New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I typically am not to introspective, nor do I usally have to many bones to pick or make negative posts. However, as I am sitting here in a state that is not part of the continental US, and have had a couple of adult beverages, and responded to a post titled "is this real texas hunting" I thought I might ramble a little. So pardon the rant, but I thought I would get this out of my craw.

In 2007, I spent 10 days hunting between Montrose and Ouray Colorado. In November of this year I hunted near Gardiner Montana for 8 days.
In Colorado, during all that time, I saw 5 elk and a black bear during the first 15 minutes of the season. Two days later after fighting off a half dozen public lands hunters who wanted to set up 50 yds from me (its public land don't ya know)I saw a mule deer. During this period I did not see rabbits, birds, squirrel, birds of prey, buzzards, coyotes or any other critter.
While in Montana, I saw bighorn sheep and elk, 10 miles away in Yellowstone park and a grizzly feeding on gut piles. I guess I was a victim of unrealistic expectations as most of the mule deer I saw were does that I could ride up to within 10 yds on a horse. Talk about sporting. The two by two that I shot, simply to give to the guides grandma, stood there while I got off my horse, got my rifle out of the scabbard, took my backpack off my back, sat down on a rock, took my scope covers off my rifle, took my shooting sticks out of my pack, loaded a round in the chamber, waited five more minutes for doe to clear then shot at 150 yds. White tail deer tied to a feeder would be more sporting. During the 8 days I hunted the area, there were about thirty hunters in the area. Two bulls were killed. If they are't there, ya can't pull them out of your ass. At least we have game 24/7/12 in Texas. I ended up cooking for fourteen people the last two days rather than hunting out of a sense of self preservation. I guess people in Montana don't know about seasoning.
I figure I've spent close to $10,000 on hunts in Colorado and Montana the last two years and have shot one mule deer. The closest I've ever come to thinking I had sinned with a rifle or being ashamed of shooting an animal was when I shot that mule deer. That afternoon I told my guide I was done and I'd had my fill. I saw some beautiful country and met some fine people and had a ball, but when it comes to hunting, I'll take Texas any day. Maybe we don't have free ranging elk, bear or buffalo, but its not unusual to go out and see hawks, owls, turkey, dove, quail, fox, coyotes, squirrel, deer, audad sheep, and hogs, all in one day. And thats just riding around, not necessarily hunting.

Here are a few pics. These animals are just a few of those that I have taken fair chase off a low fenced 3000 acre ranch in the Texas hill country during the last several years. I pay an annual trespass fee of $1600.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good post Geedubya. You are a blessed man to hunt the country you do!

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
We hunt in Texas every year and we always have a good time. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. If you don't like, don't hunt there. As for me, I be hunting in Texas again in 2009/2010.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Hunting in Texas, Is What It Is.

Does everyone, including quite a few Texans, like it, no.

Do a lot of folks, both Texans and folks from lots of other places like it, You Damn Right They Do.

Many folks talk down about Texans and the way we hunt, but in most cases, our hunting, is dictated by the landowner or the other folks we are on a lease with, or the various goverment entities that are over the very limited amount of Public Land in Texas that is open to hunting.

I have hunted Colorado several times, I have also hunted Wyoming and Nebraska and in Canada a couple of times.

While I enjoyed all those hunts and was fairly successful, I still enjoy hunting right here in Texas, always have, always will.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA DEER HUNTER:
We hunt in Texas every year and we always have a good time. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. If you don't like, don't hunt there. As for me, I be hunting in Texas again in 2009/2010.

welcome to Texas glad you like to hunt here and hope you come back as often as you can.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
GWB-

Thanks for that excellent post. thumb

While I admit a deep affliction for Wyoming, things are pretty nice here as well. Texas is my home, and the hunting here for me has been pretty decent...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my way of looking at it is - at least you're hunting! usually with your kids!

it beats the hell out of doing drugs, both for you and your kids.

(when i say "you," i mean that in the general sense!)

by the way, your experience in montana was NOT typical. if you ever get up this way, i'd be happy to show you the difference!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tas,
I did not mean to sound critical of Montana. As I said in my post I had a ball. I had been on a public lands hunt a year earlier in Colorado with some older guys that really weren't interested in hunting hard. Enjoyed the scenery, but not much else. This time I purchased a fully guided hunt with an outfitter, and bought an outfitter sponsored combo elk/mule deer tag. It was to be an early season hunt, packing in 11 miles on horses and hunting. My understanding was that the peak of the elk rut in the Asoroka-Beartooth wilderness, where we were to hunt, was around the 21st to 25th of September, right when I would be there. I was really looking forward to it. Then hurricane Ike hit and I didn't feel right leaving my wife, elderly parents and my tenants (all of whom were without power), to deal with the aftermath of this storm. Many people in or area were without power for two weeks. I called the outfitter and asked if I could reschedule the hunt. He agreed and I went between the 8th and 19th of November.
I was ready for this hunt. I had worked on getting in shape and I felt like I did pretty good for an old flat lander. I also had my mind right as I went for the whole experience rather than having my total focus on killing a buck or bull.
I got there a day early and went out glassing with a guide. I hunted on horse back, on foot, and drove the roads in a truck basically all day Monday through Sunday. Evidently this area (Deckerd Flats) has quite a few mule deer ( I passed on two better bucks than I ended up taking), but the elk hunting is a migration type hunt. That is to say that if the weather has not pushed the elk down out of Yellowstone there are very few cows or bulls in the area. My guide was a very knowledgeable and capable young man that did every thing I asked. He tried his best to put me on a bull. In the end, I think he was much more discouraged than I. I explained to him that he nor I had nothing to be ashamed of or regret about my eight day hunt.
In my world I do not get to:
ride over icy trails on the side of cliffs, ford icy streams, by truck, much less on horseback.
get between a grizzly and a gut pile,and have to back out of an area after walking in a couple of miles uphill in the snow.
See big horn sheep and cow elk on the side of a mountain.
See snow cover peaks disappearing in the clouds or watch snow blow in and white out everything.
As I said, I ended up putting down my rifle after I shot that mule deer buck. The weather wasn’t cooperating and I decided I would have more fun cooking for everyone. In fact they enjoyed my cooking so much that they invited me back to cook for them when they go to their Hellroaring camp in the back country next September. I plan to do just that. I may not even hunt, but cook and fish. I made some good friends and saw some wonderful people. Maybe I’ll get a chance to hook up with you then.
GWB

PS: However, everything being the same, I still like hunting Texas best!

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted all over the US,including Texas, Canada, and Alaska,and all I can say is that I can't wait to go back to Texas. People may criticize the way that Texans conduct their hunting, but in my eyes, Texas hunting is tops. There's something about being in the field not knowing WHAT might step out of the brush that leaves you buzzing with anticipation every minute when out in the field. I've also found Texans to be among the friendliest people I have ever met. I'll take a seat in a box blind over a feeder in Texas anytime over an overcrowded block of public land in the lower 48 or Canada.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted all over Texas and I do love hunting here but I still enjoy traveling to new territory to hunt in. I'm hoping to get in on a mule deer or a bear hunt this year in WY or MT.

Now, I'm going to pass along a dirty little secret. A LOT of the Elk that are taken in Colorado, even the free ranging ones, were transplanted from ranches in TX.
I've heard of this in other states but I know of one particular place in CO where the Elk were origionally from TX.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, I'm going to pass along a dirty little secret. A LOT of the Elk that are taken in Colorado, even the free ranging ones, were transplanted from ranches in TX.

I am gonna call bsflag on that statement.

There are stories floating around like that all over the place, but when a person really checks into it, it turns out to be bogus.

Not meaning to see this thread wander from its original theme, but there were never that many captive elk in texas to get a founder group going in Colorado and evolving into the numbers there are today.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That has got to be one of the dumbest comments ever posted on this entire site. And that takes some doing.

According to the Colorado Division of Wildlife, the 2007 census of game populations showed 292,000 elk in the state. The average year round harvest runs over 50,000 head. That means Colorado kills more elk every year than even exist in Texas. You would have to be a bloody IDIOT to say that any substantial number of these 50,000 elk come from ranches in a state that does not even have that many elk within its borders.

Open mouth, insert foot. How'd it taste?

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazyhorse and Mac,

I didn't say ALL elk in CO but there have been many transplants made. My brother killed a very nice bull up there a few years ago, I forget the name of the ranch, but it wasn't fenced.
Anyway, after the kill the rancher told him that the bull he killed, and several others in the herd, had origionally come from TX.

And the statement that there arent enough elk in TX to transplant is patently false.
I know where there are free ranging Elk in West TX and several loose in South East TX along the Brazos river. I'm not giving up the location of the ones on the Brazos because I don't want them killed. A LOT of ranches in TX raise elk to be sold. My dad's brother raises them and sells them all the time.

I don't make statements that aren't fact. I've been to the Exotic auctions and seen 5th wheel trailer loads of elk being bought and sold, have you? Some are for here in TX and others are taken to ranches in CO because they need to restock, in a hurry, what what just killed the past season. My foot tastes a lot like Elk meat, marinaded in Lone Star beer.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Ryan is right about this-----we have been approached about raising elk as well. 2 years ago during the summer a cow elk was seen on our place in north central Texas...

Never saw it again but if we did it would be in the freezer!!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still ain't buying that. Sorry, I am sure the folks that told you that stuff was telling it for the gospel truth, if you want to believe them, that is okay, but I was born in 1950 and started hunting in 1966.

I have never ran across anything where elk were taken from Texas and moved to Colorado by anyone.

I have also been hunting elk off and on, since 1992, with an outfitter that has over 40 years of experience in western Colorado, he was born and raised there, and he has not heard of any such deals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for your remark about the auctions, that is one that I also don't agree with.

As far as I know, with the CWD scare at this time, cervids, Deer and Elk, especially Game farm Raised animals can not be transported into or out of either Texas or Colorado.

I did not accuse you of lying, I am saying you got hold of some wrong information.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
You may be right about taking the Elk across state lines. Just called our TPW Biologist and asked him and he said he would make sure but thought that with the CWD it was locked down.

He may stop by the ranch this weekend and we will discuss more but the Elk that are raised in Texas can move within the state. FWIW

I just hope another gets out of it's high fence boundry and gives me a shot at it!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
You may be right about taking the Elk across state lines. Just called our TPW Biologist and asked him and he said he would make sure but thought that with the CWD it was locked down.

He may stop by the ranch this weekend and we will discuss more but the Elk that are raised in Texas can move within the state. FWIW

I just hope another gets out of it's high fence boundry and gives me a shot at it!!!!

LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE HERE NEEDS SOME SALT AND PEPPER FOR HIS SHOE HE IS GOING TO HAVE TO EAT!!!

HERE IS THE REGULATION From the Colorado DOW it can be done it is just involved:

ARTICLE VI - TERRESTRIAL WILDLIFE
#007 – IMPORTATION OF TERRESTRIAL WILDLIFE
A. Prior to importation of wildlife an importation permit must be obtained from the Division and
the State Veterinarian.
B. An appropriate commercial or noncommercial parks license or an alternative livestock facility
license from the Dept. of Agriculture must be in possession prior to importation. Only animals
in the same scientific family as animals approved on the parks licenses or scientific collecting
license can be imported.
C. All wild ungulates imported into Colorado must be marked with USDA official eartags.
D. All wildlife imported into Colorado must be examined by an accredited veterinarian prior to
importation and must be accompanied by a valid, preapproved health certificate certifying
disease-free status. Minimum specific disease testing results and/or health statements must
be included on health certificates for:
1. All captive wild ungulates shall:
a. Test negative for brucellosis. The health certificate completed by an accredited
veterinarian must include the signed statement that "To the best of my knowledge,
animals listed herein are not infected with Paratuberculosis (Johnes Disease) and
have not been exposed to animals infected with Paratuberculosis."
b. Test negative for bovine tuberculosis using USDA-approved testing procedures
appropriate for species in question not more than 60 days prior to importation and
must originate from a herd which has had a negative complete herd test for tuberculosis
within the past 12 months. A "complete herd test" is defined as tuberculosis
testing of all ruminants and camelids on a premises (except domestic cattle, Bison,
sheep and goats) using USDA-approved testing procedures appropriate for species in
question where all testing is completed during a period not exceeding six (6)
consecutive months; or
c. Originate from a bovine tuberculosis-free herd accredited by another state or province
which meets the standards for testing or their equivalent as set forth in (2) above.
d. Appropriate USDA-approved testing procedures are limited to those referenced in
section #006(5)(E) above and others prescribed by the federal Veterinary Service as
set forth in Appendix B to this regulation.
2. Testing for bovine tuberculosis in other mammalian species may be required prior to
importation if there is reason to suspect that such animals may be infected with the
disease.
3. All wild species in the sub families Meleagridinae (wild turkey) and Tetraoninae (grouse):
Tested negative for Mycoplasma gallisepticum, M. synoviae, M. meleagridis and
Salmonella pullorum. For groups of grouse imported from the same source in a single
shipment, testing is required for only 25% (one of every four) of those birds.
4. All elk (Cervus elaphus) must be tested prior to importation for evidence of red deer
hybridization. Any animal testing positive for red deer hybridization shall not be allowed to
be imported into Colorado.
5. The offspring of any female elk must be tested for red deer hybridization, at the owner's
expense, by December 31 of the year of birth if the calf results from a pregnancy which
existed prior to the female elk being imported into Colorado.
6. Any offspring, described in 4(e) above, testing positive for red deer hybridization, must be
removed from the State of Colorado, at the owner's expense, by June 1 of the year
following the year of birth. In all cases, the Division of Wildlife will not compensate
owners for these animals.
E. Additional disease testing may be required at the discretion of the Director of the Division of
Wildlife by written notification prior to importation, when there is reason to believe other
diseases, parasites or other health risks are present. (e.g. recent outbreak of a disease not
listed in this section.)
F. All imported wild ungulates, turkeys, and grouse must be held in isolation from other wildlife
on the operator's premises for at least thirty (30) consecutive days upon importation into
Colorado. Animals obtained from free-ranging wild stock by state or federal agencies are
exempt from the isolation period.
G. At least seven (7) days prior to the proposed importation date all persons desiring to import
raptors into Colorado must properly complete a Raptor Importation form. All raptors imported
into Colorado must have veterinary certificates certifying the birds are disease free.
H. CWD Surveillance and Status Requirements
1. Any facility from which deer or elk are imported into Colorado shall be subjected to at
least sixty (60) months of documented surveillance for chronic wasting disease (CWD)
prior to any importation of deer or elk into Colorado unless the Division and the Dept. of
Agriculture agree that movement from a facility with less than 60 months surveillance
presents a negligible risk taking into consideration predation, theft or other relevant
factors. Determination of when a facility meets the sixty (60) month minimum surveillance
period shall be based on the age of the animals on the facility, the source facility of the
animals, and the length of the surveillance program of the source facility(ies). Every
individual in the source herd must meet the sixty month surveillance requirement; except
