New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting rigs. Whatcha drive?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you all drive for a hunting rig? Any mods or add ons?

Extra points for tailgate shots with game and the vehicle.

My hunting rig/daily driver: A 1997 4Runner, all stock, new set of ATs put on recently and plan on a few other minor add ons.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 893 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post

2003 model, 4 wheel drive.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a rig that has taken a ram, two bucks and a turkey. Made about 200 trips (@650 miles each) to the Texas hill country, since July of 2000.
'97 Ford F-350. Ranch hand front and rear bumpers welded on with 1/2 x 4 steel plates. Power programmer, aftermarket downpipe and turbo, 4 wheel drive. Totaled twice and put back together. Three hundred and forty five thousand miles and still truckin" Heading out this Thursday evening for a hog and varmint weekend.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom, I alway wanted one of those on Elk and Mulie hunts but it is a long way to haul from NC. Don't guess you would want to rent a few turbo models for a couple weeks would ya? You have the best hunting rig I've seen!

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1371 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
A '97 Jeep with light mileage. This pic was taken 10K miles ago.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This year it was my minivan. F150 will be back next year. My daughter's pony was useful for the first time,though. I used it to haul a deer out of the woods.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Traded in the 3/4 Ton Suburban for a 2008 FJ Crusier Limited

Hands down the best 4WD vehicle I have owned. Just not the most spacious.

Posts: 55 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
PCS I don't know that I've ever seen anyone line up prairie dogs for a trophy photo before but I like the picture. Did you skin'em and make slippers?
Nice rig.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We thought it was a clever idea to drive around and shoot P. dogs with a shotgun after we filled our antelope tags. So, a trophy pic at days end was a necessity.

Slippers???? What an idea, I shouldn't of full body mounted them for a diorama. dancing

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No pix, unfortunately. But mine is a 4-wheel drive 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The long wheel base model.
Perfect for me and my gear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No pix either, but what is there to take pictures of. It is a '96 Dodge 1500 4x4 with the extended cab. It has 180K miles on it and it is just broken in good. I have had it places I shouldn't and it always got me out. I even moved two kids to college with it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rig is a 1978 Ford F-150 4x4. It has a 400 cubic inch motor with a 4 barrel carb and a four speed manual transmission. There is a 12,000 Warn winch on the front. The truck has dual batteries so the winch has it's own, a heavy duty alternator, and 2000 lbs of overload springs. The truck has 2 custom installed gas tanks. The front tank holds 21 gallons and the rear tank holds 18 gallons.

It is a beast, a gas hog, but a beast. Unfortunately, I don't get to drive it much. It's parked back home in Colorado and I'm stationed in Florida. While I'm in Florida, I do everything out of my 2002 Ford Ranger. Don't need a 4x4 down here.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of these days I'll get pictures figured out.
2004 1/2 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4. Four door Longbox, Silver. The half model year got the 325 horse 600ft/lbs torque package. It goes everywhere with me.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 1992 f2504x4 and 1971FJ40 landcrusier.It just depends on how i feel as to what one i take hunting.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1977 F150 4x4, with a 351 mod 4 bbl carb. flatbed with dogbox. Cool

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
My rig is a '98 GMC Sierra with only 147,000 miles. It's basically stock save for the 305-70-16 Wranglers, a brush guard that can withstand the impact of a large whitetail at speed, and a custom rear bumper.

Didn't you say we get extra points if we include a picture with a dead animal in the bed?? Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post

Ford Ranger - I think I need a bigger rig.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Haha! Great picture!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is mine, daily driver and hunter, 86 CJ7

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My main rig is a 1999 GMC Sierra with 108,000 miles on the clock. My secondary is a 94 GMC S-15 Jimmy with 170,000 miles. Pic was taken in Wyoming after my doe hunt a couple years ago.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcs:

Hahaha!!! Awesome!

And a very good rig too... I plan on making my FJ purchase this July.

The "White Knight" as my friends affectionatly call it, is getting tired. However, I won't get rid of it... a pickup bed is an invaluable tool, no matter the size.

Along with a few other mods, I put on coilovers on top of a 4" lift (6.5" of Frankenstein lift in total), a TJM bumper, Warn winch, and BFG Mud Terrains. It's served its purpose for over 250,000 miles and countless hunts.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another 1997 Ford F-350 diesel. Bought it brand new 13 years ago and it just runs, and runs, and..........

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-378.

I go to the post office on Spencer Hwy most every day. Have rental property in Laporte off North L. Betcha I've seen you toolin' down Spencer, Pasa. Blvd, Center, Fairmont or Underwood and didn't even know it
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kenati,

You probably know this, but this is the last year for the FJ. So, if you want new..........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
30-378.

I go to the post office on Spencer Hwy most every day. Have rental property in Laporte off North L. Betcha I've seen you toolin' down Spencer, Pasa. Blvd, Center, Fairmont or Underwood and didn't even know it
GWB

The truck has been garaged in the Laporte, Deer Park, Pasadena area since 1997 with LOTS of trips to and from Junction on I-10. Been to Colorado countless times and all the way to Canada 6 times. I also belong to PSC and shoot there a lot thru the week since retiring last year.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
We have two. A 78 Bronco with front and rear detroit lockers rollin on 16" Cooper ST's. Warn 8000lb on the front. 400 and an auto tranny with 4:11 gears. The truck is a 76 Ford 3/4 ton flatbed. Detroit locker in the rear with 4:11 gears and a 4 speed behind a 390. It has two 30 gallon each extra gas tanks besides the 18 gallon tank in the cab. And a 8000lb Ramsey out front. It has Cooper Discoverer LT's. Extra heavy duty chains for all tires, both rigs. Were good too go i think. Wink

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
2006 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4. I really like it alot. Small enough if ive got to drive through trees I can make it to alot of spots.

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1982 Chrysler Imperial. Once I get to the farm I can walk around and don't need 4 wheel drive. One deer will fit in the trunk. It's also my idea of a fashion statement - a "guy car", two door, heavy, long, low, rakish looking and 318 V-8 engine. 200K miles, runs great and doesn't burn oil. If the engine ever wears out I'd like to drop a 360 in it and add a 4 barrel carb.

Decades ago I had an IH Scout II. 348 V-8. Just plain wore it out. It was I think the forerunner of today's 4 wheel drive SUVs. If the mud was bad enough, you did that manual thing with the hubs, put it in 4 wheel low, floored it, let go of the steering wheel, and it'd find it's own way out of most any mess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-378

See ya there. I mainly shoot on range 4.
GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
2002 Ford Explorer with bumper buddy

CISSP, CISA, CRISC looking for a IT Security/Audit Manager spot

one of us
posted Hide Post
2008 Dodge Quad Cab 4X4 with a Hemi. The only truck I have ever taken to Colorado and crossed the high passes with a 16 ft. trailer in front of the Cummings boys. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Volvo S40 ... yeah, I do a lot of walking in.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
1970 CJ

Added winch, custom bumpers, totally restored last year.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Same thing I drive every day, 2005 Chevy 2500 Duramax 4wd, crew cab. 190,000 miles and just belts, hoses and batteries. Went and looked at a new one the other day, but I'm just not ready to start breaking a new one in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
'84 CJ7 stock.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 4runner has a 3.0 turbo diesel that gets 33mpg on my homebrew veggie oil. Torque down to 800rpm with plenty of grunt, the thing will climb a tree and go back down the other side. I installed winches front and rear, retrofitted 4.55 locking differentials front and rear, currently running 285/75/16 studded BF muds. I built a custom rear bumper and fold-up rack for hauling deer. I've had six on there at once, which kinda puts the headlights a wee high.
Here's a summer pic before getting drunk at the lake.

Here I am plowing three foot of snow for other hunters to enjoy,

Enjoying my "front yard"

A less than elegant deer pic on the stretcher.

Best of all, it's all mine. I got a real good deal on the loan, something like %100 down, 0% interest. Trying that living within your means thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
2008 Chevy Silverado four door 4x4. They were just about giving them away November before last. Four hunters and four deer, no problem. Also tows my boat great all summer.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hokkaido,

living within your means is Un-American. The president said so on national TV!!

You only have to pay cash for big bore rifles and hunting trips to Africa. My wife said that, but it didn't make the evening news.

Rich
glad to see you're back, nice rig

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Back in my poor years, this was my hunting/trapping rig. These deer were taken near the 'Hole in the Wall' near Kaycee Wyoming. I also used this rig as my beaver trapping vehicle while on the Dick Cheney Ranch (the Dick Cheney) in Wyoming...

By the way, the weight of those three deer partially collapsed the roof. Upon leaving the deer processing place I went over a cattle guard and the roof popped out (it sounded like a shotgun going off inside the car) no worse for wear. While on the Chaney ranch trapline I would putt along atop the crust of the snow. If the tires fell through and I got stuck, I would get out and lever my way with a fence post with the V'dub engaged in first gear and then run alongside and jump in. Oh....the stuff we did when we were young.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Hey Matt, love the bug!!!

Had a '73 super beetle that I ran the crap out of. Used to load all my buddies to go hunting and we'd just hop out when we got stuck and pick the damn thing up. That car went everywhere. Spent many a night sleeping in the back with the seat folded down, and I'm six four!!

I agree: to be that age again......

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote