New
Find
Notify
Tools

THINGS THAT HAVE WORKED WELL FOR YOU
 Login/Join

<Guest>
posted
Allen Day posted a photo of his Darcy Echols Rifle and many responded very favorably about that rifle. I got to thinking that since Allen hunts so much he may have recommendations about other outdoor gear that has really really served him well on his hunting adventures.

Allen suggested that there are one hell of a lot of folks here on this forum that hunt quite a bit, and that this topic would make a good general roundtable topic.

So, other than Rifles, what other items have you (anybody) found that really performed admirably on your hunts? What brand of clothing has served you best (filson anyone). Luggage? Knives? Binoculars? Boots? (specifics please)

Anything stand out in your mind that took all of the abuse that you could give it when you were out hunting and still came out smelling like a rose?

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my Danner boots. I bought them in 1993 and that year put them through heck. It rained and snowed the whole time I was on my elk hunt here in Idaho. I walked in mud up to my ankles, puddles closer to the top of my boots. Four days like this. The only part of my body that got wet where the boots were, was from the water running down my leg into the boot from the top. Obviously everything else on me was soaked...but I got my elk. I have used the same pair now for ten years without any repairs yet. They need to go in and have some minor stitching done and a sole replacement but for what I paid for them they have been a gold mine.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wigwam socks have saved the day for me on numerous hunting and fishing trips.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Filson Luggage is superb. Mine flew about 70,000miles the year before last and held up great. I think you will like the stuff with wheels for normal travel far better. Thier bags are big enough to hold more than you will want to carry yourself on the hike you will have to make in London Heathrow for example.
I love Filson wool also. It's warm,quiet, breathable and most importantly tough as nails. I think a set of Filson wool will outlast 5 insulated gore-tex rigs (I have browning Hydro-fleece and the top of the line cabela's in gore-tex). They can be heavier per degree of warmth than some of the new synthetics however. Filsons shirts are great if you don't mind ironing a bit.
I've had at least 6 different Filson Oil-cloth coats and am beginning to like them a little less than before. I had a pair of their combination pants that were heavy and quite noisy. I don't find any of the oiled cloth to be at all breathable or as warm as you might think. I did however come out of a 4 hour deluge (caused massive flooding) dry as a bone while wearing a Tin-Cloth packer coat. For my money the Tin,Shelter and Cover Cloth items are best for bird hunting where noise isn't as much as a factor and you're walking around enough to keep warm.
I like Danner boots very much, but find My Schnee Packers more comfortable. I probably wear my Schnee's 5 to 1 over the Danners.
Kifaru Backpacks are superb - check them out.
I'm going to try a pair of Russel Moc's, my friends pair looks awesome.

At the moment if I were going into the mountains on a hunt I would be wearing a wool Filson coat, Filson wool pants, Schnee boots, Cabela's polar-tech powerstretch underwear and carry a Cabela's MT-050 Quiet-pack raingear set in my Kifaru Backpack, next to a Gransfors-Bruks wildlife hatchet and a Chris Reeves and/or Bob Dozier Knife............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I agree with you wholeheartedly about the durability and quality of Filson luggage. The big, tough zippers alone are worth the price of admission. My favorite is the large duffle with wheels.

Other favorites items of mine:

KNIVES - Randall, Scott Cook, Chris Reeve, Victorinox

HARD GUN CASE - For airline use, Americase and KK Air

SOFT GUN CASE - Boyt (one of these goes on every hunt)

SLING - Brownell's 'Latigo'

AMMO WALLET - George Lawrence

CARTRIDGE BELT - For Africa, Westley Richards offers the world's best! I especially like the cartridge holder for pockets.

BINOCULARS - Leica, now especially the new Ultravid in 8X42

SPOTTING SCOPE - Zeiss Diascope 65T FL

CAMERAS - Contax T and Contax G1

SCOPES - Leupold, Leica

WATCH - Rolex 'Sea Dweller'. This just might be the toughest watch on the planet. I've had mine for some twenty years, and it's always accurate and has never failed me in any way. It's lived through just about everything, and it appears to be good for another twenty years. A watch is a critical hunting tool in my estimate.

BOOTS - For North America, 'Danner Light Hikers'
- For Africa, Russell 'Imperials' with 'Weather-tough" leather and Vibram Air-Bob soles

PACK BOOTS - Schnee's

GLOVES - Churchill (I take these on every hunt)

PANTS - N. America, Filson wool whipcord

SHIRTS - N. America, Cabela's Worstelon

CAMO - King's 'Desert Shadow'

RAIN GEAR - Peter Storm

SAFARI CLOTHES - Filson

SAFARI JACKET - Frontier Gear of Alaska

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
The IGNORE option on AR... Very very useful.
Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Brent

A Professor with a sense of humor.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Timex Indiglo ($29.99) Lightweight and waterproof - ten years of takin' a lickin' and it's still tickin'

Princeton Matrix LED Headlamp - 5 stars!!!

Swarovski 7x30 SLC Binos = Best performer (and best value thanks to Brad )

Leupold Vari-X III

Leica LRF 1200 (in a class by itself)

Matthews MQ1 bow

Gold Tip arrows

Muzzy broadheads

Summit Viper tree stand

Scott release

Garmin GPS III+

Benelli Super Black Eagle (w/ 4-shot Snow goose extention ) = Best performer

Rem 870 Express = Best value

Ruger 10/22

Ruger Mark II SS w/ 5 1/2" bull barrel (even makes me look like a good shot! )

RWS Model 54 - 22 cal (very hard on the crow/rabbit/squirrel populations)

Rocky Bearclaw boots - warm/durable/comfy

Saddlecloth material - I hate burrs!!

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler Partitions

Leupold scopes

Leica/Swarovski binos

Harris bipods

Kifaru packs

Sure-Fire 6P personal light

Randall #5 4" / Kaufman #15 4" / Leatherman tool

Talley rings and bases

4" S&W model 19/ Milt Sparks holsters/hardcast Keith bullets

Westley Richards ammo carriers

Filson Duffles and carry ons, Filson Wool vest

Schnees pak's/Russell PH's

Americase hard case/ Boyt soft case

Both the .300 and .375 H&H mags

The .280 Rem, handloaded with 150 NP's

Omega SMP/ Rolex Submariner/Seiko Diver

BMW K bikes

My wonderful and understanding wife; Karen

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This can cover a lot of territory .

I too like and use Filson luggage (basically a heavy canvas green bag with leather and metal latches). This bag goes with me to the cold wet bush and it goes with me on regular travel.

I use Nolser Partions, Barnes X.

LaCrosse knee high rubber boots and hip waders.

Helly Hanson rainsuits (outer wear).

Browning 4-part parka (GoreTex).

GoreTex rain pants.

Wool and GoreTex shirts.

Polypropalene long johns.

Leica 10x42 binoculars.

Gerber folding knives.

Cabela's Alaskan Guide tents.

Freeze dried food.

A good stocking cap and a ball cap.

Safety-conscience bush pilots...

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love 10x clothes and 10x rain gear ,Nikon scopes ,bio,spotting scopes.Vasgue boots they keep your feet dry.North Face tents are awesome also.Lastly a girlfriend that dont bitch about me going hunting and fishing .Have not found her yet!!!

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I second these.

Rocky bear claw boots

Muzzy broadheads

Gold tip arrows

Leupold scopes

and my buck 110C

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
In order to avoid confusion, I'll pattern my answer in much the same way as a couple of you:

KNIVES - Randall, Scott Cook, Benchmade folder

HARD GUN CASE - Americase

SOFT GUN CASE - Cabelas' water proof/floating

SLING - Murray Custom Leather

CARTRIDGE BELT SHELL HOLDER- Westley Richards and Murray Leather ( THANKS, ALLENSmiler

BINOCULARS - Swaro SLCs 10X42 and Leica BNs 8X42s

CAMERAS - Canon

SCOPES - Leupold, Swaro

WATCH - Rolex GMT Master. My dad gave it to me when I got my wings back in 1980 and it's been on my wrist ( save for two mainteneace cleanings)since then, including 20 plus years of carrier aviation, the Gulf in 91, one ejection( non-combat) afghanistan and every hunt in between!

BOOTS - For here, Rocky,for Africa, Russell PHs and Vibram Air-Bob soles

COLD WX BOOTS - Schnee's

Hunting Clothes: Cabelas micro-fleece/ Weatherby

SAFARI OUTFITS - Cabelas

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Filson Whipcord pants
Patagonia Capaline long underwear
SmartWool socks
Silva Ranger compass
Mini-mag flashlight
Stoney Point hiking staff. (I'd rather leave my rifle for hunting in mountains. Thanks Chic.)
Cabela's Worstelon or Woolrich wool shirt
Leupold scopes
Zeiss Classic 10x40 binoculars
Crooked Horn Bino Buddies
Crooked Horn day pack
Leatherman Wave.
Kershaw, Hunter's Edge, and Buck knives.
Danner and Wolverine boots.
Merrell Winter Moc's for camp wear (Wonderful after a day of hard hiking).
Baby wipes.
Dishwashing gloves for field dressing.
ProteinPlus PowerBars
SKB Hard Golf case. (I can put my rifle in a soft case, sleeping bad, pad, boots, bino's, coat, and a ton of other stuff in when flying.)
A good excercise plan.
Most important of all a positive attitude. Hunting is vacation for me. I go on every hunt with the attitude that I'm going to savor the experience and enjoy myself. Sometimes I get game, sometimes I don't but i always have fun.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I agree with most of the above posts. I can add these items:

Hydrastorm Predator hydration backpack (it also makes a great carry-on for hunting trips)

Dozier knives

Murray leather belts

Sealskin gloves

Tuffpak gun case

Red Ox gear of any kind

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the things that stand out for me are, of course, Filson clothing and my White's Smoke Jumper leather boots. Added to those, it's my MSR single burner stove - light weight & utterly reliable. I'd also add my MSR 3-man mountain tent. For where I go & the lengths of time of those trips, I can't risk using crappy equipment.
Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Unless there is snow on the ground it is Tennis Shoes(There quieter than my White Boots) and just about wool everything.I put my extra shells in some wool gloves.Then it is just the basics-Knive-Binocs-Saw-rope etc and the most important Lunch and water.

Best of luck.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same pattern as Jorge:

KNIVES - my own
HARD GUN CASE - Kalispel and TuffPack
SOFT GUN CASE - Boyt
SLING - usually surplus M-60 sling
CARTRIDGE BELT SHELL HOLDER- still working this one
Archery - Martin and Parker, Holosight, Muzzy
BINOCULARS - Zeiss Victory II 10x40
CAMERAS - Olympus E10
SCOPES - Leupold, Zeiss, Schmidt&Bender
Rangefinder - Leica LRF1200
GPS - Garmin Vista
BOOTS - Russell
Hunting Clothes: Browning Gore-Tex
SAFARI OUTFITS - Cabelas

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I put my extra shells in some wool gloves.
Best of luck.Jayco.

What a great idea!!

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All my favorite equipment has suitable substitutes in materials or design except:

1) polypropylene socks and underwear

2) telescopic sights

3) bonded/partitioned bullets

In that order.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any international experience, but, I have a lot of B.C., NWT and Alberta experience. For serious bushwhacking/hunting I prefer and use.

Wool clothing-Filson's, Swanndri from New Zealand, merino wool longjohns from Canada or New Zealand.

Synthetic clothing-Browning inc. Gore-Tex stuff, Cabelas undies in camo for warm weather backpacking-very light and works, for horseback, silk longjohns

Boots-Schnee pacs, Viberg boots from Victoria, B.C., Charles Van Gorkum from Smithers, B.C., top quality European mountaineering boots from Scarpa, Kastinger, Meindle and Mickey Mouse boots for stand hunting, new from Cabelas.I had a pair of Russell Mountain Hunters made for me in 1988, they are the worst pair of boots I have ever had, they are useless in the mountains.

Rifles- I have a wide variety, almost every classic 20th century hunting rifle is represented among the 27 big game rifles I currently have. IF, I had to pick, it would be a pair of synthetic stocked Pre-64 Mod. 70s in .338 Win., I have two pair of these and they are old, but, they NEVER fail me. For a new custom rifle, my tastes are the same as Allens, I would buy an Echols "Legend", in .338.

Backpacks-after 40 years and many of the finest expedition packs from all over, for short trips and basic meat packing, I prefer the "Bullpac" from Idaho with a discontinued "Screaming Eagle" camo wool rucksack from Swanndri and custom camo fleece stuff sacks for sleeping bag, etc. This is a very versatile system, the "Bullpac" looks simple, but it rivals the finest Gregory, Dana Design(original) and "Badlands" big internals for comfort and you can tie anything on to it.For an internal frame pack, I have used and highly respect the brands mentioned, but, for hunting, I intend to get a "Kifaru" "Rendevous" for the longer trips after Sheep.

Tents-Integral Designs from Calgary, Alberta. A Gore-Tex style membrane tent and better than the old Early Winters or even the Bibler tents I have used, pricey, but worth it. The owners of the company are from South Africa and are not the type of sanctimonious dorks you frequently find in mountain shops. These are the finest tents I have ever seen or used, they are worth the cost, I use their G-T bivies, as well. I intend to supplement my I.D. sleeping tent with a tipi from Kifaru, for long stays alone on fly-in hunts.

Sleeping bags-I have owned and used 12, the best are Feathered Friends from Seattle and Integral Designs which are both custom made and of superb quality. The best production bags are Western Mountaineering from California. i like the Cascade Designs sleeping pads, best.

Knives, I have custom ones from B.C. makers nobody ever heard of and a Leatherman Wave. I plan on getting a Scott Cook knife, this is Chuck's fault!

Optics, Leupold, Zeiss

Watch-Rolex "Explorer II"-thirty years old and still a very useful tool

Compass-Leupold Sportsman-35 yrs.old and still truckin', I am only vaguely aware of what a GPS is and don't need one in the mountains, anyway.

Serious first-aid and emergency kit with me at all times, period with two litres of H20, as well. I also use mountain stoves from MSR and Optimus withh no preference as they are both excellent and I have both.

Old, gimpy carcass-needs custom work, but, it's all I got!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Me too on the response form:
Knives: Buck and Case. Without the Lansky diamond sharpening set, the Bucks are a nightmare.
Cases: Boyt
Slings: either a 1.25 inch military or a soft cobra style as a Cling Sling.
Binoculars: B&L Zepher 9X35, Leica 8X42 BA
Cameras: One Shot Kodax. With the new filmn and lenses, they do as well as my Zeiss lense 35mm w/ filters.
Scopes: B&L and Leupold
Boots: Asolo TPS Highland GV, GTX 95's
Clothing. Patagonia Capliene, Regulator Fleece, shells,
Filson, Cabela's wool pants. Dahlgren socks.
Packs: Bianchi, Gregory
Exercise: hiking in the mountains w/ pack 5-6 days a week in summer or snow shoeing/using a Nordi-Trac machine in winter
Food/eating: Robyn Landis's book, "BodyFueling" E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Kutenaymtboy

I wonder if you could elaborate a bit on why you feel that the Russell product was "useless" in your estimation. I have traveled to their factory and have purchased shoes from them that have been quite good. While there I examined their boots at length and they looked to be a very fine boot at what I thought was a reasonable price for a custom fit handmade boot. What didn't you like about them.

With all of your experience, if you had to pick one and only one boot for hunting in your area, which would you pick.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Brittany's... I don't know about the smelling like a rose part. There is always something good to roll in.

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my Russells in 1988, they did not fit right when I received them and I returned them for refitting. I got them back with the main, rear seam of one boot unsewn and returned them again. When I got them back, they still did not fit right, I had a boot repair guy here adjust them.

They were advertised as being made of "Norwegian Krymp Leather" and would be waterproof, if treated as per their instructions, I did so and they leaked, badly. I took them hunting in north-eastern B.C. and they leaked so badly that I changed to my Kastingers for the rest of the Elk hunt.

The ankle support was non-existant and the boots became too loose and sloppy in steep country and so they were useless, remember, they were advertised as "Mountain Hunters" and lauded in print by a very famous gunwriter. They did not come close to performing as advertised and I would never buy another pair.

It's difficult to get by with only one boot here, but, if I had to do so and I have in the past, I would choose a light, mountaineering boot of full-grain leather, water-proofed with a beeswax based compound. The custom Van Gorkum boots would be my first choice and top-end Euro boots would be my second. For US-made boots, the finest I have ever seen are made in Spokane, WA. and these were quite common where I grew up as we were about 160 miles north of that city; the makers are "Whites" and they are excellent, world class boots, or used to be, at least.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can see that most of you have way to many brand names for me to compete with.

My gear is simple:

Rifles... Remington 700

Shotguns... Remington 1100 and 870

Scopes... Leupold Var II (Var III cost too much)

Scope rings and bases... Weaver or Leupold Dual Dovetail

Scope Coats are great

My Timex Indigo works everytime

Wife...Jo Ann who hunts with me

Boots... Cabela's hikers on sale

Cold weather clothing... Sleeping Indian

Safari Clothes... Cabela's

Replacement Rifle stocks... Hogue overmolded

Ammo... reloads or Federal Classic

Ammo belt holders... those from Federal work great.

Bullets... Hornady or Bear Claws

Primers... CCI or Federal

Powder... Alliant Reloder series mostly

Car... old, 1988 paid for

House... older paid for

Kids... old and paid for

Job... love it..work 7 months and have 5 months off

Retirement... doubtful, spent all the $ on Safaris

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd hate to give up using my headlamp for all the 1001 things to do after dusk;

and my radar cap/neck gaiter combo for moderately cold days, too....

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
So far I'm not in total disagreement with anything (except the Rem's ) but would ad Wiggy sleeping bags.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My stuff is pretty simple,

H/Hanson rain suit
Trekker Boots ($79 on close out bass pro, 5 trips to alaska)
Cabeleas sleeping bag
Redfield waterproof 10x50 binos
300 wby MkV ultralite, 180 gr barnsx, 165 gr Speer GS
Rel22
Courteney safari Boots (Rouges boots for back up in Africa)
Leather Courteney back pack
safari gaiters

700 rem 375 H&H in a $99 houge stock(dont like rem but it was on sale, served well, can't complain been with me for yrs. From Alaska to Africa. Rl-15 250 gr barnesx.

1947 willys jeep, I haul her to mexico to chase whitetails ever yr.

Mod 70 win, 270 win, wood stock sprayed with black undercoating, 140 gr swift aframes, rel 19. It rides in the jeep

Skinning knife I made from D2 steel, takes a lousey edge but keeps it all day.

Wranlger jeans, Kahaki shits, not much on Camo.

Resistol hats

Lpd and Nikon scopes

Transmision fluid for gun oil

Lee auto prime

Knight and Hale sunglasses $14 bass pro

Carhart bibs and Jacket.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Filson Uplanders but they are kind of heavy. Although they are extremely well made and very comfortable.

My sleeping bag is a REI brand. Very good.

I have a 5.5" Chris Reeves Green Beret knife. Tough and the blade stays sharp. I got the knife when I first came down here to Iraq and have used it on many convoys and cutting all kinds of shit. I also have a William Henry Carbon Kestrel. Very handy but the blade doesnt stay as sharp nearly as long as my GB knife. However I tend to use it a bit more.

Ive got a couple Filson shirts as well. Pricey but comfortable. Only compaint is they have to be pressed otherwise they wrinkle like no tomorrow.

Hunting Clothing- Columbia camo wool top and bottom. Affordable but still pretty warm. Patagonia capilene long johns. Smart Wool socks. Filson packer hat. When its cold I have an old fashioned hunting cap with wool ear covers.

My father has a Filson oilcloth jacket that he used on a job site. Before he got the jacket we was always cold and wet. With a wool liner he stayed warm and dry. But I wouldnt take it hunting. Too noisy.

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Things that have worked well???
Hiting the IGNORE field for Mortie and his pathetic "squil" threads. What a waste of bandwith.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
A Cabela's Zip saw and stainless, T-handled Whitetail Skinner (knife) with a gut hook and some saw teeth on the back side have helped me neatly clean dozens of deer in half the time I used to spend. My Lieca 1200 Scan rangefinder. My Minox binocs (recommended by a birdwatcher) are compact, light, and very clear for the money. Vasque boots with a seperate pair of Seal Skins socks have worked better than any boots I've owned with the Gortex layer built into them. I've used SAS Gortex pants and jacket under various outer layers for years. The combination seems tougher, cheaper and much more versatile than the garments I've tried with the Gortex built in. My Summit Supreme climbing treestand is easily the best I've ever used. I carry two little black plastic reels with an 18' tape to haul my gear up and down from the stand. They're quiet and don't tangle as bad a rope. Those little hand and toe warmer packets are the greatest hunting invention since the centerfire rifle. Oh yeah, my Chevy Avalanche is darned handy.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leatherman anything
Shannon Bug Tamer Clothing for Africa
Sure Fire Flashlights
Inova Microlight...I use it everyday for something
Swiss Army "Hunter" and "Waiter" model knives
Anything from Murray Leather
Nosler Partitions
Barnes X
Zeiss / Swarovski and Nikon optics
30/06 Rem Mod. 721 in its 3 rd stock and 3 rd scope.
Sako 222 Mag rifle...I have two with over 6,000 rounds thru each. Never failed.
My 30+ yr old Eddie Bauer "60/40 Stormproof" hooded windbreaker jacket.
Filson Red/ Black Wool coat and green Duxback wool pants.
Remington Thermax undies
Remington Worsterlon Shirts
Geo. Stafford 100% Cotton safari shirts. Wish they were still made.
Wrangler jeans
New Balance walking shoes for hunting in Africa

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rocky Boots for dry conditions, Muck Boots for wet.
Model 70 push-feed in '06.
Leatherman Wave and Benchmade Griptilian.
Butane lighters.
Filson moleskin pants; 'course they don't make 'em anymore.
Ruger Security Six in .357.
Peak 1 stove.
LED lights.

Posts: 44 | Location: Wolverton Mountain, NH | Registered: 22 February 2004Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Well
I am going to answer my own question. J.W.Hulme stuff works damn good. Not cheap, but outstanding quality, and guarenteed for life.

www.jwhulmeco.com

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy,
I have a friend who actually has a chair like that in his deer blind.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
jeff, I guess I just need to get out more my hunting is like, leave the truck at 4am hike till you can't go any farther and the start hunting. I did crawl up in a big wind fall one time but the sun was out and I fell alseep.
I'm sure you know our kind of hunting as I think you hunted last year with Chic and Howard

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The things I use

REI mummy bag w/ outer army gore tex liner
Browning Hydro-fleece clothing
Boots- Whites, Georgia
Knives-custom by G Little
Optic's-Leica or Zeiss
Guns- this varies per the type of hunting,
open area's-30-378-300 winnie-264 winnie
timber area's-7mm-08-308 and sometime Freedom Arms 454

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That I did. I loved every minute of it although Howards pink footie bunny pajama's were a little scary Must be a Pacific Northwest thing. It is a toatally different experience from hunting suburban whitetails. It was a longer hike to fetch water than it is out my back door to my treestand.

Jeff