Find
Notify
Tools

South Texas Addax hunt....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I spent this past weekend hunting Addax with some good friends on a ranch southeast of San Antonio....

To my surprise, the Addax on this ranch were UNBELIEVABLY skittish.....and the hunt ended up being one of the most challenging of my life. I've been to at least a half dozen different properties with Addax, and none of them were anywhere near as wild as these were.

I ended up taking a nice mature bull the last morning of the hunt. It was one of the most rewarding and enjoyable hunts I've ever had (even though it was BRUTALLY hot and humid the entire time). Here are the results....hope yall enjoy.

Here is my bull as he fell....

Glassing a young Addax bull down a sendero (cell phone pic)....

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Can you tell us about the rifle?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!! tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
The addax is a beautiful antelope. They are where the blackbuck was years ago with only about 600+/- or so left in the wild. I hope their comeback through breeding in the USA does as well for them as it did for the blackbuck.

Congrats,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
Congratulations. Can you tell us about the rifle?

LWD

It's nothing special.....just a 10 year old Browning A-Bolt chambered in .300 WSM that I've done a little work to myself. But it shoots....

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking critter! You guys from Texas sure have quite a few interesting species running around. How do they taste? I bet it would be a lot like any other African game animal??

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nube:
Great looking critter! You guys from Texas sure have quite a few interesting species running around. How do they taste? I bet it would be a lot like any other African game animal??

I haven't tried any yet....but I plan to this week. I've been told that it tastes exactly like Oryx/Gemsbok, which is absolutely phenomenal!!

I will probably marinate some Addax tenderloins tomorrow....

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
To my surprise, the Addax on this ranch were UNBELIEVABLY skittish.....and the hunt ended up being one of the most challenging of my life. I've been to at least a half dozen different properties with Addax, and none of them were anywhere near as wild as these were.

Roll Eyes

However, that is an impressive Addax, one of the best I have seen, congrats.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:

Roll Eyes

However, that is an impressive Addax, one of the best I have seen, congrats.

You can roll your eyes all you want.....it's okay. If I wouldn't have hunted the Addax on this ranch myself, I probably would not have believed how wild they were either. They were more skittish than just about any whitetail deer I've seen (very similar to Aoudad).

The entire ranch was covered in thick South Texas brush....with senderos cut through it. If the Addax saw you (regardless of the distance, whether it was at 100 yards or half a mile) they were hauling ass!!

I could have made it much easier by sitting in a stand over a feeder, but I did not want to do it that way. As far as a spot & stalk hunt....it was incredibly challenging.

I would say I walked at least 5-6 miles in two days, and this was the one and only opportunity I got at a mature bull. We saw another bull twice that was slightly bigger, but I never got a shot.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Also, to add something else....

This ranch has a small breeding population of Kudu (approximately 30 animals). The only Kudu I saw the entire trip were 2 young bulls that were standing by the road as we drove by after dark, coming back to camp Saturday night. We never saw any during the daylight hours.

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
tu2 Congrats!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can roll your eyes all you want.....it's okay. If I wouldn't have hunted the Addax on this ranch myself, I probably would not have believed how wild they were either. They were more skittish than just about any whitetail deer I've seen (very similar to Aoudad).

The entire ranch was covered in thick South Texas brush....with senderos cut through it. If the Addax saw you (regardless of the distance, whether it was at 100 yards or half a mile) they were hauling ass!!

I could have made it much easier by sitting in a stand over a feeder, but I did not want to do it that way. As far as a spot & stalk hunt....it was incredibly challenging.

I would say I walked at least 5-6 miles in two days, and this was the one and only opportunity I got at a mature bull. We saw another bull twice that was slightly bigger, but I never got a shot.

Wade A. Abadie

Glad you had fun, that is what it is about.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Beautiful trophy, Wade!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big fan of exotic hunts, but that is a beautiful animal. Congrats.
How big is the farm?

I hope i can hunt one day addax in the wild.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
How big is the farm?

They are practically extinct in the wild so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
quote:
How big is the farm?

They are practically extinct in the wild so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I know but maybe one day... Wink
Look at the black wildebeest, nearly extinct 100years ago...

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
How big is the farm?

The ranch I was hunting was 1,000 acres.

Unfortunately....I don't believe Addax will ever be legally hunted again in their native habitat. However, hunting them on a place like I did offers a true and legitimate hunt....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must say that is a very nice looking animal. Please don't take offence to this but I do not consider 1000 acres hunting. I don't care how "wild" acting they are.
That being said I do think you took some great pictures and I am sure it will taste great on the BBQ!! I am sure you had a great time out in the field as well. Congrats

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Forest Walker:
I must say that is a very nice looking animal. Please don't take offence to this but I do not consider 1000 acres hunting. I don't care how "wild" acting they are.
That being said I do think you took some great pictures and I am sure it will taste great on the BBQ!! I am sure you had a great time out in the field as well. Congrats

You are welcome to your opinion of course.....however, I would venture to say you've probably never hunted in South Texas either have you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No i have not and if it is a fenced property I know I never will.

Please know I am not judging you or putting you down for what you have done.

I have had my own experience where I wanted a zebra while in south Africa. I was taken to a nearby farm where the owner had 2 zebra on 4000 acres. I really did not know what I was getting into and in the end we blew about 4 or 5 stalks on the zebra nd chased them around the 4000 acres till I killed one of them. I look back to that experience and I am not very happy about it. It was not hunting at all. to find and kill those 2 zebras since my buddy got the other shortly after was a gimmee "hunt" if that is what you want to call it. Yes they were what you would call wild as they did not sit still if we got closer than 500 yards but it was only a matter of time before we killed them. It was not a hunt and I was disapointed I took part in it.

AS for yourhunt if you have no such feeling as I did then I am glad and congrats on your nice looking animal. I am glad you get to enjoy a species such as this to hunt. They are very good looking animals. You also did very well in taking pictures to show the buty of the animal

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Forest Walker:
No i have not and if it is a fenced property I know I never will.

Please know I am not judging you or putting you down for what you have done.

I have had my own experience where I wanted a zebra while in south Africa. I was taken to a nearby farm where the owner had 2 zebra on 4000 acres. I really did not know what I was getting into and in the end we blew about 4 or 5 stalks on the zebra nd chased them around the 4000 acres till I killed one of them. I look back to that experience and I am not very happy about it. It was not hunting at all. to find and kill those 2 zebras since my buddy got the other shortly after was a gimmee "hunt" if that is what you want to call it. Yes they were what you would call wild as they did not sit still if we got closer than 500 yards but it was only a matter of time before we killed them. It was not a hunt and I was disapointed I took part in it.

AS for yourhunt if you have no such feeling as I did then I am glad and congrats on your nice looking animal. I am glad you get to enjoy a species such as this to hunt. They are very good looking animals. You also did very well in taking pictures to show the buty of the animal

I really appreciate your input. It is nice to see someone who can talk about the subject without getting emotional, name calling, etc...

You have prior experience hunting inside a fence, and therefore have an informed opinion about it. You decided it wasn't for you, and I respect that a lot. I think everyone has to decide for themselves what is ethical and what is not.

I do not share your opinion, and feel the animal was taken under fair conditions.....but I accept the fact that it doesn't appeal to everyone. I personally have no regrets, and could not be happier with my trophy and the overall experience.

Thank you for the civilized response, I'd be happy to share a hunting camp with you any day (on low-fenced property obviously Wink )

Also, thank you for the compliment regarding the photos. I try to always spend a little time taking tasteful pictures which display the animal in the best way I can. Addax truly are beautiful animals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI, the Feds are giving ranchers till Aug 8 to say their .02 worth on addax, oryx and damas. Looks like it's a done deal that they will be a permitted animal. If you read the rules on what the feds require for permiting, it will put the small herd guys out of business. The fed govt has once again stuck their head up their ass. They have no idea the damage they have done to this beautiful animal.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmagltd.:
FYI, the Feds are giving ranchers till Aug 8 to say their .02 worth on addax, oryx and damas. Looks like it's a done deal that they will be a permitted animal. If you read the rules on what the feds require for permiting, it will put the small herd guys out of business. The fed govt has once again stuck their head up their ass. They have no idea the damage they have done to this beautiful animal.

Unfortunately, I think you are probably right. The anti's have much better funding than the EWA....and are much better at lying and using emotional trickery to lure the public into believing their garbage.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wade, are you going to do a FBM?

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Wade, are you going to do a FBM?

Oh lord.....I wish. Unfortunately that would cost quite a bit more than the hunt itself.

I'm just getting a standard shoulder mount, with a slight left turn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell me a bit about the animal please. Where do they originate from? Did they get hunted out?

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Myself and a couple buddies are hunting them Aug. 8th and 9th.

You certainly have a beautiful animal! You've added a little fuel to the fire and excitement!

Congrats!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nube:
Tell me a bit about the animal please. Where do they originate from? Did they get hunted out?

They are a type of antelope from the Sahara Desert in northern Africa. They are nearly extinct in their home range, due to poaching.....but there are lots of them on private property here in Texas.

A mature bull weighs around 300 lbs....and one unique thing about them is the HUGE size of their feet. They are nearly the size of a cattle hoof.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Myself and a couple buddies are hunting them Aug. 8th and 9th.

You certainly have a beautiful animal! You've added a little fuel to the fire and excitement!

Congrats!

Awesome!! I'm sure you will have a great hunt. If you don't mind me asking....where are you going, and who are you hunting with (company wise)?

Feel free to PM me if you would like.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
The USF&W are about to set regulations that could possibly end all hunting for SH Oryx, Addax and Dama Gazelle within the USA. Due to their endangered state in their native countries, the HSUS and other anti hunting organizations have seen fit to file suit to stop all hunting of the 3 species. Just another nail in the coffin to stop all hunting. I posted the link in this forum if anyone would like to comment before the deadline. Personally, I don't hunt Raccoons with dogs, but I will fight non stop to defend anyone that does. United we stand, divided we fall! Too bad we as hunters are too blind to be united on much else than arguing over who knows everything. The anti's love it.

Wade, congrats bud, that's a great ram and it could be the last one we see taken via hunting. Cheers, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote