New
Find
Notify
Tools

1 caliber for USA & Canada
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed, I have a Sauer 202 Supreme in 375 H&H, with extra barrels in 300 WM and 7 RM. Take it down, fit it in a short case, and head on out.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is an hard task here in the yukon we can hunt from the barrenground caribou/black bear/sheep to bison.

the mini caliber is the 3-06 for bison and this really the mini so a 300 win mag 338, 375 ir 9.3x62 but why limiting with only one caliber.

Posts: 1876 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have said many times that if I could only have one, it would be the 375 H+H.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
For the lower 48 including elk, black bear etc. I would go with my beloved BDL in 270 Win. If Alaska was in the mix (original post), then I would go with my Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby. It's all weather (as much as any rifle can be), light (7 1/2 lb with Leupold 2-7x scope), and shoots a 300g A-Frame at 2800 fps so flat enough shooting for all North American game.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
medved, I never thought bison were native to the Yukon. Were they introduced to the Yukon from other parts of Canada?

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me the 35 whelen is in the same category as the 9.3x62 but the 9.3x62 was grandfathered in as a legal DG caliber in most of africa because so many were in use for that purpose there.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 376 steyr:
To me the 35 whelen is in the same category as the 9.3x62 but the 9.3x62 was grandfathered in as a legal DG caliber in most of africa because so many were in use for that purpose there.

True. And if Africa was under consideration, I'd pick the 9.3x62 as well. I've taken both calibers to Africa hunting, but as the OP stated just America & Canada, I'd still take my 35 Whelen. Just because I like it so much.

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like the others I cannot understand the “one rifle concept if you can afford bear hunts.

Is really only valued in counties that restrict
ownership.

The same with multiple barrel sets.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
Which caliber would you pick for using on anything from pronghorn to brown bears? Well I don't got any rifles no more. My kids claimed them. I was just wanting to know which would be a good all around caliber. A 338 comes to mind but figured I'd ask you what you think. I do reload.

58 grs 4831 with a 175 gr Nosler partition 2780 fps for anything living on the north, or south American continent! I have a Ruger no 1 bull barrel that is a tack driver with that load, and I have never had to fire a second shot on any animal I have shot with that load.
However the 375 H&H is a one rifle for the world as well!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
What's the cost of a brown bear hunt these days?
coffee

About $75.00 & that includes, $50.00 for gas & $25.00 for a tag.

Yeah I know Spoiled S.O.B. dancing tu2

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you guys not bored with this question? Been seeing it on the internet for over 20 years now.

At least we no longer have to read the same rehashed crap in hunting mags anymore.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
coffee

Smart A**

beer

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Are you guys not bored with this question? Been seeing it on the internet for over 20 years now.

100%.

horse

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

100%.

horse

X2 tu2

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
coffee

same here but in canadian pesos ...

Posts: 1876 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Point being, if you've got the scratch to book a brownie hunt, you've got the scratch to purchase a second rifle.

coffee

I was thinking the same thing.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At one time the Rem. 7mm mag was very popular just among deer hunters. Do you think that maybe some of these guys had thoughts of some day going after a brown bear with it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At one time the Rem. 7mm mag was very popular just among deer hunters. Do you think that maybe some of these guys had thoughts of some day going after a brown bear with it?

I have a relative that hunted and guided in the Yukon.

He thought the 7mag was the ultimate hunting caliber.

He said it beat the heck out of his 30-30 that he started out using for bear back up.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can make a case for the 30-06 and the 200 gr. accubond or partition, and that will always be my bottom line caliber, no other comes close IMO....

I used the .338 Win, 375, 40 and 50s and and almost everything out there, and they all work, but the old 06 has never let me down..Mostly I go with how much recoil I could manage, thats your best bet..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
medved, I never thought bison were native to the Yukon. Were they introduced to the Yukon from other parts of Canada?

they were native then extinct then bring back few decades ago and now are close to be considered pest again ...

https://yukon.ca/en/wood-bison

https://yukon.ca/en/bison-hunt...-a-bison-hunt-permit

https://yukon.ca/en/bison-hunt...ere-can-i-hunt-bison

https://yukon.ca/en/bison-hunt...ely-and-respectfully

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Medved, good to hear they are back even as pest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Medved, good to hear they are back even as pest.

indeed good opportunity and good meat.