for young born into a herd during the sixty month surveillance period, provided that all
other deer and elk on the source facility during that time period and all deer and elk
imported into the source facility during that time period also meet the sixty (60) month
requirement. No deer or elk may be imported into Colorado from a facility that has tested
positive for CWD. Provided further that no importation will be permitted anytime a new
CWD diagnosis is made in any captive wildlife facility in any state or country until all
tracebacks have been completed and CWD free status has been confirmed for all source
facilities.
2. For the purpose of maintaining 60 months CWD-free status, records must positively
account for all animals and cause of death. If any animals remain untested or
unaccounted for or cause of death is otherwise unknown or in question, status is
adversely impacted and reduced to the date the untested or unaccounted for animal or
animal with the unknown or questionable cause of death was introduced into the herd,
unless the Division and the Dept. of Agriculture agree otherwise, taking into consideration
the possibility of predation, theft, or other relevant factors. Any deer or elk imported into
Colorado in violation of this standard, or any pre-existing standard, or for which
documentation does not exist which clearly establishes compliance with said standard
must be immediately destroyed and tested for CWD, and the facility shall be placed under
quarantine immediately upon discovery of the violation. The quarantine shall not be
released until test results show that CWD has not been detected in any of the subject
animals. The status of the receiving herd may be reduced up to 0 months. If CWD is
detected in any of them, the quarantine remains in effect, and all private deer and elk that
have come into contact with any of them must be immediately destroyed and tested for
CWD. In all such cases, there shall be no obligation for the state to compensate the
owner of the animals.
a. State operated CWD surveillance program:
Facilities seeking to import deer or elk into Colorado shall submit documentation from
the state or province of origin’s animal health or wildlife management agencies to the
Division regarding its compliance with at least a sixty (60) month CWD surveillance
program. The program must require that participating facilities have a mechanism for
individual animal identification and submit complete inventory records for all such
deer and elk on the facility, including all additions, exports and mortalities; and copies
of the results of any animal inventory or records audits and verification records; for at
least the previous sixty (60) months, and laboratory reports documenting the absence
of CWD lesions, after microscopic evaluation of brain tissues by an accredited
veterinary diagnostic laboratory, in all adult (16 months of age or older) deer and elk
dying of any cause over the required surveillance period.
b. Case by case review:
In the absence of a state operated CWD surveillance program, the facility must have
a mechanism for individual animal identification and shall submit to the Division
complete records for all such deer and elk on the facility, including all additions,
exports and mortalities; and copies of the results of any animal inventory or records
audits and verification records; for at least the previous sixty (60) months; and
individually identified laboratory reports documenting the absence of CWD lesions,
after microscopic evaluation of brain tissues by an accredited veterinary diagnostic
laboratory, in all adult (16 months of age or older) deer and elk dying of any cause
over the required surveillance period.
I. If the Division and the Dept. of Agriculture fail to reach agreement on matters requiring both
agencies’ approval in this rule, the matter shall be presented to the Commissioner of
Agriculture and the Director of the Division for review. The Director and the Commissioner
shall render a decision within 5 working days. Failure to agree shall result in a denial of the
requested action and shall constitute final agency action.
J. It shall be unlawful to import dead deer or elk from any other state or country from a game
management unit, or equivalent wildlife management unit as defined by that state or country,
which has been diagnosed as positive for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) in the wild, except
for the following portions of the carcass:
1. Meat that is cut and wrapped (either commercially or privately).
2. Quarters or other portions of meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached.
3. Meat that has been boned out.
4. Hides with no heads attached.
5. Clean (no meat or tissue attached) skull plates with antlers attached.
6. Antlers with no meat or tissue attached.
7. Upper canine teeth, also known as "buglers", "whistlers", or "ivories".
8. Finished taxidermied heads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I openly admit that I could be or am wrong about the movement of Elk or other Cervids into Colorado, but as you will notice, BEFORE you start trying to tell anyone they need to season up a shoe, It Is NOT A Case Of Simply Loading Up A Trailer Load Of Elk And heading For Colorado With Them, NOW IS IT??????

I still maintain, that yours and Hoss Fly's remarks about Colorado being populated with elk originally from Texas, is pure bsflag, that was passed along to you and him or whoever, and you all took it for gospel.

As far as I know, the only thing Colorado is Thankful about concerning Texas has been all the $$$$$$$$$$ that Texas hunters spend up their during the seasons.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I openly admit that I could be or am wrong about the movement of Elk or other Cervids into Colorado, but as you will notice, BEFORE you start trying to tell anyone they need to season up a shoe, It Is NOT A Case Of Simply Loading Up A Trailer Load Of Elk And heading For Colorado With Them, NOW IS IT??????

I still maintain, that yours and Hoss Fly's remarks about Colorado being populated with elk originally from Texas, is pure bsflag, that was passed along to you and him or whoever, and you all took it for gospel.

As far as I know, the only thing Colorado is Thankful about concerning Texas has been all the $$$$$$$$$$ that Texas hunters spend up their during the seasons.

Now let's be truthful here------the only thing I said was that Elk are raised commercially (not that they were populated from Texas stock) and they are sold to different buyers as deer are. It is a very profitable business but it requires a lot of up front expense and a lot of work with biologists and other cognizant professionals in this line of work.

Now you are saying that I was a part of the comments posted by others and I was not so-----------by trying to divert attention to me (because you shot off you mouth before engaging brain and looked like a boob) just because I agreed that Elk Ranching is something that goes on here will not wash. Never did I comment on the discrete regulations or commensurate tasks associated with this business but I did know it existed. Just because I was curious and wanted to know more detail did a little research and contacted some people who work with us in our game management program. As a result it shows that you are one that likes to speak about subjects that one knows very little.

The lesson in humility is over for today—you are dismissed. homer

Oh BTW you are wrong. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This would not be the first time I was wrong about something, and including you, NO ONE has taught me humility yet.

Nice segway to try and turn the conversation intio something thatt is not what i threw the bsflag on.

Try reading this as a little memory refresher:

quote:
I've heard of this in other states but I know of one particular place in CO where the Elk were origionally from TX.

http://www.hossfly.com
Ryan 'Hossfly' Campbell
979 777 1725

Now everything else that has came up between that comment and your last post, has only shown me that you want to try and twist things around.

The subject concerned Ryan's comment about where the elk in Colorado had came from.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I am going to work on round 2 of working up loads for the 6.5 WSM today and maybe kill a few hogs while huntng this afternoon. Will have to let this one go till Sunday----comng home to take my girls to the Bass Hall to watch the Nutcracker!! Oh Boy!! dancing Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb

Best of luck on the loads for your gun and taking out some oinkers, Sorry about the ballet, at least you will spend some quality time with your girls.

one of us
posted Hide Post
gee - see my PM! it's all good! beer

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Geedubya:

Beautiful white-tails you got there. My 12 y/o just shot his first deer last week in Northern Pennsylvania where we froze our asses off. I told the two boys (12 & 14) that perhaps next year we can hunt white-tails and hogs in Texas where it is warmer and flatter.

Would love any information of any good outfitters I can contact regarding setting up a hunt for the 3 of us.

Thanks, Wayne

>
I'd rather be a CONSERVATIVE NUTJOB than a Liberal with no NUTS & No JOB
>

Posts: 643 | Location: Somewhere Out There | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post

OUTSTANDING!!!

and my favorite eating critter, to boot

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't know another state with such a diverse population of free ranging exotics. Axis have pretty much dominated the Hill Country and thrive in smaller but substantial numbers in many parts of the state. Ditto blackbuck, aoudad, fallow and many more. Nilgai roam the southern part of the state and many species of African plains game free-roam the west. Plus yotes, p-dogs, foxes, cats big and small and small game.

All of these exotic animals, predators and most small game are available to hunt year-round on private land along with feral hogs, goats and some corsicans.

12/24/7; what's not to love?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I have lived in Ouray, Colorado for 7 years. I had never hunted elk in my life prior to moving here. The first season I was completely overwhelmed by the amount of public land available and had no idea where to start. I finally just picked a trail leading out of town and started hiking with a tent on my back heading into the National Forest. Over the next two days I saw two bears, 15 elk, a dozen bighorn sheep, probably 20 mule deer and not one hunter. I killed a nice 5-point bull on the second morning at 9:00 and passed on several bucks afraid of how in the heck I was going to pack everything out. The hunting was so frigging amazing I felt like I was doing something wrong! I remember just repeating to my self "paradise, paradise" as I was packing out my first elk.

Over the last 5 years I have killed a bear that squared 7'3", 3 mule deer bucks, 3 bull elk, 1 cow elk and I have missed archery shots on at least 3 other elk. All of these animals have been on public land except for the last two elk that were taken on an island of private land surrounded by BLM and NF in an OTC unit. I have not had a single season where I did not see multiple legal bulls and bucks. I could kill a bear everytime I had a tag if I was inclined to. There are turkeys all over the place. Anyone who does a bit of research and puts in some effort will see animals here.

My point is that your experiences in Colorado may have more to do with where and how you hunted than on the numbers of animals here. I have done the Texas thing and it was fun but twice was enough for me.

Took this shot last night out of my kitchen window.

Took this 5 minutes ago after whistling out the back door. Seriously.

If Texas is the end all, then why are there so dang many Texans living and hunting here?!

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Post.

I was born and raised in Texas and have never thought seriously about moving away.

While there are many opportunities to hunt a wide variety of animals here, in nearly all instances it boils down to having the $$$$$ to do it.

While it costs $$$ to hunt Colorado or Wyoming or Nebraska, there is just a special feeling to hunting on large expanses of Public land and taking game there, that really can not be matched by setting in a stand watching a feeder. JMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
I typically am not to introspective, nor do I usally have to many bones to pick or make negative posts. However, as I am sitting here in a state that is not part of the continental US, and have had a couple of adult beverages, and responded to a post titled "is this real texas hunting" I thought I might ramble a little. So pardon the rant, but I thought I would get this out of my craw.

In 2007, I spent 10 days hunting between Montrose and Ouray Colorado. In November of this year I hunted near Gardiner Montana for 8 days.
In Colorado, during all that time, I saw 5 elk and a black bear during the first 15 minutes of the season. Two days later after fighting off a half dozen public lands hunters who wanted to set up 50 yds from me (its public land don't ya know)I saw a mule deer. During this period I did not see rabbits, birds, squirrel, birds of prey, buzzards, coyotes or any other critter.
While in Montana, I saw bighorn sheep and elk, 10 miles away in Yellowstone park and a grizzly feeding on gut piles. I guess I was a victim of unrealistic expectations as most of the mule deer I saw were does that I could ride up to within 10 yds on a horse. Talk about sporting. The two by two that I shot, simply to give to the guides grandma, stood there while I got off my horse, got my rifle out of the scabbard, took my backpack off my back, sat down on a rock, took my scope covers off my rifle, took my shooting sticks out of my pack, loaded a round in the chamber, waited five more minutes for doe to clear then shot at 150 yds. White tail deer tied to a feeder would be more sporting. During the 8 days I hunted the area, there were about thirty hunters in the area. Two bulls were killed. If they are't there, ya can't pull them out of your ass. At least we have game 24/7/12 in Texas. I ended up cooking for fourteen people the last two days rather than hunting out of a sense of self preservation. I guess people in Montana don't know about seasoning.
I figure I've spent close to $10,000 on hunts in Colorado and Montana the last two years and have shot one mule deer. The closest I've ever come to thinking I had sinned with a rifle or being ashamed of shooting an animal was when I shot that mule deer. That afternoon I told my guide I was done and I'd had my fill. I saw some beautiful country and met some fine people and had a ball, but when it comes to hunting, I'll take Texas any day. Maybe we don't have free ranging elk, bear or buffalo, but its not unusual to go out and see hawks, owls, turkey, dove, quail, fox, coyotes, squirrel, deer, audad sheep, and hogs, all in one day. And thats just riding around, not necessarily hunting.

Here are a few pics. These animals are just a few of those that I have taken fair chase off a low fenced 3000 acre ranch in the Texas hill country during the last several years. I pay an annual trespass fee of $1600.
GWB

Dont sound like the same Montana I hunt in.I shot a Nice 4X4 Mulie on a do it your self hunt.Shot Fox,got a Turkey,Pheasants,Sharptail.Was pretty busy for 10 days.Screw them guides,I will meet you there and introduce you to some fine folks.I never hunted Texas,mainly because I hear there is not much for Public Hunting there.You sure got some nice animals. OB Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Was at the ranch last weekend and this guy with about 30 of his girlfriends showed up. Now I know what has been mowing down the food plots! Should make a nice mount.

Tough to figure how they got in because of the brush along some of the fences -- oh well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking Ram, Congratulations. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BossHoss,
Good looking ram. Its amazing where those dudes can go and their climbing ability. Used to shoot a bunch, but the leases I'm on now do not have any. Marinated backstrap off those dudes can be pretty tasty.
Details man, details. What rifle/caliber/load
distance etc. Fill in the details. (and remember that a lie well told will serve as good as the truth any day)
Anyway, Good looking ram. Its amazing where those dudes can go and their climbing ability. Used to shoot a bunch, but the leases I'm on now do not have any. Marinated backstrap off those dudes can be pretty tasty.
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there are ANY elk killed in CO that originally came from Tx, you can guarantee without one single doubt it was on an over priced canned ranch hunt. We have the largest population of elk in the world, these Tx imports are probably the tinniest fraction of a percentage to the millionth decibel of the numbers here. These are easy hunts for the rich who want to kill a certain predetermined size elk in 1 day, and spend the rest of the week in a 5 star "lodge".

GW - sorry your success wasn't better....you got spoiled by Texas. I'm in no way putting your down or belittling your personal experiences, I enjoy your posts! But, it is what it is, public land hunting in Tx is slim pickens (this is according to my Tx hunting buddies who trek to colorado every year and are successful enough to keep coming back) and you get what you pay for. Out here, at least for public land or at least free range private trespass fee land, you get what you WORK for. Its hunting, not shooting.

PS - there is lots of game around just like in Tx. You can see 'yotes, sheep, goats, elk, deer, antelope, grouse, turkey, lions and a host of other critters...in the right season lol. Gotta remember, when it snows, most of that stuff ain't gonna be out and about.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
geedubya:
Keep up the good work!!
Everytime I read one of your posts,I have more respect for you as a hunter,sportsman ,and gentleman.

crazyhorse:
" there is just a special feeling to hunting on large expanses of Public land and taking game there, that really can not be matched by setting in a stand watching a feeder. JMO."
Wink I know just how you feel!!

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
BossHoss,
Good looking ram. Its amazing where those dudes can go and their climbing ability. Used to shoot a bunch, but the leases I'm on now do not have any. Marinated backstrap off those dudes can be pretty tasty.
Details man, details. What rifle/caliber/load
distance etc. Fill in the details. (and remember that a lie well told will serve as good as the truth any day)
Anyway, Good looking ram. Its amazing where those dudes can go and their climbing ability. Used to shoot a bunch, but the leases I'm on now do not have any. Marinated backstrap off those dudes can be pretty tasty.
GWB

The rifle is chambered in Warp 7 which is a improved 300 Win mag, Krieger tube, Jewell trigger HS Bottom metal, McMillan stock, Kodiak action built by Speedy.

This was a very short shot 100yds and the rifle is zeroed for 500. Load pushes a 150 SMK at 3390 and dropped him like a stone. Was not expecting to hunt where I would need a short range rifle this last weekend but stuff happens.

Oh yeah---shot him while hanging upside down in a dead oak tree!! Yeah that's it!!!!!! shocker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BossHoss,

I'm one of those that Randy Newman sings about in his song "Short People".
That seems to be my karma. I'm eithe too short or two short. Most of the varmints I shoot are at short range and most of the deer hogs and turkey I shoot are at ranges under 200 yds. So being somewhat shortsighted and short on imigination please forgive my shortcomings if I ask whether you hold over or hold under when shooting a long range rifle, loaded for long range shots using a long range bullet (smk's) while hanging upside down, either high up or low down from an oak tree branch.
GWB
PS, a short answer in a short time would be appreciated as I have to leave shortly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BossHoss,
on short reflection, I think If I was hanging upside down I would just hold on.
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BH - I'm curious....how does one improve the 300 WM? Doesn't that case already have very slim taper and sharp shoulders?

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
BH - I'm curious....how does one improve the 300 WM? Doesn't that case already have very slim taper and sharp shoulders?

This was designed as a 1K BR cartridge by Speedy and we tested it in this rifle first. Note the hand writing on the drawing (neck dimension)---that is the change for the BR version of this. Less case stretch plus picked up about 6% volume and it is a 7MM.