Find
Notify
Tools

D. Nelson Wyoming 2012
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hunt: Pronghorn and Mule Deer - Gillette, Wyoming
Outfitter: Randy Routier Outfitting (South Dakota & Wyoming)
Dates: Oct. 1 – 4, 2012
Rifles: Self: .308; Husband: .300 win mag
Ammo: Self: Barnes 165 gr.; Husband Barnes 180 gr.

My husband and I just finished an excellent hunt in Wyoming!

I booked this hunt through the AR “Outfitters- Offered & Discounted Hunts” with Randy Routier. I consider hunting mule deer and antelope in Wyoming a staple for my freezer. My husband and I love the sage fed critters. And, our larder was getting low.

Our hunt took place on the cattle ranch of Bill & Cindy Mankin, located just south of Gillette. Randy’s brother, Ryan, was our guide. Although Randy and Ryan cater mainly to bow hunters with an almost 100% success rate for both deer and antelope, we would be their only rifle hunters this season. Since we were mainly meat hunting, our expectations weren’t going to be demanding. We just hoped for success on our two mule deer and two antelope. I can’t over-state how surprised and delighted we were at the outcome. We would highly recommend this hunt to anyone.

Our meals and accommodations in the bunk house were included in our hunt. And, of course, we were very well fed in traditional ranch style. A light bite to eat and coffee before going out in the AM, a huge breakfast after the morning hunt, and a hearty dinner after the afternoon hunt.

Day 1: Our first plan was to get the antelope down. Then hunt deer in the remaining days. I have hunted this general area many times, but was surprised at the number of antelope we saw on this ranch. The first morning we checked out hundreds of antelope. From my previous hunt reports, you know my husband’s macular degeneration problems make it difficult for him to hunt a buck or bull in the middle of a herd or one that is moving around a lot. (I always feel sorry for pronghorn bucks determined to control their women. This is a seemingly impossible job for any species… but an especially demanding job for antelope this time of year.)

When we spotted one nice pronghorn on the move, I was first up. Ryan and I did a short stalk after the buck crossed from one basin to another. My shot was about 100 yds. off the sticks. He did run another 50 yds. before piling up.

Later that morning, Ryan got my husband on an equally nice goat standing on the edge of his harem. I am always prepared to make a back up shot, should the animal take off, as it is nearly impossible for my husband to make a fast second shot. This occasion was no different. So while my husband and Ryan readied for his shot, I too had a bead on his target. After my husband’s shot I could see blood pouring like a faucet from the buck’s shoulder, but I had already launched my back up shot. This buck was already dead by the time my back up shot hit. I’m such a helpful wife!!!! So sorry honey!

Day 2: We didn’t see any shooters in the AM, but very early the second afternoon, Ryan I boarded his Honda bench seat quad to check out a draw behind the ranch house area. We found just the freaky buck I could not pass up. He had been seen before, and nicknamed “Old Christmas”. He was still in velvet and had 14 little points and one long point of about 10 inches. We snuck up to within 175 yds and I shot from a prone position.

Day 3: The weather changed and it was cold and the sky was dark! We were after a muley for my husband. That morning we didn’t see anything except a few does. But that afternoon not far from the ranch house, we spotted 7 very nice bucks bedded down on a side hill at about 200 yds. This was a big problem, because there was no way we could get my husband on the right one. We drove on and found a big buck with two small bucks, but this guy spotted us and ducked down a steep draw and wouldn’t come out. On we went. We found another nice 4x4 with eye guards bedded down alone in the open on the edge of a cut. My husband made a 150 yd shot and rolled him over!!! Hunt done!!!

We had a day before our meat would be ready to pick up, so watched as the Mankin’s sorted and shipped calves. The next day it snowed.

We will definitely go back!!!!

D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice report, great pics, fabulous hunt it sounds like. Nice trophies. Congratulations

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd;

Thank you for fixing/posting it.

Best regards, Darin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing. Souns like a Win on all fronts.

Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Huge congrats...looks like tons of fun...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Nice job guys!! It was fun hearing about it and your fear of snow. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you had a good time and my brother Ryan was able to accommodate Bob and your self. Hunters like you make outfitting even more enjoyable. You're welcome back any time.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Hunt.I like your Buck>He is way cool!!!!OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
So, is/was your buck a stag? Sure looks like one from the picture.

Congrats to you both on a job well done!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Good story and pics. tu2 two great looking goats and tha muley buck in velvet has all the character in the world. Congratulations on a great hunt.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit: I know I'm such a whimp when it comes to driving in anything but sunshine!!!! You Alaskans are my heroes!

Randy: Thanks again for a fantastic hunt. I never believed we would take animals like these in 3 days.

Graybird: We where very surprised he was NOT a stag, but he did have some age on him.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darin,
Great report. Great hunt!
Love your antelope and the deer.
Keep it up!

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SWAMBO,

Yours is undoubtedly one of the most messed up bucks I've ever seen. I like it! Big Congrats to Bob on a very nice buck. So happy to see him out and after them each year.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Nice animals for a couple of senior citizens. As I think you may know, I'm an old fart too.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
Nice animals for a couple of senior citizens. As I think you may know, I'm an old fart too.

Bud; We can't let the "youngsters" have all the fun!!!! I'll hunt til I drop!

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done Darin! You guys have enough meat for a couple of winters now! Good shooting... and I wouldn't have passed up the NT muley either.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good trip... nice animals.

Thanks for sharing!

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote