and relatively accessible hunts for "non-trophy" animals that are just as grand as those conducted for big horns or antlers.

I will post a report, hopefully with pictures of my beautiful young lady and a nice fat sheep above timberline in northern New Mexico.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will post a report, hopefully with pictures of my beautiful young lady and a nice fat sheep above timberline in northern New Mexico.

I for one am on the edge of my seat!
Good luck to your daughter.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Randall - I know I've asked this before but do you believe that sometime in the foreseeable future it will be impossible for a person to hunt anything, anywhere in the USA? How will it happen? What's the end game? Do you think that the number of hunters (now about ~14 million) will continue to fall, eventually to zero? Or will hunting be legislated out of existence I.E. all forms of hunting banned and/or the ownership of a firearm suitable for hunting be made illegal?

And I have stated several times and quite plainly, I believe the only hunting that will be available at some point in the FUTURE is only going to be available on Private High Frenced properties, where the animals will be classified as Livestock and NOT Public Property!

I cannot say it any plainer nor can I guess at a time frame! Hopefully it will never happen!

But realistically as our population continues to grow and attitudes toward hunting and firearms continue slipping toward the negative side, things simply do not look promising.

Yes, I believe the numbers of hunters are going to continue to decrease and I believe that the rate of that decrease is going to increase.

Our society is continuing to move away from rural areas and into Urban/Suburban areas, and in too many rural areas, the folks living there cannot gain access to property to hunt on.

This is not something that I HOPE will happen, it is something that I hope DOES NOT happen but at some point people have to face reality and reality is hunting is no longer an intergal part of our society for various reasons.

I hope Americans will never lose the ability or desire to hunt, but I honestly believe that with the direction our society is going the future of hunting is going to be limited to high fenced private property.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

CONGRATULATIONS and I hope she is able to connect.

You are truly Blessed to be able to share this adventure with your daughter. tu2 tu2

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
My point is ... Look for the good in someone, not just dwell on the negative. Most everyone has both. My opinion had improved greatly once I hunted with Randall..
I hope this answers your question.

quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:

quote:
quote:

What the hell does CHC being able to glass up game for you have a damn thing to do with him being on here always arguing and many times like Snellstrom stated it's based on incorrect information?!

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your'e bringing up a dead thread again just to beat a dead horse! I'm living life to it's fullest and if CHC would quit being so pessimistic maybe he could too!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Topgun, you really do not know anything about me and it is useless to say anything to try and get you to understand reality.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Topgun, you really do not know anything about me and it is useless to say anything to try and get you to understand reality.

I know enough about you just from reading the numerous pessimistic posts you've made since I joined this site 7 1/2 years ago to make that comment and now YOU talk about reality, LOL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir, I am a pessimist and I freely admit to it.

What you and a few others simply can not comprehend, is that being a Pessimist, if I am proven WRONG, that is great!!!!!

If I prove to be RIGHT, we all lose.

People like you are unable to comprehend the idea that as a Pessimiost, I hope I am proven WRONG!!!

Unlike you and others, being WRONG is acceptable to me! I DO NOT like being right, because if I am RIGHT that means trhings are as FUCKED UP as many believe they are!

Accepting being WRONG on an issue is something you and your ilk will never understand!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes Sir, I am a pessimist and I freely admit to it.

What you and a few others simply can not comprehend, is that being a Pessimist, if I am proven WRONG, that is great!!!!! Y

If I prove to be RIGHT, we all lose.

People like you are unable to comprehend the idea that as a Pessimiost, I hope I am proven WRONG!!!

Unlike you and others, being WRONG is acceptable to me! I DO NOT like being right, because if I am RIGHT that means trhings are as FUCKED UP as many believe they are!

Accepting being WRONG on an issue is something you and your ilk will never understand!

I think I've read that same thing from you before and just LOL because all I can say is that if you really believe that you are one sad feller! You're also wrong in that I can certainly accept it if I'm wrong on something because we should all be willing to learn from our mistakes. You, on the other hand, say that you seem to enjoy being wrong and that is freaking weird in my book and probably most everyone else's too!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think what you like that is your prerogative, each of us have own life to live and for me being proven wrong about something does not disappoint me.

I have watched too many optomistic people crash and burn when things did not turn the way they hoped they would.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever as the kids say nowadays! Have a good weekend!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
quote:

DesertRam:

Excellent points!

Wow, congrat's to you and your daughter on an unbelievable tag. Best of luck and please post a report!

Thanks. It's not as unbelievable as it sounds. I neglected to mention, in this post at least, that she drew a ewe tag. However, she was one of only 30 (and just three youth) to do so, so we're quite excited. And, just because we're not hunting horns doesn't mean we won't have a grand time. As Venandi points out in this thread, there are wonderful, enjoyable, and relatively accessible hunts for "non-trophy" animals that are just as grand as those conducted for big horns or antlers.

Nothing wrong with that! Spending time with family, your daughter having a tag.... hard to get better than that! She will have hunted more sheep than I ever have!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about anyone else on here, but for me getting drawn for a tag on a limited entry hunt of ANY kind is better than Christmas.

Since I never had kids I am sure having one of your children draw a tag and your knowing that you will be able to help them try and fill it is a Lifetime dream and memory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't know about anyone else on here, but for me getting drawn for a tag on a limited entry hunt of ANY kind is better than Christmas.

Since I never had kids I am sure having one of your children draw a tag and your knowing that you will be able to help them try and fill it is a Lifetime dream and memory.

On that we can certainly agree CHC!!!

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. Not sure where I read a similar article recently (American Hunter?) but the writer basically pointed out that focusing on children to increase interest in hunting was not sustainable and that most "take a child hunting" programs ended up with kids from hunting families being the majority. The writer said we should actually focus on millennials. This adult group has money to go hunting so they don't depend on someone to take them and supply the kit. They also have more interest in "organic meat" and the outdoor experience vs a big trophy. I thought it was an interesting article.

I have two young men that report directly to me that I have been giving game meat to for a few years. They always ask about it and enjoy it. Both are from non-hunting, non-gun owning families. I took them shooting a few times recently and that sparked them to take a hunter's safety course and conceal carry course. I will be taking them to our west Texas lease to hopefully kill some game this season. By the way, they both have children. This is my limited attempt at educating some new hunters/gun owners and hopefully increasing our numbers.

I do not think hunting is going away anytime soon. However, if we want to avoid draconian rules and restrictions, it would be in our best interest to bring new people into the fold and police our ranks of those that give our sport (and firearms ownership) a bad name. We can forget about winning over the emotionally charged liberal. Let's bring in those that just don't know.

Safe shooting and safe travels...……..Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote