Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy Bonded BC are Junk!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted
When a professional big-game hunter on safari in Africa shot a charging lion from about 30 yards away, he expected that the cat would die, or at least be stopped.

Instead, the lion mauled the marksman.

It wasn't bad aim, but bad bullets that allowed the lion to take Rolf Rohwer temporarily out of the hunting game, according to a federal lawsuit filed Tuesday against the bullet manufacturers, one of which is the Federal Cartridge Co. of Anoka.

Rohwer, of Scotland, is a wildlife biologist who has more than 30 years of African hunting and wildlife management experience, according to his Web site. He suffered permanent damage to his legs, arm and back, said his attorney, Louis Franecke. Rohwer was trying a new type of ammunition on Aug. 11, 2000, the day of the attack, he said.

"We think the company makes good ammunition, but not all of it is good for every application," Franecke said from his office in San Rafael, Calif. "Therein lies the problem. This bullet is not suitable for all big game."

Although the bullet might be good for hunting the majority of big game animals -- including rhinoceros, elephant, buffalo and hippopotamus -- the lion's thin skin allowed the bullet to pass through with minimal damage, he said. On a thicker-skinned animal, the bullet -- a .458 Winchester Magnum, 500 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw -- would expand, killing the animal quickly, according to the suit.

A lion shot with the bullet is still a dangerous and "harmful beast capable of causing severe personal injuries to human for a substantial period of time," the suit said.

Officials at Federal Cartridge hadn't seen the suit and were unable to comment on it, said Rod Bitz, spokesman for Alliant Techsystems Inc., Federal's parent company. The other company named is Trophy Bonded Bullets Inc. of Houston, according to the suit.

"This bullet is not suitable for killing a charging lion," Franecke said. "It's suitable for killing a lion over a period of time."

Before the lion reached Rohwer, who has since returned to hunting, he shot it a second time, Franecke said.

"The lion died basically while chewing on my client

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
That does it. I am done hunting.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just like the name Dangerous Game implies,this type of hunting is dangerous. The Mnaufacturer isn't at fault because some stupid fucker puts themselves willingly in danger of being eaten. The real injustice here,is the lion wasn't able to kill this jerk off and get rid of him.This lawsuit will be like thousands every year,that get thrown out. This is another case of some idiot trying to use the legal system to make up for their own piss poor judgement and as always there's some lawyer waiting to make some money.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
What a crying shame the lion didn't kill him.I got to give the lion credit for trying though.
What a limp dick!
Now that he's crippled up maybe he'll find some line of work better to his suiting like a fry cook at McDonalds.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buffalobwana:

I've been patiently waiting for this day. I'll be over later and dispose of the 450 Dakota properly.....

[ 04-17-2003, 04:25: Message edited by: Longbob ]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Maybe next time he should use a stun gun like the police use to stop people.......this would paralize the lion so he could "T" off on his skull with his 458.LOL. I guess he is not as good a shot as he thought. Brained or spined the lion would have stopped in its tracks. He just did not get the job done. HIS FAULT, NOT THE BULLETS!

What a LAME LAWSUIT!!!!

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow! If that guy thinks the lion mauled him he should read this thread! [Big Grin]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FRY COOK AT MCDONALDS---HELL NO HE'LL SPILL COFFEE IN HIS LAP!!!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the suit may very well get thrown out but in the meantime the ammo companies will have to pay out big bucks and a couple (or more) ambulance chasing sleazebags will get rich. And you and I will end up footing the bill. If we don't have severe tort reform and that right soon, this country is doomed.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Be nice Nick, [Wink]

Bakes

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Wow! This gives me an idea.

Maybe I'll sue Golfsmith now for the $200 bet I lost trying to make a putt with one of their sand wedges.

On a further note, am I to believe that no lion has EVER been killed with traditional solids? Of course not! This is bunk.

Like someone said above, it's called "dangerous" for a reason. I'm sorry for his injuries, but sometimes the piper must be paid.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, Yes, ... thank you Bakes!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To turn around and fuck other hunters because of his own hunting screw up, I don't see this guy as being a hunter at all. He's scum.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
This jerk would probably sue if he was using a solid. "It failed to open up! It usualy would on a M1 Abrams!" [Big Grin]

I use them on moose out of my 7mag. Perfect performer. Good expansion, good wieght retention, and my rifle shoots them accurate.

It makes you wonder about the guide. What would he suggest to use on lion? Did the client listen? Who is to blame?

What this guy is claiming is that the bullet is too tough. Should have used a game king! [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

Welcome to the Forum.

Trophy Bonded Bear Claws are one of the VERY BEST hunting bullets one can buy.

I have used them on many species of game, and found one cannot possibly wish for any better.

We do not know the facts of this yet, but from the little that is know, this sounds like he trying to make up for his poor shooting.

He is not doing himself or the hunting industry any favors by this silly lawsuit.

Posts: 67479 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He's suing the wrong party for the wrong reason!

A modified suit needs to be taken out against God (or natural selection depending on your beliefs) for negligantly fitting a lion with a CNS on/off switch and failing to print that fact in in large type on the hide in a number of languages.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt that TBBC are a very good bullet, but this guy is a retard. The article implied that he knew that the bullets were not made for maximum expansion but for penetration, so wouldn't that imply that they wouldn't be a good choice for a charging thin skined lion... Too bad the lion didn't kill him...

Ivan

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
I'll bet money this yo-yo is a member of several hunting clubs that embrace the concept of FAIR CHASE. IMO, Fair Chase means the quarry has an opportunity to evade, elude or ATTACK the pursurer. I can't have respect for anyone who does not understand that fair chase means that the animal can turn on you and make the hunter the quarry. There is no such thing as 100% certainty that an animal will drop dead in its tracks with a "perfect" killing shot.

There are quite a few documented cases of bears mauling their hunters even though they have received several lethal hits. They get so pumped up on adrenaline and the will to survive that you can throw out all the conventional thinking. A CNS hit is about all that will drop 'em right there. The article never did say what the post-mortem on the lion revealed, did it?

[ 04-17-2003, 17:37: Message edited by: Lars G ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rolf Rohwer was the PH. It was his job to sort out the Lion that some Tyro (such as yourselves) had botched up on.

Perhaps some of you Drugstore Safari Types ought to read the article and not just the other comments before forming an opinion.

I don't know whether or not he is looking for an easy score with the Courts but bullets do fail, even premium ones. Perhaps a little more thought and a little less reliance on the 'always accurate press report' might be in order.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbob:
quote:
Originally posted by Buffalobwana:

I've been patiently waiting for this day. I'll be over later and dispose of the 450 Dakota properly.....
Good luck!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Gunnut45/454>
posted
Mickey1
PH or wet behind the ear first timer- if you don't use the proper tools for the job you get eaten. Deep penertrating bullet on thin skin game? [Eek!]
Should have been using a softnose exanding bullet.
Sounds like he was trying to get by with out changing ammo to suit the game hunted-so he got what he deserved!!! No# 1 rule match your ammo to the game hunted or take your chances-stupid is as stupid does!!! [Roll Eyes]

[ 04-17-2003, 18:17: Message edited by: Gunnut45/454 ]

one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
Gunnut is exactly right. I love trophy bonded, but the fact of the matter is they wouldn't be the optimal choice for lion.

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mickey1,
The old saying goes "if you dance you have to pay the fiddler" I'd say he is paying and don't like it. I guess he should have picked a different line of work. I would trade with him kitty tracks and all.
Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I sent the idiot an e-mail. Regardless of bullet type, when it's coming for you, you must hit the CNS to stop him. I think we should all e-mail to tell him what an idiot he is. I did because it sickens me to see people who don't take responsiblity for their own actions.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope he doesn't have children as the world has enough idiots already without him passing on his stupidity.He played the game and had to pay for his error but that is not the fault of the bullet manufacturer.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Using the wrong bullet is the company's fault? WHAT? This is the problem with people. Maybe I should sue for it not dropping my little whitetail in its tracks. It ran 25 yards.

This is one time I should have cheered on the lion.

Dangerous game. What a concept. The lion should have know to die. I hope the lion's family has a good laywer too

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Greg, I think you should post this limp dick's e-mail address so we can all let him know how much we appreciate this crap. It denigrates the hunting of such a noble beast. I only wish the lion would have one this one! [Mad]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
His e-mail is: rohwersafaris@hotmail.com

Following is the e-mail I sent him:

What a ridiculous lawsuit you have filed. When you make your living hunting dangerous game, shit happens. As a PH, you should know there is no magic bullet. A direct hit to the central nervous system is the only guaranteed stopper. You and your client got hurt through a combination of bad luck and inadequacy on your part. When an animal charges, it's because you screwed up. Poor planning and poor shot placement are to blame, not the bullets.

