New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son's New Years Eve Deer.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After Adam protesting that it was too late, I talked him, my wife and a visiting relative, his Uncle (as two non-shooting observers, Uncle wanted to see how we hunted) to go on what we thought was going to be a late evening hog hunt. They got in the blind about 4:30, it would be dead dark in about an hour. Before long, this buck showed up along with some other lesser bucks. This is a very nice deer for our area. 11 points and 19 1/2 inside.

I told him, "Hey bud, why didn't you break both shoulders like I told you on a trophy?" Typical teenager he says, "I knew I could take out his heart and save meat." He did, so I guess you can't argue with success.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
SHAZAM! That's an awesome deer! Extended youth ends this Sunday here in Texas. Picking my 15 yo son up from a week a semester finals at noon Friday and heading out. I hope we are this fortunate!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato,
I saw your post a few days ago about Adam's buck. Wow, he's a beaut. He could hunt all his life and not do better. Are ya'll gonna have him mounted?

(Notice I took care not to say are ya'll gonna mount him, after Andy's comments)

Is that your/his 300 win mag he shot the buck with?

His appearance sure has changed since I saw him last. He looks like he is growing to be a handsome young man. You're gonna have to be chasin' the girls off with sticks. Tell him to be careful 'bout swimmin' with bowlegged wimmen.

Best to you and yours.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Gato-

CONGRATS are definitely in order for Adam upon making a great shot on a bruiser of a buck. And KUDOS to you for putting him on the right path. I've had the honor of meeting you but not Adam, but from what I've heard and read over the past few years, that young man has grown into a heck of a hunter. beer

You'd better start looking for a tall, wide space on the living room wall for this mount... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daaaaaamn! That's a humdinger. Congrats

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind comments. I'm very proud of Adam (and all my kids for that matter). He's a good kid turning into a young adult before my eyes. Just turned 17 a few days ago. I'm considering sponsoring him for the sleeping Olympics, he is world class material. Roll Eyes

GW:

No, that's not my .300WM, that is his Tikka .308 that he has used for the last few years, starting in Namibia in 2008. He shoots it very well. Unfortunately we're nearly out of the Fed Factory 165 TBBC that he has used all that time (for game). I may have to break down and reload some. They've performed perfectly from Oryx and Kudu on down.

AFA women goes, he's kind of like that pit bull chasing the car, he's got the scent, knows what they look like, but he's not sure what to do if he catches one. Wink I've stressed to him that I didn't want to be an unplanned grandpa and to be damn careful out (and in) there.

We're having this buck mounted locally. If the boy keeps it up, I'm going to have to finish Namibia Too (a 40x40 party "cabin" I was having built (with the idea that it would hold our (mostly his) Namibia mounts) with an attached barn before I got pissed and fired the contractor for various good reasons a couple of years back, it sits there about 80% done). We're way past overstuffed in this home we call a house.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Good grief!!!! That's a fantastic buck for anywhere but for east TX he's an absolute bruiser!!!! Love the width!

Congrats to your son and you!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your son on a fine buck. It's a beaut.

Well done to you for passing the torch. Nothing more satisfying that watching our kids grow into hunters.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice! tu2

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
awesome! I'd like to see the area where that deer isn't good for! I'd be happy with that anywhere. congrats to him.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SHAZAM!

+1 !

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
that's a beauty!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Real nice -- congratulations. beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Great buck, congrats to your son!
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck. Congrats.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
That's one helluva' great deer. Congrats to your son, and you!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Great buck!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck Beats my best

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Amazing buck. Congratulations to you both.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye Mountaineer:
SHAZAM!

+1 !

+2 shocker

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck, congratulations to Adam!

Posts: 15 | Location: New York | Registered: 25 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
I didn't see this hunt report until now...Man, What A Buck!

CONGRATS, Adam!

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato, you ought to be a proud TEXAS DAD!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible buck! Nice shootin' Adam.

Gato...I have a couple boxes of the trophy bonded BearClaw loads in .308 that don't shoot well for me. You are welcome to them.

A bit of bad news though. I contacted Speer the other day and the email I got back said they no longer provide the bearclaw as reloading components--only available in loaded ammo by Federal. If you have a pile of them no worries.

Would love to have you and Adam come down and hunt with CamomanJ and I. We know a neat place south of here. My 9pt looks downright anemic in comparison.

Congrats again on a fine job!

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote