THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wyoming Elk/Whitetail Hunt - Nov. 2011

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming Elk/Whitetail Hunt - Nov. 2011
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Dates: Nov. 11 - 18, 2011

Weapon: .300 RUM - Trijicon 5-20 scope and 180gr Accubonds

I was fortunate this year to draw a pretty good elk tag in Wyoming, an area that I last hunted 16 years ago. I decided to apply for the whitetail tag too, as its not often you get to chase elk and whitetail on the same hunt. As luck would have it, I received both tags and planned a 10-day hunt for Nov. 11-20. This area works out great for me, as its only about 3 hrs from my home in Denver. Not to mention, it frequently produces some great bull elk (My favorite N.A. animal to hunt), and lots of whitetails inhabit the lower creek bottom farmland. Our plan was to hunt the high/rough country (public land) for elk and my friend Mike has some property he owns and leases in the low-lands for the whitetails.

Jeremiah and I spent a couple days at my house after my Colorado elk hunt, and then we headed to Wyoming mid-day on the 10th. Jeremiah is a fabulous photographer/videographer, plus he has a strong back. Something that comes in really handy, when needing to pack an elk out of the back country.

Jeremiah, the night before we started hunting.

My plan was to focus on the elk first. I really wasn't too concerned with the whitetail, if we got time, the deer was just gonna be a bonus. So the next day, we were up at 3:45am and headed into the hills to look for a big bull. Any person who lives in Wyoming from Nov - Mar needs to have their head examined! The wind never lets up, but when I say wind, I mean winds of 50mph on average. With wind gusts of 70-80mph and a high recorded on top of the mountain at 118mph. It really sucked!!!!

Day 1 found Mike, Jeremiah and I cowered behind a rock wall, trying our best to stay warm and out of the wind, all while hoping to glass a big bull. The country is big, rough, and fairly roadless, at least where the big bulls are likely to be. So the plan was to glass alot, find the bull we wanted, and go after him.

Glassing, while trying to stay warm!

Beautiful/big country

Mike glassing over some country

Wyoming sunrise!

After about an hour of eye strain through the spotting scope, I spotted several bulls that were easily 4 miles to the north. One of them though, was a GIANT! Although the distance was great, I'm confident he was over 375" B&C. He looked to be roughly 48" wide, with beams in the mid 50's, huge 4ths and 5ths and lots of mass. Just how big he was is hard to say from that far away, but I knew he was big enough. Problem was, we needed to go all the way back to town and come from a completely different place to get anywhere near him, so he'd have to wait til tomorrow.

Day 2, and we were further north and east, looking for the big bull from the previous day. Problem was, day 2 had the worst winds of the trip. We were easily hit with 80mph plus winds, and with no place to get out of it, glassing was almost impossible. Fact is, some of the wind gusts were so strong that it literaaly knocked Jeremiah to the ground (He's 285lbs). Frankly, it was a complete waste of time. We did see two small bulls that I ranged at 342 yards, and I guarantee you, there's no way I could have ever shot them in that wind, regardless of how big they were.

Days 3-4 weren't too bad, but the winds continued at a relentless pace. Hunting was brutal, glassing was difficult, and the bulls were hard to find. We did find a nice 7x7 on day 4, he had huge mass and long beams, but his tine length was terrible. So we decided to pass, and keep hoping to see the big bull from day 1. Unfortunately we never saw him again!

Day 5, and we decided to go to a new spot. The evening before it started to snow, so the next morning we were greeted with fresh snow, and super cold temps. Thinking we were gonna have a clear day, we worked our way around the side of a nasty rock mountain to a good glassing spot. Problem was, we were only there for 15 minutes, when all of the sudden the whole valley was engulfed with another squall. Glassing for elk was over for that day!

Moments before the squall rolled in

Here I am, trying to glass just as the squall arrives. Moments later, we packed up at left!

Day 6, we decided to go back to the same spot as the day before, hoping the clounds would lift. As luck would have it, they did, just as we arrived and the sun started to light up the back country.

The views were awesome!

Glassing conditions were good, with winds only blowing about 15mph, but it was colder than hell!. It only took me a few minutes to find two groups of bulls. The first group had 5 bulls, the best was probably 320" and all of them were on the other side of a deep canyon, about 2 miles to our southwest. The second group was in a little better spot, 7 of them in total. Again however, the best one was probably 320", so I just kept looking.

Here I am, glassing the two different groups of bulls, and Jeremiah trying to stay warm

Mike and I were separated by about 60-70 yards, as he had gone around the other side of the rock to glass country I couldn't see. The next thing I know, he's on top of a rock, waving and telling us to get over there. Mike had found a good bull, and he wanted me to take a look. Just as big bulls often do, he was all by himself. As soon as I got my scope on him, it only took me 5 seconds to decide that he was a shooter. Now, we needed to do the best we could to keep an eye on him, and see where he goes. Fact is, we only watched him for about 5 minutes and he disappeared into small canyon, just adjacent to a small timbered ridge. Man, that sucked! Not knowing exactly where he went and knowing we were about 2 miles away and by the time we went back down off the rock mountain, and all the way around/down into the canyon where he was, it would be 2 hrs later, was not good! I hate going after game blind, but in this case we had no choice.