Federal has done more to help hunters by making premium ammunition available to non-handloaders than any other company. They are a great company, and it sickens me to see an idiot like you suing them for your own incompetence. Your lawsuit is ridiculous, and is sure to accomplish nothing more than raising the price of ammunition for the rest of us. I hope you don't get shit, and that one of that Lion's girlfriends is hungrily awaiting your inept return to the bush.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
come on Greg, tell us how you really feel.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another slob stepping up to the pig trough hoping for an easy score. As was mentioned above, we could sure use tort reform now. The only ones to come out ahead of this one will be those scummy blood suckers, aka, lawyers. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GREG IS THE MAN, THIS STUPID PH FUCKER SHOULD KNOW WHEN YOU MESS WITH FIRE YOU COULD GET BURNT AND NOW HE IS TRYING TO MAKE SOME CHANGE OF HIS BRAIN FART, HE SHOULD HAVE USED MATCHKINGS!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
[Wink] [Roll Eyes] He should sue the rifle manufacture too for not making his gun shoot properly he missed it,s not his fault.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a 22 year veteran of law enforcement, a job that out me in close contact with lawyers, it always dumbfounded me that a man or woman could go through 4 years of college, three years of law school and come out such an idiot that they could not tell a customer coming through the door that lions are dangerous, that this guy had to travel 10,000 miles, hire a professional to guide him to harms way, and now it's the bullet makers fault.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know it's fun to bash lawyers but they are just "advocates" for their clients...it isn't the lawyers who are screwing things up, it's the judges without guts or sense that allow these things to go to trial...should have been thrown out as soon as it hit the light of day.

You need to forgive me for standing up for lawyers I put one thru law school and the rascal has the nerve to make 3X what his Dad does. [Smile]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Newspapers do not report facts, they write stories.
Again, let's wait for the facts and see what really happened.

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, DB BILL, despite the fact that one of your kids is a lawyer, lawyers are the problem!! And ridiculous law suits looking for a corporate victim with deep pockets. Do you think the droolers that the lawyers are representing are smart enough to figure this shit out themselves? Don't make me laugh. Why do lawyers keep spotters at the emergency room and traffic division? This is why lawyers advertize about how much money they rake in for their clients with frivolous, synthesized suits.
For every big settlement made that makes the news, there are thousands and thousands made for under $5000.00. And the lawyer ends up with half or more whille the client gets some "free money". This is not because of corperate guilt but simply it is cheaper to settle. Kinda like being nibbled to death by ducks.
I could go on and on about this with facts and figures but lets just say lawyers are a hugh part of the problem. Believe it or not. [Big Grin]

<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
The article implied that he knew that the bullets were not made for maximum expansion but for penetration

Ivan

Silly. I have used TBB and they have been just great, mushroom every time [Wink]
The problem with them have been getting them in Sweden. Has anyone used the later ones made by Federal??

After this lion, I guess that we have to use MATCHKINGS for everything from now on [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

DB Bill, Great that you son got thru law school. I guess he can treat his poor father on a safari once in while to make up for the difference [Smile]

/ JOHAN

[ 04-21-2003, 01:52: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparently I'm confused on terminology, I thought that is why we call it HUNTING, cuz there are NO guarentees. If this person, refered to, is a PH and has not tested new ammunition before he goes head on with a wounded Lion, of all things, my terminology for him is a FOOL.

There is no guarentee your gun will go "boom" every time either but we put our money where we stand the best chance, reloading or manufactured. Just because this is commercial ammunition and he EXPECTS it to do what ever he wants, without personal or some other independent tests, he got what he deserved.

My advise to this PH, read or reread chapter X of John Taylors, AFRICAN RIFLES AND CARTRIDGES, or find another job.

Good Hunting!? "Z" [Confused]

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prior to my first post I should have read more of the entire thread. I am amazed each time someone does something this stupid and goes public and says, to the world, look at what a fool I am and watch me make some other person pay for my stupidity and in the process it will cost all of the rest of you, in one way or another.

To DB, I think, I have 32+ years in Law Enforcement and I am not in an instutution and still taking solid food so I'm not a complete fool yet, I respectfully disagree, it IS THE ATTORNEYS that are at fault. They as a group have CREATED the atmosphere we have to deal with. Sorry, I don't buy laying it off on Judges as they too are attornys too!

Look I know plenty of both. I'm not saying all are bad, but, since every judge is also an attorney and the courts make rulings that establish case law and set the boundaries of criminal and civil law that is rather obvious to me. It wasn't the carpenters, store keepers, construction workers etc. who created this "way of doing things"

After working in Investigations for nearly 20 years and Drug Investigation for over 12 years I have taken enough cases to the U.S. Attorney for prosecution and witnessed those that have money being able to BUY more justice than the person with a Federal Public Defender. I'm not saying these attorneys are not capable, however, like the saying on the streets goes, "Money talks and Bullshit walks"! The bottom line is when "Mr Green [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] shows up we can really AFFORD to "look into the case" and for those that don't have a sugar daddy and no Mr Green we just go through the motions.

Call me synical call me whatever you like, I'm just relating the reality of 32+ years of REALITY. OH yes, no axe to grind no chip on my shoulder, I've got a 98.something conviction rate, no TV cowboy crap just hard work. This is just the REAL TRUTH!

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like the bullets worked just fine. He shot a charging lion at 30 yrds (not in the CNS) and the thing died before it killed him. He should be thanking Federal and Trophy. What gratitude.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote