New
Find
Notify
Tools

MDL 94 Locks up ?? HELP!!
 Login/Join

<bstogsdill>
posted
(EDIT 1/29/01: 1/28/01 USRA called me back after my letter to them and is mailing me a shipping label to send the gun to an auhthorized gunshop in Arkansas. IF they fix it right and it works good I will be a happy shooter! But, I will always wonder if I should have got the Marlin instead)

I got a MDL 94 to Deer / Varmint hunt but it locks up. I posted the detail in the gunsmith forum, but evedently no gunsmiths own 94s or ever work on them, or they have taken an oath to not discuss them?

Anyway , I can only hunt single shot with it, and I would like to fix it. I strongly believe there is an adjustment internally, but I would like confirmation from someone who knows how to do it.

If anybody is interested in helping, I can repost the entire detail of the problem.

Thanks

Brad S.

[This message has been edited by bstogsdill (edited 01-29-2002).]

<Reloader66>
posted
You must find a good gunsmith in your area and get his opinion on what the problem is with you rifle. The problem will not get fixed or go away on it's own. Then get the rifle repaired before more problems crop up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It can be fixed, but you're better off sending it to USRAC. If you try to fix it yourself, you may void the warranty. It can be as simple as bending a part, but you had best let USRAC take care of it.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a feeding problem and I suspect the cartridge is overriding the rim stop and jamming the gun...Return it to Winchester or take it to a good qualified gunsmith.. If you don't have a good smith email me and I will direct you to one.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey bstogsdill, Are you using "factory" ammo? If so, have you tried a different brand?

If you are using reloads, what bullet are you using? Are you crimping in the cannelure?

Has this "jamming" just started happening? Did you lend the rifle to anyone, or could someone have used it without your knowledge?

Did the rifle work properly for awhile? Has "ANYONE" had it apart?

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<bstogsdill>
posted
Actually, it worked fine the first time I shot it - about 30 rounds.

The 2nd time shooting it, it acted up a cou-ple times- I thought it was from shooting wadcutters.

The third time I went to hunt and it acts up always- It is dumping the loaded shells from the magazine into the lower reciever before that arm moves back down that lifts the bullets up. The little lip moves down below the rim of the cartridge in the lower reciever, and it dumps them, and locks up the action and I have to pick them out one by one until the magazine is empty.

I expect and adjustment screw was not tightened properly since it fired about 30 rounds perfectly then after about 15 more rounds it wont work right for nothin.

It does it on Win, Remington, and Federal brass.

Using only one shell at a time, it loads my reloaded cartridges into the chamber just fine.

I sure hope to hear an answer from US Repeating Arms to send it back in and fix it for free.

Thanks for the help. It has not been apart- If it were not new, I would have it in a million pieces by now,but I did not want to void the warrantee .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey bstogsdill, Since it is a "new" rifle, I agree that it should go back and "allow" the folks that made it, to have a chance at getting it corrected for you.

------------------

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
These other guys are probably right on but before you do anything spray the hell out of it with WD40. Model '94s like that.
Good luck,
Terry

<10point>
posted
bs is it possible you took apart to clean it ? Dont worry, you dont have to answer, tho I will admit my sin.

The last time I stripped a mod-94 I had about 3 parts left over after I'd put it back together. The gunsmith was so surprised that I owned up to what I did he fixed it for free. He probably had 13 m-94's in the racks waiting for parts.

Ive since moved on to Bolt Action's and even I cant mess those up.........10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 10point, If you cleaned that M94 a few more times, you might end up with enough parts to have " 2 " of `em. ;^) Wouldn't that be nice?!?!?!

------------------

<10point>
posted
Yes, and I could open my own "parts store".......... ..........10