Mike and I glassing the bull, just before he disappeared.

About 2 - 2.5 hrs later and we were on a big rock formation, roughly 600 yards above the last place we say the bull. The wind was definitely in our favor, but we just couldn't find him. We decided that we had no choice, but to go right down to where we though he was and poke around. The little canyon we last saw him in, actually ran up to the small timbered ridge, but we couldn't see that from 2 miles away. So as we got right down in there, we slowly worked our way right/north of the timbered ridge, at the same time, trying to look into and amongst the little timber burned canyons.

Next thing I know, Mike hits the dirt as he looked back over our left shoulder and spotted the bull lying in his bed. We all hunkered down, and made a plan. We were only 420 yards from the bull, so Mike stayed put while Jeremiah and I dropped into the little draw we just came up out of, and moved to the next little hump, closer to the bull. The wind was perfect, but the shot was not! At 326 yards, the bull was lying down, with his rear-end facing directly at me. I knew I could hit him, but it was a terrible shot and it I muffed it, or wounded him, the steep/deep canyon was just 50 yards to his south. So we decided to wait him out, and with only a small window to shoot through, we had no choice.

Mike took this picture through his spotting scope from 100 yards behind us. There's Jeremiah and I, lying down and at the ready, with the bull 326 yards away. I love this picture!!!!

Here I am, waiting for the bull to stand and present a better shot!

Did I mention how cold it was?? Man, this darn bull layed there for 2.5 hrs and never twitched. By this time, Jeremiah and I were frozen to the ground, and Mike was shuttling us water/food. Finally, finally he decided to stretch and grab some grub. When he finally stood, he stood up at the exact same angle as he was lying down, with his rear-end facing directly at me. Quickly however, he turned completely around, walked about 5 steps directly at us, and put his head down to feed. As his head wenrt down, I put the dot between his shoulders/neck, and down he went. I'd never been so happy to shoot something in my life, just so I could get up and move!

Just before the bull got up and I fired!

It took us only a few minutes to get over to him, and the picture taking began. He's a beatuiful 6x7, and I was very pleased!

Ironically, I never saw a single cow elk in the rough stuff, not one! Every elk I saw up there was a bull. Now Mike had hundreds of cows and lesser bulls on his private land down low, but the big boys were staying up in the high stuff, trying to avoid the ever present hunter.

Day 7-8, After completing the packing job, it was time to try for a whitetail. Although I knew I wouldn't likely find a buck like we have in eastern Colorado, I was still really looking forward to checking it out.

The Wyoming creek bottoms are beautiful too!

Glassing from a cedar ridge, over-looking a creek bottom, we spotted a really neat looking buck! It took me only a minute to decide to shoot him. He's not a big buck, but his mass was really cool, so he was the one. At 394 yards, I got set-up with the .300 RUM, layed down with the bi-pod, and let em have it. He dropped instantly at the shot, and my Wyoming elk/whitetail hunt was over!

Glassing for deer

Just before I take the shot

My Wyoming buck

Wyoming was good to me, and I will be back!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt!!!

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Great pics, thank you for sharing.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
hmm...pictures not showing for me

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great photos!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are a killer Aaron. Congrats.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Laramie Peak = giant bulls.
tu2
Great job!

Posts: 101 | Location: Somewhere between Canada and Mexico | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Great looking bull Aaron!! Congrats...

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Congrats again on another successful hunt!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's a mighty fine bull!

Congrats Aaron

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great report and those superb photos help tell the story! Well done... love the bull and buck.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bull Aaron, I love you scenery shots. Great story with tough conditions to hunt in.
Looked cooooold!

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Man great bull Aaron. Like every one said it sure looked cold up there. That is some of the prettiest country I have seen. You sure have some great pics.
Congrats again, Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
Nice bull Aaron, I love you scenery shots. Great story with tough conditions to hunt in.
Looked cooooold!

Yep, it was really cold and the hunting/glassing conditions were awful! But, we did manage to stick it out for the most part. I just wish we could have found the big bull I spotted on Day 1, he truly was a giant!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Nice,

Great hunt, and great photos! Nice job to you both.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good story and very nic animals! Congrats

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I will be buying you a Cabela's gift card..... do you take an IOU.... will pay up at SCI Vegas!! Big congrats, awesome bull!! Nice whitetail too

Linda

Posts: 150 | Location: Washington | Registered: 01 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KB1:
Looks like I will be buying you a Cabela's gift card..... do you take an IOU.... will pay up at SCI Vegas!! Big congrats, awesome bull!! Nice whitetail too

Linda

Linda, no worries on the Gift Card! I just hope to see you guys in January, and I hope all is well up north?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice! you been busy

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Great stuff Aaron. That bull is awesome. Congrats.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great time, congrats!

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Great job Aaron, love the bull and that whitetail is darn cool. Talk to you soon.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Britt
posted Hide Post
Great work Aaron! Another nice 2011 hunt for you. Congrats.

Lee

Lee Britt

Posts: 51 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: 02 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
That is very nice bull.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, congrats on an awesome hunt my friend!

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote