Find
Notify
Tools

Kifarou light rifles: what say you??
 Login/Join

<Jordan>
posted
Gentlemen:

Came across a web sight last night for an outfit called Kifarou in Colorado. They market several products (packs, tents, etc.) for extreme light weight, high altitude hunting. They also build a 4 lb 8 oz rifle with a very novel stock design. Basically, there is no forend. The stock ends just in front of the recoil lug and then there is a flat protrusion extending our maybe 6.0 inches. The protrusion is what one grasps as a foreend, but it does not wrap around the barrel at all. Indeed, there is a space between this flat protrusion and the barrel. It also has a sling swivel on it.

The barrel is very thin and has a length of carbon fiber fitted over the first half or so of the barrel to stiffen it. The actions look seriously canibalized---the Rem actions are clearly turned down between the bridges. All in all I've never seen light weight taken to such an extreme. Anyone know about the performance of these rifles? They are pricey---$3200.00.

Thanks,

Jordan

<cyberhick>
posted
i've read a few reviews of them. they seems to be good rifles, accurate (MOA @ 100yds)and easy to back. I like how you can switch the barrels for different calibers. Its a neat idea, but too pricey for me. If i wanted to be able to switch calibers, i'd just buy a T/C Encore, buy extra barrels, and put a serious scope on it, and still save a few thousand dollars.
cyberhick

<allen day>
posted
I'm sure these are good rifles, but they're just too off-beat for me.

AD

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Damn funky looking fellas.

I'd buy a bunch of them cheap ass Remingtons.

------------------
Ignorance is curable, but stupidity is terminal.

<Bill>
posted
What is teh website??

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Patrick Smith is an innovator. I've posted at his BB for a long time, and enjoy hearing his perspective. As the founder of MountainSmith Packs, he was a leader through the 80's and 90's in backpack design. His sleds and tents are wonderful. I've not handled his rifles, but they strike me as a good premise taken to an extreme... and a darn ugly one at that. Besides all that, I'll admit I truly dislike Remington rifles. While I delight in light backpack gear, I think with a rifle a balance has to be struck in order for the weapon to be portable yet "settle down" for long shots. Personally I like a rifle for "mountain/backpack" use in the 7 to 8 lb. range while being slightly muzzle heavy. There's no way on God's good earth I'd plunk down that much money for his rifle... I'd go with Mel Forbe's NULA for less $. Now there's a well conceived, "balanced", light rifle.

Brad

www.kifaru.net

[This message has been edited by Brad (edited 08-09-2001).]

<sure-shot>
posted
They probably drive tacks all day but I don't think I could put with all the weird looks these rifles would draw.

<DuaneinND>
posted
Jordan, unrelated to you question, but I have a bunch more data on the 257DGR on a page on my web site, www.duanesguns.com
As you notice the name of the site has changed. I have looked at the rifles in question, and they definately different, not sure if I could get used to the stock.